Skip navigation

Lawsy family - BLUEY - project 2 tone commences....

Back to the top

Lawsy family - BLUEY - project 2 tone commences....

paul_c said

That'll be the good old, rust/dirt in fuel tank issue! they all do it. Lets hope the axle studs don't snap off….

Paul, looked inside the tank with AA man.. its not bad at all, think a magnet should sort it out so wont need to worry about taking the tank and then axle off and risking snapping those bolts…

Will see how it goes tho, plus underneath is solid and well wax oiled, its scarey how new(ish) it still looks..

Was going to type a huge thing about what else was done, but no need really

Car looks good on the wheels and hopefuly we'll get some better pictures up tomorrow as he's off to his first show

Back to the top

MrsLawsy said

Someone told me black boot polish is great for making the bumpers look nice, haven't done it myself as I keep forgetting to buy some.
Don't know how it would turn out but I imagine it could make a difference like.

Nice wheels by the way  8)

Back to the top
BBS RA's always look spot on for MK1's 8)  Still loving the colour, looks great in the sun

I've used liquid shoe polish on a webasto sun roof on my old mini and worked a treat so guess should be ok on bumpers?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The bumpers should be greyish on that model and one of the previous owners sprayed them black  :banghead:  :banghead: , so its the paint thats peeling off at the mo, they seem to be looking good underneath so we need a peel the paint session soon!!!

I'm so liking it too, it drives really really well now and its a little greedy, but its an auto, seems to be getting around 25mpg round town
But still needs setting up a bit better..

Back to the top
hi the best thing for cleaning bumpers and vinyl is beleive it or not peanut butter at last years performance vauxhall show one of the administrators from novaload.net approched my mate as his bumpers looked old and dull the he pulled out a rag and gave it a wipe and it came up like new. in the past my mate had tryed everything and nothin worked now he saves a hell of a lot of money using peanut butter gotta be the smooth one. try it you will be suprised :wink:  gaz

keep on dubbing

Back to the top

gaz_mk1 said

hi the best thing for cleaning bumpers and vinyl is beleive it or not peanut butter at last years performance vauxhall show one of the administrators from novaload.net approched my mate as his bumpers looked old and dull the he pulled out a rag and gave it a wipe and it came up like new. in the past my mate had tryed everything and nothin worked now he saves a hell of a lot of money using peanut butter gotta be the smooth one. try it you will be suprised :wink:  gaz

Hi mate

thanks for the tips, but we already knew that one..

Thing is as i posted up earlier, the bumpers on the GL should be grey, but some one in the past painted themblack, so its the paint thats peeling off making them look faded.. but they should be grey anyway!

Back to the top
looking forward to seeing bluey this weekend (fingers crossed)

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

looking forward to seeing bluey this weekend (fingers crossed)

dont think we'll be able to make it mate.. sorry

Back to the top
Wendy

What size are the BBS' & what size & profile are the tyres?

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top

James_W said

Wendy

What size are the BBS' & what size & profile are the tyres?

hi ya

they are 15's with 195x50's

:cheer:  I've got my husband back :cheer:

Back to the top

gaz_mk1 said

I will be trying this myself at the weekend.

This idea makes we want to know… Who, why, when, how did the first person discover this worked??? Do you think they tried Marmite first?  :|

Back to the top
Can you imagine trying to polish marmite off!   :sick:

Back to the top
bluey is 90 !!!!!!!

bluey hit 90,000 miles last night.

Happy Birthday Bluey

Back to the top
yey. jump for joy.

yep just like that :mrgreen:

Back to the top
right today may have been freezing cold but it was decided that it was going to be a Bluey day….

after putting about 4 layers of clothing on i went outside into the cold.

first thing to be done was we changed the back lights after one got broken thanks to a trip to mcdonalds, and now bluey has some lovely brand new tinted hella light (with thanks to crazyquiff)

after bluey was given some new rear eyes, we changed blueys rear end for the back bumper on Eric because erics was in better condition.

next i warmed the engine and dumped all the coolant water onto the grass and my feet…… we then flushed the system with a hose pipe until it ran clear then topped up with ordinary water and emptied a can of engine coolant flush (looked like slim fast to me )….. warmed the engine again and let it idle for ten mins before dumping again….. the filled it all up with a lovely pink winter coolant…..

changed the air filter

steve also told me to try and read the haynes manual to learn how to set up the carb, and it was then set up.

steve also fitted a stereo so bluey now has some good tunes as well.

wabbit loved the hella lights box as you can see below.

Back to the top
I could get banned if i was to use all the words that came out of my mouth last night…

Driving home, was all fine, merrily listed to tunes, wehn all of a sudden… nothing.. no life in the car whatsoever!! :banghead:  :banghead:

we were abot a miel and half away from home, atop a big bloody hill.. so that was it, jumped in, little shove to get going, hazards on and free-wheeled most of the way home, seemed a good idea untill i hit the last half mile, gentle uphilll…
Mrslawsy steering on this bit and me pushing.. Lets say it nearly killed me!!

Got him home, still no life, battery's as flat as a pancake, tried jumping it, but nearly killed the other cars battery too.. just keeps turning over, was too dark to see properly, but doesnt look like there is much fuel getting through.. I wondered how long the temporary bodge will last!!

So looks like now we're going to have do it early, change Tank/Filler neck, clean and replace fuel lines, strip and re-build carb (might see what other options of carbs are out there, but its an auto  :banghead: ) any suggestions!!

Great, why does everything always go wrong at once…

I have 5 cars, 2 off road, and now the other 3 all have issues!!

at least the heating in eric suddenly came back to life so i could get to work today… The "joys" of mk1 ownership

Back to the top
I assuming its a fuel related problem and not electrical.

I used to have to blow down my fuel pipe on my 1300. The filter in the tank used to get blocked every 100 miles or so!

Took the top off the tank and ditched the in-tank filter in favour of an inline filter in the engine bay. No problems after then. It was probably a rotten filler neck but  I never bothered changing it - I was the last owner!!

Back to the top

Yomp said

I assuming its a fuel related problem and not electrical.

I used to have to blow down my fuel pipe on my 1300. The filter in the tank used to get blocked every 100 miles or so!

Took the top off the tank and ditched the in-tank filter in favour of an inline filter in the engine bay. No problems after then. It was probably a rotten filler neck but  I never bothered changing it - I was the last owner!!

Cheers graham, Thats what i reckon as it happened initially when w egot the car, already taken off the fuel pick up filter and keep changing the filter in the engine bay, its probably  abigger bit of rust or dirt thats got wedged in the fuel lines somwhere. Carb could do with a re-build anyway.. I just dont have the time at the mo…

Back to the top
right after having a few issues it was crazyquiff to the rescue,  bluey spent 2 days nicely tucked up in a unit in wallingford being treated and fed with several new remedies these included:

having his sender unit /fuel pick up removed and replaced
his tank internals cleaned
carb stripped and fully rebuilt then refitted and set up
fuel pump cleaned
fuels lines blown through
rocker cover gasket replaced
condensor and points replaced
and door handle mended

and he is now driving like a dream (so Lawsy says)

Back to the top
Enjoyed reading your thread…glad Bluey's all sorted now…what a nice Golf! Looks great. A bit of elbow grease and TLC really paid off.  :y:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.