Skip navigation

my mk1 5dr 20vt project now with new engine

Back to the top

my mk1 5dr 20vt project now with new engine

Hi all,
Im currently in the process of putting a mk4 golf 1.8t engine into my 1984 5 door mk1 1.1cl golf. I picked up the golf with 18000 miles on the clock for a bargain price of ?100. I towed it home and this is what it looks like.

I then went on to take the bumper off and engine out, which btw if anyone wants the engine i will accpet ?30 for it and the gearbox

Because the car was sitting really high the next step was to replace the old springs and dampers with a new set of adjustable coilover.

Whilst i was fitting the coilovers i also changed the hubs disks and calipas, i got these from a mk2 1.8 scirocco

This is what the car looks like now and its only lowered 80mm atm. It will be going lower!!!!!!!!!!

Next stage was to buy an engine. I did this by buying a written off mk4 golf so that i could sell some parts and make my money back.

Once i got the engine out there were a few things to do. I took off the automatic cambelt tensioner and replaced it with the mk2 golf 16v manual tension, changed the waterpump, head gasket and got my mate to fabricate the driverside engine mount.

After this was done i fitted the 020 fywheel and replaced the clutch with an organic driven clutch plate and fitted the gearbox.

Once i had the gearbox on the engine could finally be fitted.

The engine sitting on the mounts without the aid of engine crane.

Weather has been rubbish so not had much chance to do anymore to the car. I did get the intercooler in place using rip ties untill i can drill and bolt it, also fitted the radiator without it fouling on the oil cooler pipes. I did have to trim down the cooler pipes tho.

Also thought i should put on a picture of how low the sump sits bearing in mind i still want to lower the car more. Im going to get a mate of mine to weld up a sump guard. If anyone else wants one then maybe we could make up a couple at the same time.

Managed to get most of the intercooler piping plumbed in just need a connector to go from the 2.5" ic pipe onto the 3" ish inlet manifold.

Got the new 16v brake servo in. i had to shorten the threaded input shaft so that it didnt foul on anything.

The gear selector runs very close to the servo apparently. lol

Back to the top
nice work mate. are u doing this all outside? is it easy or easy-ish? i thought about a g60 but then my mind is kind of creeping towards the 20vt

Back to the top
looking good mate.  some nice work their.  i got those exact coilovers and run them as low as i can get them  :lol:   what engine management are you planning on runnig?

hello!

Back to the top

rov716y said

looking good mate.  some nice work their.  i got those exact coilovers and run them as low as i can get them  :lol:   what engine management are you planning on runnig?

I will be running megasquirt. Placed the order on monday so have about 5 more weeks of waiting lol. What are the coilovers like?

Back to the top
stiff very stiff but i am down on the bump stops:lol:!!

be sure to coat them in chain wax before you drive on them to prevent them seizing

hello!

Back to the top
Looking good, how much time did it take you to do all that?

Back to the top

Back to the top

welsh-mk1 said

Looking good, how much time did it take you to do all that?

It has taken me ages to get it to this stage. Not actually time taken doing the work but actually sourcing the parts and more importantly getting the money together. I have probably had the car for about 9 months and i guess i started it as soon as i got it. hoping to have it done for the gti spring festival.

Back to the top

foxymk1 said

where did you get the intercooler pipes from mate?

looks good  :D

Foxy i got the ic piping from ebay for ?60 delivered i bought two sets as my mate needed a set so managed to get them delivered for free. They should have been ?70 each delivered.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Good going….quite a bargain to start with by the way…a solid 18,000mile CL for ?100? Can't believe you're going lower than it already is though, you'll be dragging gravel underneath you as you drive along  :lol:. Gonna be a BEAST!  :wink:

Back to the top

Diesel-dubber said

Good going….quite a bargain to start with by the way…a solid 18,000mile CL for ?100? Can't believe you're going lower than it already is though, you'll be dragging gravel underneath you as you drive along  :lol:. Gonna be a BEAST!  :wink:

Yeah twas ?100 and only had 3 owners. couple of dents, bit of surface rust here and there but besides that it is solid.
I have decided to put 15" wheels on now due to hearing about traction issues so with the coilover wound right down it will give me about the same clearance as i have now.

:lol:

Back to the top
Matt,
Brilliant stuff mate, I'm doing exactly the same as you at the moment except I built up the parts list before starting.
http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ms&file=viewtopic&t=48007
I've also bought a complete engine as a spare (40k miles for 300 quid!) so as soon as that arrives I can nick the throttle body and a couple of pipes and should be ready to go.
Who did you order the megasquirt through??
Also mate I may be interested in a sump guard - if you find out a price or what they'll be like drop me a PM.
Good luck with the rest, loving the ride height!!
Rhys

Back to the top
Havent really had time to do much on the golf but have just broken up from college so have a couple of full days free.
Thought i would post up some pics of the golf with the new ronal turbos on.

Let me know what you think  :D

Back to the top
Looks good on those wheels, I have them on my cab and thats on the floor to.
 :clap:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Amazing job, now i want one too.
Cheers.

Back to the top
The wheels make a big difference…. it must give you a good feeling to see them on and hopefully inspire you to graze your knuckles again now that you've got free time!!!

Alot of respect goes to you for attempting the 20vt conversion yourself mate.  I'm eager to see this thread progress!!!

Post up some more pics of progress soon buddy… we're all waiting and rooting for ya!!

Back to the top
Really looking forward to seeing this progress - that will be a proper sleeper when it's done 8)

Are you keeping the colour?

Rich

Back to the top
looks awesome! cool to see a 5 door turbo! when you do a sump guard pm me! my kr aengine seems to sit low! and i want to lower mine even more!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.