Skip navigation

Fuel Consumption

Back to the top

Fuel Consumption

I got 20 mpg when I checked mine brim to brim the other day. :(

Although I think half of that comes straight out of the exhaust when it's cold, it does smell a bit rich. :oops:

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
think mines about 2 mpg!
hahahahaha

93' cab in need of a miracle

Back to the top
Mk1 with 20V 1.8T conversion [230hp]

Driven gently 35MPG

Thrashed 18MPG

My old 8V GTi used to do over 36mpg on a long run .

Back to the top
Um so my 24ish MPG is not to bad then considering all urban miles !  :|

Back to the top
Ive got a mk1 cabby gti fitted with a 1900 TSR short block and a performance head and a mild road cam.

Using normal unleaded it will return about 250 miles to a tank with mixed driving.

Using BP Ultimate unleaded I can get around 300 - 320 miles from a tank with mixed driving.

Not taken it on a long journey but am doing a run to Poole this weekend from Cornwall so will test it out then with a full tank of Ultimate.  :)

Are those figures good or bad from a 1900 TSR Cabby GTi ? :dontknow:

Back to the top

rossirvine said

maybe cabbys have a different tanks to tin tops then?

Also whilst we are on the subject - where exactly on the guage is empty? anybody ran out and found the hard way?  I ask because my guage rests below the end of the red section when engine is off - by about 2-3 needles width, but when I brim it it sits just a little over 3/4 - so is my guage out, or is empty really the end of the red bit?

i know from experience that when that needle hits the last red mark, your coasting!

broke people know these things. LOL

Josh

MK1 Search and Rescue Platoon

Back to the top
Ive got GIGANTIC broke balls of steel then - managed to get the needle off the end of the red and still made it a couple of miles down the road to put a fiver in! wasnt panicking much.....honest!

Back to the top
you know you were scared ishtless!   :D

twice i have put on my big stainless steel balls and stretched my fuel. twice i have been "that guy" walking down the roadway with a canister of fuel.

Josh

MK1 Search and Rescue Platoon

Back to the top
So where exactly is empty? Is it the end of the redline, or past that?  :dontknow:

Back to the top
not sure - depends on how big your balls are!  When mine is switched off the needle sits well below the red line, when its on the lowest Ive had it was a needles width below the red line, with no spluttering so I had a bit left but didnt chance it further than that - maybe if you have a few hours spare you could drain the tank, then click the ignition on to see where the needle goes to?

Back to the top
I must have a fuel leak!!!!!
Barely getting 150miles per tank……

In fairness, I have only had it a week so my right foot is probably a little heavy   :wink:

I think I need to follow the fuel lines and just make sure, but if there are no leaks, what are the things to do to get it all running right?

Plugs, filter (fuel and air), rotor arm, then get the mixture set up right. Is there anything I can do to get the mixture right, or is it best to take it to a tuner after i have done the other checks?

The car feels fine under full acceleration, but can feel a little lumpy when at constant speed.

Back to the top
Been away so Merry Xmas n a Bladdered New Year! Biggest cheap change on my fuel consumption was hoses all the ones around green vaciuum ball! My god get rid of sad ones installed new ones what a difference 100% more responsive! Cost under ?5 you will save that in 1st week !

Have done loads of other bits but pound for pound that is the one that made the biggest dramitic change!  :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.