Skip navigation

mk1 caddy- project "rustowagen"

Back to the top

mk1 caddy- project "rustowagen"

I hope you dont mind but I had a spare hour earlier so i thought id have a play;

Back to the top
Quiet day in the studio dave???  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

tyeness said

Quiet day in the studio dave???  :mrgreen:

You could say that! I was downstairs in the bindary for a cpl of hours helping collate things earlier!!  8O

Back to the top
cheers dude thats awsome  :lol:  gonna draw some more up later. fel free to have a play around with other fonts etc  8)

Back to the top
nice work there curtis i have a soft spot for caddy  :wink:

Back to the top
i think everyone has a soft spot for a caddy  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
havent done much this week as ive had some tme away and going to hit it hard this week end now im full of energy and exitment :D mainly as im going to pick my carbs up tomorrow morning and then having a test fit and small mock up with the motor box and carbs in the bay over the week end. :p

come home from work today and see the caddy out of the garage and dad walk out with a grin on his face, wasnt sure what had been going on but was a nice suprise to see this…..

say no to seam sealer!…the bay is going to be semi smooth and simple. all the seem sealer is going (not much left now) but need to get another wire wheel or 2. just wanted to do a bit before we put the motor in. also got rid of the expansion tank for the rad as im gooing to run a big top fill rad. also going to have a nice tidy up with te wiring once it all goes back in. may possible run the wiring for the headlights around the inside of the wing just to tidy it up a bit :td no other piks im afraid but im sure thre will be a huge pregression over the week end

Back to the top
heres some more piks from today enjoy peeps…..(this is a test fit and make sure it all goes in ok as weve never done this before) engine will be back out next week once weve had a play with some sort of air feed. then will finish the bay up and paint it then strip the engine and paint that….

then with the twin 40's on

all comments welcome….

Back to the top
got my carbs bolted in today after sorting some other clearance issues out. was nice to see them in there without getting someone to hold them up! engine is already back out and started to make some plans for the bay. by the time we sorted everything thing out didnt have much lght left so i made a bit of a start on the bay. going to concetrate in here for now and get it all in primer before we put the engine back in for another fitting for extra secret goodies  :wub:

heres a couple piks from today. enjoy peeps…

before the grinder came out to play..

…and after, got to get the wire wheel in all the little places next then carry on around the rest of the bay…

Back to the top
Looks like this is gonna be a proper nice caddy, i've always wanted a caddy but the mrs won't let me! And you've got 2, lucky!

Back to the top
havent had any updates over the last couple of weeks even though i have been doing bits and bobs. all the work has mostly been in the engine bay which is slowly getting there. next big step is to get it up n axle stands so the steering rack etc can come out so i can paint around and behind it.
 cracked the welder out yesterday as we splashed on a reactor helmet so i thought i mite give it ago, didnt turn out to bad for my second attemp at welding filled most of the holes i dont need on the pass side of the bay, already skimed sanded and primerd now. just a couple little imperfections left and to sort out the batter tray area.

also half way through doing the drivers side, all taken back to bare metal as was the other side, welding as i go around. not got much filler left so going to concentrate on the other side and get that done first.

been doing a fair amount of work on the bulkhead also, had a new clutch plate put in quite a while ago so quite a bit of smoothing to get that to blend back in again, also filled in a couple of small holes and filled in a few dents here and there. still got some holes to weld up in the scuttle then should be pretty much there…

all comments welcome as usual….

Back to the top
Looking good!!!!! nice smooth engine bay

I've gotta do some welding on mine and i'm a complete beginner so not looking forward to that!!!!

Is as hard as everyone reakons????

Banner

Back to the top
i didnt think it was that hard, its much easier with a reacting helmet compaired to the old school ones! just dont expect to be overly good. i done what i set ot to do which was fill in some holes, the welds didnt look overly impressive but they are strong welds. just practise with the different heats and wires feeds on a small sheet before you start mate to get the hand of it. im sure youle be fine!

Back to the top
todays/tonights upddates. dad got the front end all mostly stripped out for me today so i can get the bay all cleaned up around the stearing rack and other places down the bottom area. only the wish bones and steering colum bottom joing left to go then its all ready to have the remanding areas taken back to bare metal and primed then maybe stone chip the bottom section.

anyways heres what i done after work, done a little more sanding then broke the primer out, still a fiew small bits here and there but really pleased how shes turning out now. all those hours of welding, grinding filling and sanding are becoming worth it now! enjoy peeps

Back to the top
Looks awesome mate, be looking forward to seeing it finished!

Back to the top
cheers dude. just relised i missed a hole update! cant wait to see it finished aswel been long time now. gettingt there though. having a right head ache with brakes and wheels, my 13s maybe for sale as i will need some good stopping power and ive been told 13s wont fit over bigger brake set up!  :banghead:

Back to the top
Yup I was reading that on Fendubbers, the wheels would probably shift on here easily enough if you go for big disk and ting. I might be interested if I wasn't after 14"s :(

Back to the top
wheels were already spoken for even before they where up for sale by a few peeps. im now after 14s aswel! really want wide steels and im not sure if i ould pull off black alloys to make them mean loking like the wellers do  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Yup I was thinking about having some steels banded but it's just so bloody expensive I don't really know if it'd be worth it :( Only really meant to be a temporary fix till I get new wheels after the car gets repainted and everything.

What colour is the truck going to go? Black steels look sooo dirty. In a good way of course :P

Back to the top
yeh i was thinking the same bud about the price of them, could get a cheap set of alloys or splits and refurb them to make them something special for the same price! the trucks hopefuly going sattin blue, door signs pinstriping here and there and should be some rad looking wheels once i found some  :lol:

didnt get much done just a little bit of sanding. dad went to a pipe benders today a picked up some 90 angles to start on the air ducting system that were going to make to get cold air onto the carbs which are going to have a big filter over them. just about to order that and some other bits and bobs now :D also got a top fill rad hopefuly ariving thursday.

heres a couple of pictures to keep the enthusiasm going sorry they are a bit poop though B)

heres the pass side engine mount after a second skim and sanding, got the shape now just needs finishing off around the corners and a few low spots here and there. will finish bot sides up over the week end i hope. not much going to happen between now and the week end though :tb

heres how she sits at the mo. it seems as if nothings left, which as dad pointed out is a good thing as parts can only go back on now which is a good way to look at things i suppose. anyways comments as usual please guys…

oh also forgot no one else pm me about selling the wellers as they have already sold, but cheers for all the interest already :I
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.