Back to the top

NEW ENGINE...

2.0 16v 9a from a corrado…

gonna be ditching injection tho and using my 45's

where do i start?
 haha!!

93' cab in need of a miracle

Back to the top
Yeah don't worry too much about which section to post it in.

Start by removing the existing engine and giving the engine bay a damn good clean, ideally degreasing, then attending to any rust and then stonechip/respray it. Nothing like an engine conversion in a mucky engine bay.

Back to the top
oh paul did i detect sarcasm

firstly i would work out weather running carbs is going to be as good as the injection system ie fuel costs, setting up costs ect

i personaly would do as paul did and run it on k-jet  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Moved to "your cars and projects" :)

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
did i ask for sarcasm paul?
no i dont think so.

so what if i posted it in the wrong section.

general chat is neither the right or wrong section is it really as its a general topic.

and as to' where do i start ' i ment the Wiring. maybe im not as good as you .

Back to the top
Dude, I really wasn't being sarcastic - everyone posts in the wrong section these days anyway. And they get moved willy nilly to there's no real issue.

Wiring - throw it all in the bin. Seriously.

Now you need to decide if you want to run it on carbs or try to obtain maximum power. By all means if you want carbs, great. But K-Jet FI is going to be easier to sort out and potentially give you more power. But its up to you really.

Back to the top
Junk the webbers and go bike carbs!!

Bog brothers manifold, r1 carbs, drill the jets to 1.8mm bobs your aunty!!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
ok sorry then matey.

well thing is ive heard so much from different people..

refering to the K-jet  . e.i  its good, gives ur more power blah blah
then others saying its crap and might as well ditch it..

i was hoping to go down the carb route as when my golfs done its not going to be my daily drive no more and i want to try and get the bay as clutlerlless as possible.. and i payed like 900 for my carb set up brand new so seems a waste to not get use.

i knwo this probs aint people personally liking's etc but hey  its each to there own right.

im not very knoledgable about the wiring if im honest as i hear you take abotu 5/6 wires from the 16v loom? to run the spark ?

Back to the top
and nahh i dont want bike carbs.

all noise no gain.
my mates running his 16v on gsxr carbs that bog bros made a custom manifold for and set up.
but again  i got advised not to by a fair few people on here a while ago when i was doing my carb conversion not to do bike carbs as they dont give u power gains and its a waste of money…?

hence why i spent the cash and got weber 45's  which i noticed a big gain right away!

Back to the top
Carbs are better on a 16V than 8V because the 16V is a crossflow design - ie the inlet and exhaust are on the opposite sides of the engine. This means that the carbs don't have to be above the exhaust any more, thus are in a much more favourable position to not suffer from heatsoak. So for 8 valve engines there's a bunch of problems which don't exist for the 16V. There's a few others, like, you don't have much space for filters and you need to do something cunning with one of the water pipes (like, its a custom one or something, to fit around the carbs).

Back to the top
yeh paul im aware of all this on the 16v conversion using carbs.
i have quite a few pics from shows etc for inspiration and guides..

and yeh  no more heat soak from the manifold!

if i must admit im a bit of a sucker for 16v's on carbs as i love the look and the old skool ways

Back to the top
bike carbs are far better than webbers!

webbers are a 50 year old design, that only work well when your flat out!

tho as you have them use them,

Back to the top
well i guess its each to your own likings and opinions funk aint it.

i just prefer webers to bike carbs as im sure most others do too.
they look better too in my eyes.

Back to the top
:lol:  deep breath mate now relax!

Its your motor at the end of the day, and you will do it how you want.

Im only making a suggestion, as you were talking about fuel economy, and webbers are not the best for the jungle juice.

Keep us posted on the build

And remember not everone is out to get you :)

Back to the top
for me carbs and t/bs are a no no

heres why my car a 20vt is 200bhp. paul_c has a 16v on k-jet thats been tuned and its as quick as my car

so for me k-jet is the way to do if its tuned correctly  :wink:

maybe worth doing some costings based on what you want and the performance you want

Back to the top
yeh i understand what your saying ben.
 the thing is  i have the full injection system and wiring..
and my 900 quid carb set up.

if i run it injection im stuck with carbs which are still pretty much brand new and i wont be able to sell them for that much..

and the injection system  i think personally just clutters the bay TOO much and im not really too technically minded as to wiring the whole lot up.

im not really fussed about having a super fast golf on injection that will keep up with turbo's as i know it will still be pretty damn fast on the twin 45's on the 2.0 when ive done.

