Skip navigation

Rough idle + Prowlers injector test

Back to the top

Rough idle + Prowlers injector test

thanks for sharing this Information As I am Couple of stages behind you..

Oh and I need Injectors if your prepared to sell them……….

I would probably start with the connectors and Make sure that there is no Rust or corrosion within connector. causing a duff circuit…….

Picture for anyone who doesn't know about the intermediate shaft…..

I didn't till today……..

get the bigger hammer. it always makes things better…..
Highland Regional host

Back to the top
This all sound very familiar
Try checking the rubber air intake pipes for leaks between the ecu & the manifold.
If you move the pipes a bit & you here a change in engine speed then you've found your problem

That was my problem, searched for 2 years.
Good luck!

Back to the top

benfrance said

This all sound very familiar
Try checking the rubber air intake pipes for leaks between the ecu & the manifold.
If you move the pipes a bit & you here a change in engine speed then you've found your problem

That was my problem, searched for 2 years.
Good luck!

Thanks Ben, have checked all hoses but will recheck, not much else to try now so hope to have it sorted soon when I get some spare time.

Cheers
Kev

Back to the top
I just found this old thread.

I was wondering. If it stops leaking when the plate is pressed down. Could that be a result of the adjustment screw being to tight. When you adjust it just "pushes" on the arm the plate is bolted on to.
If you "loosen" it, i dont know which way that is, probably clockwise as that would force the plate to be more closed, that would make the distributor more closed. Or am i completely wrong?

Back to the top

update

Now spring has arrived I have renewed enthusiasm to get my car running properly. Therefore last weekend I cleaned and adjusted the metering head plate till it sat flush, this has improved things alot, also took the centre exhaust pipe apart and reassembled with more paste to fix a small leak, car runs much better but still the problem with the idle.

Anyway I had been planning to get the tracking done, because the car didn't feel right so I booked it into the local VW place and asked them to have a quick look at the engine while it was in.

Anyway the guy from the garage called to say the analyser showed excess Oxygen in the emissions (think he said 7% when it should be about 1%) indicating something seriously wrong, a big airleak maybe but he too has been unable to find any source of a leak. He has also checked the work I have done and is still unable to find the fault. This has made me feel better, at least it wasn't just me !

Anyway next thing he is doing on Tuesday is a fuel pressure test and more investigation into the metering head. So I am hopeful the fault will be found soon and I can finally start using my car  :mrgreen:

Question for those in the know, does the fuel pressure affect the mixture ?

Cheers
Kev

Back to the top

Back to the top

tamthebam16v said

yes it changes the mixture m8

System fuel pressure doesn't affect the mixture. Control fuel pressure does affect the mixture.

7% excess air sounds like you're getting ignition misses, its way beyond lean misfire limit so it can't really be fuelling. Was that at idle and did the guy at the garage use a venturi to take the reading? And why didn't he interpret it properly?

Back to the top
Cheers guys for the replies, yes he did say it had a slight misfire. I assume he can check the controlled fuel pressure with the test. Its an annoying problem and I have changed so much already, he is a good guy and been doing VW / Audi for years so I think he should sort it Tuesday (fingers crossed).

Back to the top

Success

I had some good news from the garage today, the main issue has been sorted, it was very badly adjusted valves. So my car is idling normally at last, just a small issue now - when the throttle is opened hard it runs on 3 cylinders briefly, I have a spare metering head which will be swapped first to see if this sorts it, otherwise its electrical I guess ?

I am annoyed I hadn't even thought of the valve adjustment, would have been one of the first things I would have checked on an aircooled VW.

Still you live and learn, just goes to prove sometimes you have to go over everything the previous owner tells you has been sorted.

Will get some pics up when I get the car back, Cheers for everyones help so far  :D

Back to the top
I've updated another thread but thought it would be useful to update this one. I know how annoying it is to find a useful thread with symptoms like yours but no final fix.

In the end my car was still not running right and I was fed up that two garages looked at it and no proper answer, so I bought another engine and used the cam …

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…wtopic&t=66038&highlight=
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.