Skip navigation

Poor Hill Climbing

Back to the top

Poor Hill Climbing

Hello, I am having a few minor problems with my car at the moment. Generally it runs 'adequately' but the performance of it is quite bad on hills. It slows right down on even a slight incline, the emmisions are 'heavy' (according to the MOT) the timing is out (it was setup by hand) and it runs hot.

What I need is a guide to setting the carb (including sorting the vacuum hoses out) and to do the ignition timing too.

Its in good condition, but 150k on the clock and my neglect has left it only suitable for short trips around town.

Oh and if anyone can give me some idea how fast/good on hills it should be then that would help too.

Can anyone help? :D

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Setting up mixture and timing is covered in the Haynes manual, and varies across different models, as does the 'performance on hills' - which is hard to quantify. Also don't overlook things like condition of spark plugs, oil, air filter, points (if fitted) - basically, when's it last been serviced???

Back to the top
Points, oil filter, plugs are less than 1000 miles/ 3 months old
Oil pump is new, oil changed etc.
Wheel bearing and tyres done.

I've got the Haynes manual and the carb manual. (pierburg 1b3)

Air filter is a K&N which 'could possibly' need cleaning, doesn't look too bad but it's had an oil bath from the breather from when it had problems with oil getting in the carb from the breather.

'Performance on hills' hmm well should it be slowing down on slight hills in 4th at 60/70 mph and 5th is nearly useless unless on the flat or downhill. It's like driving a 1000cc and I had one of those and I'm sure it wasn't as bad as mine plus it refuses to rev past 4k

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
If it refuses to rev past 4000rpm (in neutral), there's definitely something wrong with the car. Have you checked the mixture and ignition timing, and checked there's no vacuum leaks? Also, is fuel delivery consistent?

Back to the top
sorry

Back to the top
Edit, wrong post

Back to the top
Where in manchester are you, pop her down and i'll give you an hand fella, see if we can sort her out.
Pm me if you want to do that bud
Pete  :wink:

Back to the top
not sure if it'll rev past 4k in neutral but it won't driving it.

Vacuum hoses are suspect, none of them seem particularly well fitting (other than the one to the brake reservoir) might get a 10ft length of SHV and redo that.

I've been tweaking the co2 screw and it seems to be a bit cooler, powers a bit better, but that could be down to the weather, hard to tell really.  Plus I don't really know carbs and I wouldn't know where to start.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Don't tweak the CO (mixture) screw unless you can measure the mixture!

Back to the top
Well I only do it in 1/4 turns so that I can set it back when I'm done, but fair enough,measuring mixture doesn't sound particularly 'home workshop' friendly.

So would redo-ing the Vacuum hoses sound like a good start?

Fuel flow seems fine, fuel filter is clean.

Something to mention would be it stutters when coasting in gear, theres a mis-fire in their somewhere which probably is to be expected considering…

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Yeah definitely, sort out your vacuum hoses.

Back to the top

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Too exspensive for what you want, you only need standard vaccum hosing about ?1.50 metre and thats all you'll need
Like paul says, dont mess with co's screw, until timing is bang on, it is always best as i do to take it to a garage a friends one if you have and let him/her do it on the co system then it will be spot on fella.
Anyway pm replied too, will'll get her sorted bud
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
Standard? pah….  Surely paying over the odd for something is what owning a car is all about?  :lol: I want gold plated re-inforced diamond encrusted vacuum hoses and nothing else, but failing finding that where's the best place to get the standard ones? and in what size. I'd suggest 3-4mm would be about right wouldn't it?

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
FLAPS

cut off a bit of ur old and measure it to be sure

Back to the top
I dont have to..

The current ones are hose ends with a plastic pipe through the middle going to another hose bit which connects to the carb or airbox, thats why I don't think they'll be making a good connection. I'll goto BMS and take the pipe-ends with me, see if I can get a 3m length of it or something.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
You can keep the plastic parts of i think it is 2 pipes, one to dizzy and other to airbox, thats why you don't need much, just replace ends, the main one that splits is one at back of carb
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
The one that controls the 'airflap' bit is missing anyway as is the piece of thick hose that gives the warm air into the airbox I'll need that working this winter I think, its already getting cold :)

Oh I discovered the throttle body heater isnt working, so I need one of those if possible although it should be too bad without it, its there for a reason i'm sure :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
I've got the thick air duct hoses, but can't find a local shop that does vacuum hoses anyone got any ideas?

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top

Madferret said

I've got the thick air duct hoses, but can't find a local shop that does vacuum hoses anyone got any ideas?

That's strange!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.