Skip navigation

All you guitar nuts..

Which guitar?

#1.. The SG {-} [1 vote]
#2.. The Telecaster {-} [10 votes]
#3.. The Les Paul {-} [3 votes]
This poll is closed. You cannot vote unless it is reopened.

Back to the top

All you guitar nuts..

..and anyone else that would like to give a valid opinion..

I'm out for treating myself to a new guitar soon.. and i've narrowed it down to 3 choices…

and i've checked they've all got similar electrics (cheap electrics in my guitar means i cant play stuff well, the guitar just wont make the noises :banghead:) so purely on look, which would you choose:

the SG.. (yes i'm left handed)

Fender Telecaster

or a Les Paul (i have a LP and love it)

now obviously im not gonna pick the guitar just on what you guys (and girls) say, but it'll help me get rid of one of the choices :lol:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
i'd keep my eyes peeled on ebay for some decent lesser known guitars.

Back to the top
Wots wrong with the Stratocaster?

Back to the top
sunn mustang.  :D

steer clear of the SG far to many people out there with them and to be honest there not that good.

telecaster has a really nice sound that can be very erm. blue's like as long as it's not a squire (although these days they are as good as and with new pickups can be better)

and the les paul. well thats a very nice guitar if you can afford a good one.

always been a fan of the strat though maybe a nice fatboy.

Back to the top
Always the tele cause the following play/played em'

Syd Barrett
Jeff Buckley
Graham Coxon
Bob Dylan
David Gilmour
Jonny Greenwood
George Harrison
PJ Harvey
Keith Richards
Joe Strummer
Pete Townshend
Thom Yorke

need anymore reasons?

8)

Back to the top

blans said

Always the tele cause the following play/played em'

Pete Townshend

Played the SG as well Live at leeds,Woodstock,Isle of Wight 68 & 69 ditched it when they would'nt supply him for less than $5000 a time!!

8)

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
you need to talk to my old man!

He has over 30k's worth of guitars, plus he plays in a band.

I'll ask his verdict on the above for you.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Les Paul all the way for me

Back to the top
hendrix and clapton also played sg's along with angus

Back to the top
right.. upon (detailed) spec lists, ive reached the conclusion that the SG is out, as it appears to be using its name as a selling point :(

but, if this guitar was made in a left handed version, then there would be no question:

:drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

paul_c said

Wots wrong with the Stratocaster?

the stratocasters are very good, i've played a proper lefty fender at a friends house, and they give a very smooth sound (thin lizzy - parisienne walkways :D)

but ive never really like the shape of them :(

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
zac wild. why does the sg use it's name as a selling point and the les paul and tele do not?

Back to the top

wooders said

zac wild. why does the sg use it's name as a selling point and the les paul and tele do not?

well.. ive assumed this, because comparing a Gibson Les Paul is about ?500 cheaper than an SG made by the same company.. and the SG is nearly ?1,000 cheaper than the telecaster..

and they all have very similar specs.. so it makes no sense otherwise

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
gibson les pauls are more expensive than gibson sg's in comparable models. i.e. special, standard, studio and so on. telecasters usa fenders are ?1000 cheaper than equivelant (not that they are in any way) sg.
 what specific models are you looking at> the ones in your pics are epiphones.

Back to the top
Good thread chaps!!  

I've played one of these day in day out for 3 three years solidly, i've toured all over the world with it and it is miles better than any modern fender.  

http://nashguitars.com/gallery/s_series.html

My tools of trade and i take it more seriously than my golf i'm afaid…  (though it can be very close) and I know its showing off but.   :oops:

Guild 70's dreadnought, Nash strat, Fender Strat, deluxe US Telecaster, MIJ Burny 70's les paul special, 80's Rickenbacker 360.  

Get Made in Japan 70's and 80's replicas by burny/tokai/orville over modern mass produced guitars.  They are amazing in comparison.

:wink:

Back to the top
hell yes. i've got my 70's sunn mustang sat next to me right now and it's by far better than any mass produced modern day bull i've played including an SG.

oh and rickenbacker. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Back to the top

wooders said

gibson les pauls are more expensive than gibson sg's in comparable models. i.e. special, standard, studio and so on. telecasters usa fenders are ?1000 cheaper than equivelant (not that they are in any way) sg.
 what specific models are you looking at> the ones in your pics are epiphones.

*feels like a bit of an idiot* i obviously wasn't looking that close at the models, they were different.. but tbh the electrics and other thingies were virtually the same.. so the price is still strange..

and the pics are just for colour/image reference

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

Which guitar

Les paul or any type of guitar made by Aria

Solid Gold Easy Action

Back to the top
lets get this on track. how much is your budget?

Back to the top

wooders said

lets get this on track. how much is your budget?

well, i actually dont know, im looking for a guitar to buy, and its out of those three (well, 2 as the sg isn't all that brilliant as we discussed earlier) so once one has been chosen by me/the forum etc.. then thats the one ill get, so i guess its technically a money no object thing

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.