Skip navigation

map of members..

Back to the top

map of members..

is there a map of members on this forum where people can attach their location and username/car? i've sene it on other forums and its quite helpful to find local people.

I'm spending a lot of time between the North East and North West atm so wondering who was about :D

H x

Back to the top
What so you can go on a chavvy hunt and rob them, even thou your female i tend to worry more, been with my missus 11 year so i take every caution i can :lol:  can't see why you want to know, name, car and where it is just because another site has done it.
You know my location in my sig, my username, if you spot us, pull over and have a chin wag or mention in the WAS IT YOU section
In my opinon doing this and giving every detail about you and your car is asking for the wrong person aka scumbag (Not you) to come visiting you whilst your either away or asleep, wake up and car gone.
Apart from that i like the idea you mentioned, in todays' society you have to be security conscious.
I hope you understand my reason of reply, for safety of members and there classics.
I am friendly so if you do see me let on as in 4 past spottings, i have let onto female mk1 owners, they look and carry on with a big worry on there face, would be nice to speak to female owners, if only they would stop
Pete

Back to the top
Err, nobody's going to make anyone add their location…

And besides I don't think anyone mentioned putting a name or address down or anything like that? Don't see why the details would need to be any more specific than the stuff that is already in the avatar details?

I think it's a cool idea. Han, did you mean users would update their location every so often, or that the map would just contain the location entered when members signed up?

Mat

Back to the top
i jsut thought they could be in one place… just say im in YORK  or rough area and im not going to tral through where everyone is.

not wanting to know your pin number of you d.o.b or house number. just areas..
i know dom is in york and a few others i've seen at dub pres, but im going to be lancaster way a lot more and don't know who's there.
 iwthout sitting and going through a list of members in order of location which will take forever a map is always helpful.

plus my geography is shit so names aint always that good. i thought lancaster was south of york.. apparently not!?

Back to the top

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

han said

i jsut thought they could be in one place… just say im in YORK  or rough area and im not going to tral through where everyone is.

not wanting to know your pin number of you d.o.b or house number. just areas..
i know dom is in york and a few others i've seen at dub pres, but im going to be lancaster way a lot more and don't know who's there.
 iwthout sitting and going through a list of members in order of location which will take forever a map is always helpful.

plus my geography is *CENSORED* so names aint always that good. i thought lancaster was south of york.. apparently not!?

I asked this a little while ago and nothing really happened with it.  General location would be good…. you could organise car sharing and/or convoys to big events etc and help others if they break down etc… just makes sense to me and cant be too difficult to impliment?

Back to the top
one that was far more entertaining that a map to see where people are is a pub! On a design forum im a member of, theres a jpg of a bar which users (if they wish) can download and photoshop themselves into and upload again. it makes meeting up alot easier as you know who to look for without anyone giving out personal details. could perhaps have a carpark or summet which users can paste an image of themselves/their car into?

Back to the top
brill.. frappr was what i used elsewhere. ideal to know if you see something and want someone to check it out, or just meet new people.

if you want to be unsociable and fix your car on your own then fine..

Back to the top

han said

brill.. frappr was what i used elsewhere. ideal to know if you see something and want someone to check it out, or just meet new people.

if you want to be unsociable and fix your car on your own then fine..

So, you see a car youre interested in, in dudley, youve got to come on the forum to check the map to find someone in dudley to post a pm to them. Then youve got to wait for a reply, if they dont msg bk or cant help youve got to start again.

If you want advice or a favour from someone in a particular area, why not just post a thread asking if anyone live in that aea who can help? cover more people in one go!?

Back to the top
its not for help. its about knowing who's near by. a million posts sayin who's in *insert place* is a waste of forum space and reading i don't want to trawl through threads. a map just shows which users are in which area. i dont want specifics. jsut an easy way of identifying

i don't want your bank details.. just want to know who's nearby for meets etc.
who to look out for.

sorry for taking interest in people in my area.
why is everyone wanting to flame round here… i found what i wanted with the help of some members… jsut dont see why the same people like to flame

i was just curious as to who's nearby without asking and having to wait for replies and not having to trawl through a members list noting locations.
just wondered who's in what region as NW doesnt seem to have anything on it… and thts what im interested in due to being over thre a bit atm but not living thre.

Back to the top
I think han, it's because people like to sit in front of the computer for far too long and become paranoid in the world of forums!

