Skip navigation

Project Mello Yello

Back to the top

Project Mello Yello

Hi guys ive finally got my GTi cab.

Honestly not what i had expected. I was ready for a car a bit worn and torn as you would expect from a car this age but what met my eyes was quite shocking.

(note the bulb swimming in the D/S rear lamp)

Firstly if your gonna laugh just do it. i dont know if i was laughing or crying on the drive home.
Probably a bit of both (hysterics). lol

So here is the story. I first saw this on gumtree a few months ago looking sorry for itself but going cheap ?400 and i considered taking a look (cos i liked the lary paint) but some git cloned my card abroad and rinsed me out.

After a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait i managed to pocket a grand to one side for a project. I sent the guy an email to see if it was still going and he said yeah ?300 cos he moved (no space).

On a pure whim (i slap myself now!) i decided to just get it and deal with whatever came about (SLAP,SLAP,SLAP).

This is the result of my hard earned cash

I thought you might find that amusing.

Oh yeah forgot to mention it cost ?200 to get it taken to Sommerset where im moving soon. :banghead: This also means that i wont get a chance to see it properly for a while. I hope its not rotten right through.

Anyone got some spare sand paper????? This is gonna take some elbow grease to drag back from the gutter eh!!

Considering the rust n paint damage i know the last job (if it gets that far) is to get a respray. Same colour or what??? First job is to strip her and see if shes worth it i guess.

Hope i aint just flushed ?500 down the swanny.

Any comments? Nothing nasty please i know its a s**theap already :oops:

Make me laugh if you can. I need it :cry:

Back to the top
give yourself another one of them slaps

Back to the top
you got yourself a pack of polos there
all them holes !!

anyway good luck with the project think you mite need it ! and channge the colourrr to turkis green!!

jimmy

Ratty 83' 1100  Golf Now With 5 Speedsssssssss  :D   (Holly)

93' Polo Coupe ! .. Mates Project Car     (Poppy)

70' Beach Buggy - Holier Than A Church !!!    (Lilly)

72' Beetle in a thousand pieces (bro's)   (Daisy)

Back to the top

Holly83 said

you got yourself a pack of polos there
all them holes !!

anyway good luck with the project think you mite need it ! and channge the colourrr to turkis green!!

jimmy

I cant see turkis green on the paint chart is it a colour or is turkis a member??

Oh or do you mean Turquoise??

Back to the top
turkis green normally found on a vw beetle 1964

really msart colour ill see if i can find the paint code tomrw for you

jimmy

Back to the top

Holly83 said

turkis green normally found on a vw beetle 1964

really msart colour ill see if i can find the paint code tomrw for you

jimmy

Cheers Jimmy.

Gonna sprawl the web and try to find some pics.

When i saw the car i realized it had a respray at some point but ive just found out that there is a kind of pink tint. Probably flake.

Sounds disgusting.

Back to the top
certainly does my boss is just painting a bug this weekend in the green so when he does if i can think on ill take some photos and post them

jimmy

Back to the top

Holly83 said

certainly does my boss is just painting a bug this weekend in the green so when he does if i can think on ill take some photos and post them

jimmy

Cool would love to see those. Does he have his own paint shop or is he paying to have it done? Just wondering what sort of paint job i can get at what cost nowadays??

Your on the south coast yeah??

Back to the top
Its a cabby.....and its yellow. Fair enough for a lady, but big NO for a man :lol:

Back to the top

Mullet52 said

Its a cabby…..and its yellow. Fair enough for a lady, but big NO for a man :lol:

The wifes getting her when im done. She dont know yet. lol

Then i move on to my tintop.

The yellows going anyway as it needs spraying. Any ideas??? i was thinking champaine gold with matching deep dish alloys????

Back to the top
Excellent mate

I hope you decide to keep the loud paint, that colour is cool, would look awesome with a new black roof and chrome small bumper  :D  :lol:

I applaude you for saving it, might be worthwhile joining up as a member tho mate, its ?15 for year, but you'll get 10% discount from car hoods northern and 10% from GSF so will save the ?15 quite quickly

Watching this one come along

Back to the top

Lawsy said

Excellent mate

I hope you decide to keep the loud paint, that colour is cool, would look awesome with a new black roof and chrome small bumper  :D  :lol:

I applaude you for saving it, might be worthwhile joining up as a member tho mate, its ?15 for year, but you'll get 10% discount from car hoods northern and 10% from GSF so will save the ?15 quite quickly

Watching this one come along

Just done IT now my good man. IM A FULL MEMBER. YEPIEE

Back to the top
im from bradford up north in yorkshire

garage i work at is strictly aircooled only im afraid

apart from the odd mechanical bit on mi golf :D

he wont touch any water-pumpers

hes a wicked painter though

website is

Home | vwrestorations

jimmy

Back to the top
Cool the the red series 1 looks mint.

Back to the top

New Cabby

I may be getting my hands on a black Hreg cabby soon so wish me luck as this will put a smile back on my face after this fiasco. :mrgreen:

Also a yellow MK1 on a cover of golf+

http://www.thegolf.co.uk/

Im not sure what issue it is but its on the right hand side in an ad. Looks cool.

Back to the top
turkis green - standard, and very common, split screen camper colour

Back to the top
It might be a bit of a mess now, but just imagine how proud you'll be when  you stand  back and look at it all done!  8)

Well done for rescuing another MK1 and not letting it get stripped.

:clap:

Back to the top

debs said

It might be a bit of a mess now, but just imagine how proud you'll be when  you stand  back and look at it all done!  8)

Well done for rescuing another MK1 and not letting it get stripped.

:clap:

Thanks debs :y:

Its encouragment like that, that makes me wanna save her.

Although if she is rotten i probably will be forced to strip her for parts  :cry:
I dont wanna do it but im not going to make my money back selling her as a project.

Lets just hope she is solid. :pray:

Will be checking her properly next week sometime so i will post pics when i take the trim off.

Back to the top
lol you bought it because it was yellow lol and your on about changing the colour!! dont do it!!

Back to the top

chrismk1van said

lol you bought it because it was yellow lol and your on about changing the colour!! dont do it!!

Dont worry yourself :lol:

Im gonna stick with the yellow as its the way that she was born to be and ive only seen one other yellow cab so fairly rare me thinks. But alas she will need a respray cos if you look closely at the pics you can see the pink flake showing up :sick:

Absolutly disgusting. :(

I think it must of been a girls at some point :oops:  :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.