Skip navigation

Mk1 1.6 Gti Project Rot Box!!! BAD NEWS!!

Back to the top

Mk1 1.6 Gti Project Rot Box!!! BAD NEWS!!

id do that  weld some more metal in to the box section , but if i was you id cut the floor out and put new in ,like you said you will have to do it again later , if you just repair it . ive had the same problem a bad repair that someone made and ive had no choise but to start all over agian ?

Back to the top
Before I said, 6-7 patches and its okay, any more and its big enough to put a new floor in. I'll stick with this advice, I can't see/count from the pics how many patches or areas damaged, you'd need to look at, though?

Back to the top
out of interest lads. whats this thing on the left hand side????? :dontknow:

Banner

Back to the top
Its a jacking point. Its also the location of the support used during manufacture.

Back to the top
as long as its sound after you have welded it ,then it will be ok ,but like i said its up to you ! i just did not see the point in doing twice if you no what i mean .

Back to the top
well i'm back at work monday so i'll try and get my hand on some steel.

what thickness will i need???

Banner

Back to the top
what welder have you got and you really need metal that you can shape a bit if you no what i mean

Back to the top
1 mm or mabye 2mm  , that should be fine im useing reapir panel for my beetle floor and there not very thick

Back to the top
how are you getting on mate?

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

How are YOU getting on???

Back to the top

paul_c said

whatalotafun said

How are YOU getting on???

when i saw that you had commented on this i knew exactlly what  your post said (word for word).
it's wierd how you can get to know someone elses habits on here hey :wink:

Back to the top
snow's slowing me down a bit.

and back at work this week.

have a look again at the weekend and there should be some progress, just preparing things at the minute :wink:

Banner

Back to the top
well done a little bit but the weather really slowing me down, hopefully tomorrow get a bit more done.

to cold to go outside so i been cleaning up some bits in the shed stood next to the heater. expexcting a delivery from frost on monday to paint them all up

also the rail that runs under the footwell had split. fully welded just like new

while i was cleaning spotted this…!! 8O think i need a new one

should do more tomorrow hopefully :dontknow:

Banner

Back to the top
8O yep new one.

looks like fun tho. what does the underside look like now

Back to the top
bit warmer today so had a play outside

made a template out of cardboard just to get a rough idea of things

then the good old trusted grinder came out and made sparks fly, drill some holes and bent the return that fits up against the sill

got myself under the car and started to cut out the rust

after alot of sparks and some hammering put up the repair panel to make sure i'm on the right track. looks good to me 8O

then put the new improved rail on and bolted it up

before welding can comence need to cut out the footwell from inside the car to sort this mess out

let me know what you think, and help and advise would also come in handy!!!

:mrgreen:

Banner

Back to the top
No particular advice but a general tip: if you're making a cardboard template then cutting it from metal, and it needs some bends put in it, write on the cardboard template (then on the metal, before its bent) IN or OUT to signify the direction of the bend. There's nothing more frustrating than spending ages making a piece out of metal, only to band the last bend in the wrong direction. And since its sometimes really hard/impossible to simply straighten it out and make the correction, you might end up throwing it away. I've done it once, so nowadays I always mark things up and make it as simple as possible.

Also on bends, a piece of cardboard can be bent quite sharply but metal will have a radius, you need to allow for this (the radius will have the effect of lengthening the sides either side of the bend).

Back to the top
looking good. are you going to cut that lot out or the inside too. just to tidy it up a little, and could weld across from the top too.

Back to the top
looks good mate , your gona have fun welding that under there .

Back to the top
yep welding upside down should be interesting but i'll try anything once.

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

yep welding upside down should be interesting but i'll try anything once.

make sure you are wearing googles, if a bit of that lands on your eye, you will not be happy.

had a piece land on my shoulder melted through my t shirt and into my skin
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.