Skip navigation

picked up cabby... finally some pics of seats

Back to the top

picked up cabby... finally some pics of seats

No worries. Gimme a shout when you going to attempt your side cables - would be cool if i could take a trip up to lend a hand if needed and see what goes where etc.  My problem is that the golf is my daily drive so don't have the luxury of taking my time on the job - need to make sure if i start it then i can get everything back together by the end of the day.

Back to the top
Like i said before guys if you need any help give me a shout  :wink:

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
ok well ill give you a shout darth when the cables arrive and when i am going to attempt them. will have to be a relatively good day as im working outside lol.

cheers stafford i would imagine help will be needed lol

Back to the top
right mate. got the tensioners today.... think im going to try and fit them this weekend if the weathers good or if i get into the garage for the weekend. if youd like we could organise something for saturday or sunday if u aint busy?

Back to the top
Think my weekend is pretty free. Will PM you my mobile number.

Back to the top
Rae, to replace the rear window frame this will involve unstapling the roof fabric from the existing one, which will more than likey have been trimmed right back which will make it extremely hard to refit. Have you tried running a thick bead of silicone all around the inside of the window seal, where it overlaps the roof on the outside of the car? This sorted the leak on mine and many others cabbies and could save you alot of work and expense!!

I've replaced my side tensioners also. It's a good idea to tie some string to both ends of the cable incase it dissapears back inside the roof when you close it. Half open the roof so you can flex the sides allowing the cables free passage when you insert them. I used a long, thin, stiff but flexible plastic tube to push through the roof with the string attached to the end (the tube was that normally attached to a brush for cleaning the pipes on a home-brewing kit!), which means when it comes out the other side I could pull the string and pull the cable into the roof. It's much easier than trying to push the cable itself through the roof with it's rounded end. Lube up your tool (oo er) before you insert it into the roof too, but not with vaseline, it corrodes some plastics. Good luck!

1989 MK1 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet, 'All White Edition' - currently having a new blue roof fitted. Yes it's not white but it requires less Cif to clean :)

Back to the top

all_whiteGTi said

Rae, to replace the rear window frame this will involve unstapling the roof fabric from the existing one, which will more than likey have been trimmed right back which will make it extremely hard to refit. Have you tried running a thick bead of silicone all around the inside of the window seal, where it overlaps the roof on the outside of the car? This sorted the leak on mine and many others cabbies and could save you alot of work and expense!!

I've replaced my side tensioners also. It's a good idea to tie some string to both ends of the cable incase it dissapears back inside the roof when you close it. Half open the roof so you can flex the sides allowing the cables free passage when you insert them. I used a long, thin, stiff but flexible plastic tube to push through the roof with the string attached to the end (the tube was that normally attached to a brush for cleaning the pipes on a home-brewing kit!), which means when it comes out the other side I could pull the string and pull the cable into the roof. It's much easier than trying to push the cable itself through the roof with it's rounded end. Lube up your tool (oo er) before you insert it into the roof too, but not with vaseline, it corrodes some plastics. Good luck!

wel i did think about slicone for the time being but the frame is well past it. there is a gap under the window the whole width and about 2" deep. through here you can see into the boot and you can see how rotten the window frame is. the gap gets bigger and bigger every time you open the roof so i have now had to leave the roof be and put a cover over the whole car as im finding huge swimming pools in the boot with the rain.

as for the info on the tensioners- thank you very much  :D . this will be very handy

cheers mate

Back to the top
next question..... just got offered a supercharger, second hand but recently rebuilt. am i able to put this onto the engine i have? 1.6 gti

Back to the top
not unless you fancy blowing the engine apart theres lots of mods to be done before that can be fitted best starting with a g60 engine :wink:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

not unless you fancy blowing the engine apart theres lots of mods to be done before that can be fitted best starting with a g60 engine :wink:

ok that was my original plan. think ill stick with it lol. cheers mate

Back to the top
started to take the window frame out of the roof yday….

it appears a lot worse than i even thought. the window basically fell out, then as i started to take the staples out (the ones that hold the roof to the frame) i realised there was loads of movement in the frame. cant believe i never noticed before but the frame is that badly rotten that it has clean snapped appart at the bottom corner :(

Back to the top
and now... i just got myself a gti splitter from ebay. one of the deep ones, i think they look so much better

Back to the top
ok for thosse who asked for, i finally have pics of the seats. the fronts are totally gone but the rears i reckon could be saved?

fronts

rears

let me know what u say…. new interior?

Back to the top
i will swap you my interior for yours maybe some cash one way as i only really need the rear bench but have a full interior from my cab avail

Back to the top
infact i just need one panel from rear bench as its the fabric i need.

Back to the top

rae_cabby said

and now… i just got myself a gti splitter from ebay. one of the deep ones, i think they look so much better

Got a pic or a link mate?

T

Back to the top
ok han id be up for a swap, but any pics of urs first? im lookin for something not bad condition. do have money to spend

sorry tian dont have pics and ive deleted the link, but il take pics when i recieve it and some when on the car

Back to the top
rear ebnch is in for sale section and isnt as bad as it seems. will try and find some of the interior front seats if reequired. altho the fronts are in durham and the bench is in york. can all be togethr if required. where are you based?

my set is in good condition, one small discrepancy the fronts re velour and the rear is fabric but i never noticed in two years until the ex pointed it out..
pics to follow.

Back to the top

han said

rear ebnch is in for sale section and isnt as bad as it seems. will try and find some of the interior front seats if reequired. altho the fronts are in durham and the bench is in york. can all be togethr if required. where are you based?

my set is in good condition, one small discrepancy the fronts re velour and the rear is fabric but i never noticed in two years until the ex pointed it out..
pics to follow.

ok wel the only way id be able to give a yes or no answer is to see pics  :D . im more interested in getting the mot right now so if the right interior comes along that would just be a bonus. im based just a half an hour drive away from aberdeen? peterhead

Back to the top
you would need to look at courier for them then - but getting them in one location is not that difficult as i can get a friend to collect them and bring them to a meet to me rather than me having to see the ex!!

heres a pic i have to hand not the best

but thats the pattern. will get pics sorted for you of fronts.
they come up a treat with some hand shampoo, i was going to strip them back and machine handwash them, but tbh since i got the new interior i'm not bothered about doing anything wit them!!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.