Skip navigation

possible series 1 gti purchase - Not purchased ? bottled it

Back to the top

possible series 1 gti purchase - Not purchased ? bottled it

My search goes on to find a series 1 project, i have seen advertised a 1979 gti .  Spoke to the seller today seems genuine.  Just wondered if anyone has been to see it or knows the car.

Its up for ?1500 ono with no mot, needs a full repaint i recon and has rust to the ?A" piler, petrol cap area, arch and has had some welding done to rear axle mounts ??

The add reads ?
?Taxed till end of Jan 09 but MOT ran out in august.
Early GTI reg august 1st '79 . 175000 miles but engine fully reconditioned in '98 at approx 169000 miles. Car sat on drive cause i dont have enough time to play with it (Frustrating!) thats why reluctantly decided to sell.
Got lots of spares including drivers seat in original tartan red as seat in car is ripped. Original interior,only thing not original is sunroof and lowered suspension by 30mm (cant tell unless next to standard GTI). New set of side stripes never been on car,basically wanted to completely restore car to perfection,but a family put paid to that!
Owned since July '97.?

any advise on viewing it appriciated.

Back to the top
seen the car at tatton park and talked to the owner,good luck 8O

Back to the top

butler said

seen the car at tatton park and talked to the owner,good luck 8O

thanks for the call mate its defo put a better pic of it in my mind  :wink:

anyone else seen or know this other comms appriciated.

Back to the top
I dont know it, but loose the eyebrow spoiler and it will
look ok!, sounds good for the money though, worth it
in my opinion  :wink:

Dibbler

PS keep us posted!

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
lets hope but bet its gonna be that simple  :lol:

can anyone give me any tips on problems area's with the series 1

was going to look at the usual for rust

sills, "a" posts, front inner wings, outer arches, spare wheel well, door hinge drop etc. bottom of rear panel, scutle panel.

i beleave they have a common prob with the axles mounts ??

Back to the top
The areas to check for rust are the same as for the S2, but you need to consider parts are harder to obtain and there is likely to be more of it on an S1. Rust can be everywhere, it is just some is a lot easier to fix than others (front wings are replaced in a few hours, chassis where axle bolts to takes days to repair). You should check for dodgy repairs just as much as rust.

Banner

Back to the top
:D  thanks everyone, i have bought the car (still need to collect it)

just wanted to check is the chassis number supposed to be on the drivers side inner wing rather than the scuttle panel and does it only contain numbers unlike later vw's which usually start wvw… etc

also can i tell off the chassis number if its a genuine gti ?

Back to the top

GTi-UG said

just wanted to check is the chassis number supposed to be on the drivers side inner wing rather than the scuttle panel and does it only contain numbers unlike later vw's which usually start wvw… etc

also can i tell off the chassis number if its a genuine gti ?

Sounds the same as my 76.

If you understand the chassis numbering system then I think you can tell if it's a genuine GTI. There's a thread on here somewhere (a quick search didn't reveal anything though)

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
Well done on the purchase, Good to meet you at NEC  :D

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top

ant5 said

Well done on the purchase, Good to meet you at NEC  :D

likewise ant  :wink:

just got the chassis no. 1793599??? its 10 digits long with no letters  :?  can anyone tell by the number if its a genuine gti ? did a quick searh also as sugested but couldnt find anything for a series 1.

also should there be a vin plate on the front panel there was a small one on this but didnt pay much attension to it  :oops:

lots of work to be done………….. :|

few pics i took

the bad bits   :(  

really bad bits   8O

[

(if theres too many pics let me know and i will take some off)

Back to the top
looks like your going to have some fun at least the rear beam mounting points have been done already that saves some hassle :wink:

Back to the top
How much did you pay for that again?

Back to the top
?650……. :|

Back to the top
AFAIK there's no way to tell the model (ie GTI or not) from the chassis number, unless you had access to VW build records. There might be an address you can write off to (VW), to obtain this info?

Back to the top
Car looks lovely!  Reminds me of my old T-reg one.

Are you just going to do the bits it needs for MOT and use it or is it getting a full stripdown and rebuild?

Back to the top
thinking of going for a partial strip down rebuild not planning on doing the engine and engine bay as that all looks ok. i dont want to do unnecessary bits for the sake of it. it will get a full decent repaint.

sills, replace full outer hope inner is ok…
rear arches, poss inner too…
fuel pipe section, replacement part
"a" post (used vag part)

planning to use it everyday when its done its only a 5 mile round trip to work and back.

with regards to the chassis no i will give vw a try see if they can tell me anything over the phone.

Back to the top
VW UK could not help me they suggested the VW museum….. i phoned them up and a very helpful chap took the chassis no and email me back the following info.

Dear Sir
the Volkswagen with the chassisno. *1793599???* is a type 172 331 a Golf Mk I GTI. Built on 13.06.1979 and delivered on 14.06.1979 to GB.
Best regards,
Eckberth v.Witzleben

Mit freundlichen Gr??en

Eckberth v. Witzleben M.A.
Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
Postanschrift
Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
Dieselstra?e 35
38436 Wolfsburg
Tel.:05361/921544
Fax.:05361/52010

Result !   8)

Back to the top
Result!  That's a nice bit of provinence.

So this guys now going to get 50 calls/emails from members of this website - ha ha

Well the car looks like a whole bundle of fun.  I reckon you paid a good price for it too.  Enjoy! :-)

Back to the top
after feeling unsure for the whole week, highs and lows i have decided to follow my gut instinct an not make the purchase. not that i dont think its worth it after thinking why i sold my last 2 mk1's i just bottled it and let a very nice man down this morning…. :oops:

i think my short lived mk1 days are over……… :cry:

Back to the top
No more mk1's then?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.