and like i said before its not gonna be a daily car as this is my project now so should be pretty sweet when its done.

i will start a build thread soon so you can all see :)

peace

Back to the top
hey look guys if webber carbs are good enough for rally cars they are good enough to put on a mk1 golf.
their is a purple corsa 2.0lt 16v running webber 45's and guess wat thats the fastest front wheel drive car in this country so plz none of this rubbish about webbers.
i no alot of ppl on hear dont agree with not keepin the mk1 golf lookin standard but hey its not your car so let people do wat they want without any agro.
nath your guna have one beast their when its done mateany chance of postin a few more piks plz would love to see some progress as this sounds like an ausome build.
gaz

keep on dubbing

Back to the top

gaz_mk1 said

hey look guys if webber carbs are good enough for rally cars they are good enough to put on a mk1 golf.
their is a purple corsa 2.0lt 16v running webber 45's and guess wat thats the fastest front wheel drive car in this country so plz none of this bullshit about webbers.
i no alot of ppl on hear dont agree with not keepin the mk1 golf lookin standard but hey its not your car so let people do wat they want without any agro.
nath your guna have one beast their when its done mateany chance of postin a few more piks plz would love to see some progress as this sounds like an ausome build.
gaz

not trying to kick up a fuss here mate, but a 2 litre red top turbo wouldn't be running on 45s, and if it was, it certainly wouldn't be the fastest FWD car in the country - carbs leak boost… and i'd hate to work out the fueling on a turbod engine with 45s - you'd end up either melting a piston or running really rich.

and if it is a N/A red top on 45s i still can't see it being the fastest FWD car in the country.

it may be running on ITBs with a turbo, which is possible with a custom inlet manifold to house them, but they're totally different to carbs (fuel injection)

nath - looking forward to seeing this progress regardless of whether you go for carbs or stick with fuel injection. in the long run injection will be far better tuning wise than carbs (and a lot cheaper) look at paul_c's black gti for example - 14 second 1/4 mile with a fuel injected 1.8 16v, all down to tweaks with the fuelling.

but i am a sucker for a 16v on carbs, can't beat the sound or the look. if you're going for reliable, cheap tuning and econmical to run - stick with injection. if you want the noise, looks, aren't too bothered about upping the performance (cheaply)  and aren't bothered about fuel economy go for carbs.

good luck whichever you choose

john

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

gaz_mk1 said

their is a purple corsa 2.0lt 16v running webber 45's and guess wat thats the fastest front wheel drive car in this country so plz none of this bullshit about webbers.
gaz

not trying to kick up a fuss here mate, but a 2 litre red top turbo wouldn't be running on 45s, and if it was, it certainly wouldn't be the fastest FWD car in the country - carbs leak boost… and i'd hate to work out the fueling on a turbod engine with 45s - you'd end up either melting a piston or running really rich.

and if it is a N/A red top on 45s i still can't see it being the fastest FWD car in the country.

it may be running on ITBs with a turbo, which is possible with a custom inlet manifold to house them, but they're totally different to carbs (fuel injection)

nath - looking forward to seeing this progress regardless of whether you go for carbs or stick with fuel injection. in the long run injection will be far better tuning wise than carbs (and a lot cheaper) look at paul_c's black gti for example - 14 second 1/4 mile with a fuel injected 1.8 16v, all down to tweaks with the fuelling.

but i am a sucker for a 16v on carbs, can't beat the sound or the look. if you're going for reliable, cheap tuning and econmical to run - stick with injection. if you want the noise, looks, aren't too bothered about upping the performance (cheaply)  and aren't bothered about fuel economy go for carbs.

good luck whichever you choose

john

He dint say turbo John lol. Just a 2ltr 16v redtop

Mk1nath…..keep the 45's I think they rule, look nice and sound nice. Who wants to go mega fast in a cabby anyway you'll mess ya hair up :lol:

Back to the top
i can see your problem, i personally love 45s, love the look the sound etc, been quite into my MG's and its 45s all the way if you get serious and they are great but i know all the advantages of injection. plus everyone i have ever spoken to including people in the bike world say dont bother with bike carbs.

not trying to cause a fuss just adding my personal experiences from talking to people 'in the know'

webbers have the old school looks and look good and interesting when you open the bonnet but if you want strip/track type power and if thats what you would use it for id go with injection so it depends which way you want to go with looks and useage

either way a 16v in there is better than standard!! ill be watching as im planning an engine conversion/alteration on my cabby somewhen
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.