Skip navigation

All you guitar nuts..

Which guitar?

#1.. The SG {-} [1 vote]
#2.. The Telecaster {-} [10 votes]
#3.. The Les Paul {-} [3 votes]
This poll is closed. You cannot vote unless it is reopened.

Back to the top

All you guitar nuts..

i had a gibson sg special in vintage white, with gold hardware, black scratch plate and ebony fretboard. i put a pair of prs dragon (zebra) humbuckers in it. it was bloody awsome! they're three very different guitars and you really need to play one or two of each to get a feel/sound for them. what sort of music do you play? what sort of amp will you play them through? if money is no object and you don't want a cleanest of clean sound, then get a prs mcarty rosewood. as long as it had a bit (even the smallest bit) of drive through it, there has never been a more awsome sounding guitar.

Back to the top

wooders said

i had a gibson sg special in vintage white, with gold hardware, black scratch plate and ebony fretboard. i put a pair of prs dragon (zebra) humbuckers in it. it was bloody awsome! they're three very different guitars and you really need to play one or two of each to get a feel/sound for them. what sort of music do you play? what sort of amp will you play them through? if money is no object and you don't want a cleanest of clean sound, then get a prs mcarty rosewood. as long as it had a bit (even the smallest bit) of drive through it, there has never been a more awsome sounding guitar.

righty ho..

basically, i play EVERYTHING!! from AC/DC to Fleetwood Mac, but i have an effects pedal to sort out different tones and whatever..

and the amp i will be playing through depends on what guitar i buy, havent bought it yet ;)

BUT 75% of the time, i will be playing music with a lot of distortion (money for nothing- dire straits) sort .. but for that bit of clean/solo stuff i want a guitar that (with use of a pedal) can change in an instant, which my guitar can't do, because its electrics can't handle all the awesome through it

so.. what im going to do (ive just decided) is go down birmigham and go to a music shop i know, and have them grab me the two remaining guitars (i know they have them) and i'll set both up the same, play them, then switch from clean to distort..

i have too much time nowadays

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
plug in an sg standard while your there. you may even like it.
 whatever you end up with, please please, allow ?80-?100 for a proper set up. stoning and fret dressing. you can buy a brand new gibson les paul standard and it's not PROPERLY set up. find a good luthier local and get it done.

Back to the top

wooders said

plug in an sg standard while your there. you may even like it.
 whatever you end up with, please please, allow ?80-?100 for a proper set up. stoning and fret dressing. you can buy a brand new gibson les paul standard and it's not PROPERLY set up. find a good luthier local and get it done.

i know enough about guitars to set one up properly, a pro could certainly do it quicker but i can do it for free

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
including stoning and fret dressing? in the words of tweekie 'bidi bidi bidi what a guy'

Back to the top
i know enough to setup a guitar but i'll still take a new one to be dressed and stressed.

having built a guitar from scratch including neck i still took it in to backalley music to get it sorted.

Back to the top
Wooders and Novocaine are right X, you can get a cheap guitar with a great set up and you'll wanna play it all the time.  Whereas, a lot of very pricey guitars can play like dogs.  I'd definitely go somewhere where you can try some out, but i'd always take an old guitar over a new one.  And, even 80's guitars are starting to really appreciate now they are hitting the sacred 'vintage' status.  Good luck with the hunt.

:wink:

Back to the top
Not that I'd tell you what to do with your own bread or whatever, but why does it have to be a new guitar? I've never bought a new guitar, and never regretted it. It'll have loads of character, though you have to hunt around for something good.

The last guitar I bought about 5 years ago was a '91 Jap Tele with a tobacco burst and literally the biggest frets I've ever seen. Sounds awesome with anything - pretty idiot proof to get sounding good which suits me :D Cost me ?200 part ex with a Tanglewood PRS copy (which was also quite nice but a bit poser-y for me). Can't beat it.

Alternatively save save save and get a Ric 612.

Back to the top

Back to the top

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
flip it. jimmi hendrix style.

or do as i did and learn to play right handed.
did it with the drums too.

Back to the top

novocaine said

flip it. jimmi hendrix style.

or do as i did and learn to play right handed.
did it with the drums too.

too late, i know how to play too well with my left hand, trying to play with my right (have tried recently-ish) is too alien..

and i cant get on with a jimmy hendrix style method, too much of a perfectionist.. which answers why i want it to be new

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
fair enough.
i learned right handed 10 years after starting.

it does feel very strange though and for a while you find yourself making chords backwards which is fun.

Back to the top
Okay, i have had a rethink, and have got it down to 2 options:

there is (exact colour) the Fender telecaster standard:

OR (a different, but awesome) choice 2, Dean Vendetta:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Love the occasional guitar-related thread on here.  

How come the re-think to those two guitars? Teles are nice, but I don't reckon they've got the oomph when you wanna crank it up a little.  I've got a les paul standard and absolutely love it.  But I reckon if/when I get another it's gotta be a Fender Strat.  They've got such great tone, from clean picking, to blues crunch, to all-out marshalls turned to 11.

what amp will you play through?

1983 Lhasa Green GTI

Back to the top

Benici said

what amp will you play through?

for now, just a marshall 30 but maybe a better one at some point, with a v-amp or similar

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

guitar

just read this thread, its brilliant.

I've owned a Gibson SG, Les Paul and a Tele i and i must say my favourite by far is my Fender Jag. People give them alot of stick about being old fashioned but its got a Gibson scale neck but all the electronic wonders of a Fender and teamed with all the chrome and the coolest shape it for me is a winner. I see you've narrowed your search down to 2 options and i must say they are good options but i'd always go with the fender. It will play really well (as long it gets setup correctly) and will be woth more at the other end when your trying to shift it.

hope thats of some use

Ross

Back to the top

Re: guitar

tiddles said

just read this thread, its brilliant.

I've owned a Gibson SG, Les Paul and a Tele i and i must say my favourite by far is my Fender Jag. People give them alot of stick about being old fashioned but its got a Gibson scale neck but all the electronic wonders of a Fender and teamed with all the chrome and the coolest shape it for me is a winner. I see you've narrowed your search down to 2 options and i must say they are good options but i'd always go with the fender. It will play really well (as long it gets setup correctly) and will be woth more at the other end when your trying to shift it.

hope thats of some use

Ross

cheers mate, and yeah im pretty much settled on the tele aswell 8)

but i dont get paid until 10th oct so ive got a few weeks to finalise my decision :lol:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

can't really go wrong with a tele

Back to the top

wooders said

X said

can't really go wrong with a tele

ah well, im about to add something into the mix..

IF i don't find a guitar (apart from the tele, which i still haven't fully decided on) then what i'm planning to do is lob about ?250 into my respray fund..

this is SORELY tempting, as atm im aobut 25% saved, so throwing another 25% of the fund in one lump (instead of 5 lumps of ?50) then this will push my fund a whole deal..

i really need to get some priorities sorted.. and QUICK..

but all the same, thanks everyone for your help/advice.. this is what forums are for

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.