Skip navigation

What do you think?

Back to the top

What do you think?

Hi peeps, i went to view this today.

Its a 1.6 5 speed GTI with early interior.

On the log book it says it was 1st registered in 1986 but has a V plate on the car.

Just wondering how this is possible, unless if its a private plate?

www.un-phased.com

Back to the top
likely a south african import.
looks o.k. from here. proof of the pud's alway in the eating though

Back to the top
it was probably imported into the uk in 1986

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
Ahh i thought it might be an import.

does ?700 seem fair with 140k on the clock?

www.un-phased.com

Back to the top
Strange one

does it have history

V reg would explain series 1 interior, but has series 2 lights so couldhave had a new backend

Could either be a south african import with a private plate, or even as Ans said, imported back into the UK in 86 and log book doen wrong

Either way I'd do some serious research before parting with any cash…

Back to the top
Have a good look around the suspension towers, are they solid ? also is it using any water/ overheating problems.   have a read of the buyers guide and see what you think, what price ? history, tax mot ?  i like the look of it though.

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
This would be my 3rd mk1. Ive checked the towers, inner wings, filler neck, wings, inner sills, OSR seatbelt bracket and are all good.

Apart from the floor is going orange but is solid.

I ran it upto temp and it was good, apart from a bit of gas leaking from the exhaust downpipe.

Im going to HPI it Sunday at work, and ive asked him for the history.

Tax and MOT till the end of the month.

www.un-phased.com

Back to the top
it's hard to say with out seeing in the flesh but it looks on the face of it to be a bit of a bargain

Back to the top
I agree with wooders.

Back to the top
Have you got the first bit of the chassis number?  That should indicate the year of it.  Looks fairly tidy.

Banner

Back to the top
This car was for sale on edition 38 earlier in about march this year, was tempted to go have a look at it, but the seller then would not go lower then about 1k if i remember right, and i wanted to pay about half that, so no point in even going to look.

It had a gearbox problem then, and no history with it, i was also led to believe it was a series 1 with later rear panel on it  :dontknow:

Back to the top
good info kenno best view car and check it out i guess if your interested :wink:

Back to the top

Kenno said

It had a gearbox problem then, and no history with it, i was also led to believe it was a series 1 with later rear panel on it  :dontknow:
that wouldn't put me off. the likelyhoods of everything on every mk1 being original is a tad slim. i'd be happy with a good mk1 that had a series 2 back panel and a good thrash about should give an indication of how good the box is. was this info from the owner?

Back to the top
Was not trying to put anyone off the car, i would imagine it is a totally different seller now anyway. And it aint hard to put another gearbox on anyway.

The last time it was for sale it had no tax , no mot and the problems so was not worth IMO what the guy wanted for it, now if its had them bits sorted and maybe got an mot, i reckon its a bit of a bargain.

Just did a quick reg check on it and brought back this

CAPID      
Capcode     999900
Make     VOLKSWAGEN
Model     GOLF GTI
Derivative      
Transmission      
Fuel     Petrol
Colour     Silver
Chassis Number     17A0046154
Engine Number     EG166084
Registration Date     17/04/1986

Its not a full hpi check but thats all a bit strange, what car was the EG engine in

Back to the top
EG is an early mk2,i think.

Back to the top

Kenno said

Was not trying to put anyone off the car,
sorry kenno, i wasn't suggesting you were. it was more to balance the negative comment of ben scab.
 the eg is the 1.6 gti engine

Back to the top
i may be negative but its only because i wouldnt want to see anyone stitched up with a car that may or may not be legit

it could just e its been rebuilt at some point with other parts  :dontknow:

Back to the top
you have to be a bit more sensetive in what you post now ben. you've an election to think of and the press just love to stir up trouble. we can't afford to have you splashed all over the front pages of the sun tomorrow morning.

Back to the top

wooders said

you have to be a bit more sensetive in what you post now ben. you've an election to think of and the press just love to stir up trouble. we can't afford to have you splashed all over the front pages of the sun tomorrow morning.

sensitivity mode now on :mrgreen:

Back to the top
could it not simply be the rear pannel was rotten and needed replacing some time in its past but the then owner couldn't find an s1 pannel?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.