Not a bad idea, if you mean groupings in line shropshire, Birmingham, etc etc.

The other things to do is buy a crap car and buy bits off the forums, you meet some tidy people and also some right numpties!

Back to the top
i know a fair few people, but i also know that many of the mk1 owners onl really visit this forum.. and i was trying to save myself some time rather than going through all forum members by hand.

basically the other half is in lancaster and doesnt really know anyone.. so i thought why don't i try and meet people thre too?!

Back to the top

han said

its not for help. its about knowing who's near by. a million posts sayin who's in *insert place* is a waste of forum space and reading i don't want to trawl through threads. a map just shows which users are in which area. i dont want specifics. jsut an easy way of identifying

who to look out for.

why is everyone wanting to flame round here… i found what i wanted with the help of some members… jsut dont see why the same people like to flame

i was just curious as to who's nearby without asking and having to wait for replies and not having to trawl through a members list noting locations.
just wondered who's in what region as NW doesnt seem to have anything on it… and thts what im interested in due to being over thre a bit atm but not living thre.

In your last post you wanted people to look at stuff for you and help you fix your car. now its changed and you never wanted help or advice, you want to know where the meets are and how many members are in the NW?! If you look down the left hand edge of the page, you'll find the regions section of the site which includes 'North West'. That Includes members profiles and up coming meets. If youre not sure where you want to go then look in the meets section of the forum

Back to the top
where have i asked for people to fix my car? knowing where people are can be handy if you want someone to look at something for you in there area.. or seeing if people know a car rather than hoping you come across someones profile with the information filled in.

its just putting where everyone is on a map.. is this such an issue? seeing where people are… might help with organising of meets and such.

flamers - give over. no need to be so negative it spoils the feel of the forum.

i love my mk1 and thats why im here, not to cause trouble or to pretend i own one. just to meet people who have the same woes and troubles as me.
and yes the forum does do this, just thought a map would be nice as a visual thing as my geography is shit.

Back to the top

han said

i love my mk1 and thats why im here, not to cause trouble or to pretend i own one.

Hmm… Little digs!! I think you'd find ive never pretended to own one. I make no secret of that fact so wind you neck in! :wink:

Back to the top

bigdave said

han said

i love my mk1 and thats why im here, not to cause trouble or to pretend i own one.

Hmm… Little digs!! I think you'd find ive never pretended to own one. I make no secret of that fact so wind you neck in! :wink:

thats not aimed at you. the person it's directed at knows who it is as i'v had cross words on Golfgti.co.uk with them about pretending to own a mk1, and passing off pics of my cab as their own.

Back to the top
oooooooh. ok sorry

(had you noticed im in a bad mood this afternoon)

Back to the top
back to the op.. does anyone want to keep on topic? this has worked well on edition and such to visualise where people are from in map form, all in one place.

Back to the top
nice idea, like mentioned earlier  somebody tried  a version of this but i'm sure if you could come up with something decent ask the mods.  no need for too many details , forum name and location should be enough, if you want to contact  anybody then you could pm them via the forum. go for it han

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top

bigdave said

han said

who to look out for.

In your last post you wanted people to look at stuff for you and help you fix your car. now its changed and you never wanted help or advice, you want to know where the meets are and how many members are in the NW?! If you look down the left hand edge of the page, you'll find the regions section of the site which includes 'North West'. That Includes members profiles and up coming meets. If youre not sure where you want to go then look in the meets section of the forum

The Regions pages are desparately out of date and need a bit of a refresh, I believe it is on the list of things to do but its been there over 3 months now. The NW page is a little out of date but at least has some info, some pages (NE for example) have never had anything on! And those regions on the left no longer reflect the meets which are going on at the moment.

To his credit, Andy (A5OPY) had put a lot of effort in trying to sort stuff out. There's a sticky in the Regional Meets section with proposed newly defined regions. A clickable map would be a logical way of presenting the different regions, though.

At the end of the day, local meets are only indirectly linked to the club, its simply a bunch of people in one particular area organising a date/time/place, the forum is a handy place to seek new members and sort out/let people know plans though. So its a case of finding the most local one for you, and making sure you keep checking back to its thread in the regional meets section for late updates etc (sometimes they get cancelled or rearranged).

Han are you in the NW or is Cheshire/Wales nearer to you? There is a meet coming up on Sunday and you'd be welcome to come along……!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.