Skip navigation

Silver Campaign - love driving this thing!!

Back to the top

Silver Campaign - love driving this thing!!

Hi,

Been on the site for a while now… took loads of advice from people on here regarding what to look out for, problem areas and relative prices…. I saw around 15 cars up and down the country (even north Wales and Newcastle) before settling quite happily on this one.  The pictures are VERY good and it does look good… but maybe not as mint as these pics suggest…

Front & side

Front on

Rear view - that most boy racers see

Engine bay

Interior

I'm looking to take the engine out and rebuild it (not that it really needs it but I want it sweet and it IS mine!! :lol:   …planning on doing this in the winter.  I'm then probably going to strip it and send it for paint - showroom job.  Then it's just tinkering with it… did toy with the idea of a 20v 1.8t conversion but just like the stock look with minor changes.  Might get another project once this is done…. rolling shell and fill it up with a 20v 1.8t for fun.

Thanks for looking.

Back to the top
nice straight car, good find

Back to the top

welsh-mk1 said

nice straight car, good find

Thanks mate.  I wanted a decent one to start with as I'll likely only have holidays and the occassional weekend to do any work on it.  Thing is… its sooo much fun that I'll struggle to take the engine out… not because I don't think I can do it… but because it'll be off the road and I won't be able to take it for a run  :cry:

Been reading X's thread on his motor and it nearly inspired me to clean the engine bay…. I did say nearly:lol:   …Might as well wait until the engines out and sort the paint though to be honest!!

Back to the top
Looks great.  Overall condition looks tidy, is it a low mileage car, been well looked after or restored?  Appologies for being so nosey  :lol:

I bought a silver ones of these around 8 years ago, still got it and love it!

Banner

Back to the top
remember seeing this for sale, it's stunning

enjoy!

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Your not being nosey mate I'm thankfull for the comments/interest to be honest  :wink:

It has 185k on the clock… compared to the ones I saw it's been well looked after, garaged for long periods by the looks of it, looks like it's had a blow over at some point (not very well done I might add.. there's runs, sanding marks even some of the wire housing had just been painted over in silver  8O  ?!?)… but.. it does look nice, the paint is not THAT bad.. the shell looks sound and the interior is in really good nick!!  There's a small hole in the dash where some idiot must have put an LED alarm light or summit  :banghead:  …it's a genuine campaign however it's missing a campaign steering wheel… an e-mail to crazy quiffs may be in order as they're hard to source!!… even on flea-bay  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Really does look from the pics it doesn't need much. I do like silver, looks spot on :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

looks like it's had a blow over at some point (not very well done I might add.. there's runs, sanding marks even some of the wire housing had just been painted over in silver  8O  ?!?)… but.. it does look nice, the paint is not THAT bad..

looks pretty darn mint from the pics though :D
enjoy!

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
gorgeous car buddy.  hoping to have mine looking similar to this one day, maybe a little lower though :twisted:

Tom

Back to the top

evileye said

gorgeous car buddy.  hoping to have mine looking similar to this one day, maybe a little lower though :twisted:

Tom

Been watching your restore with interest mate.  Looks like your really getting there… my hat's off to you… the workmanship looks awesome.

Don't want mine any lower… it's on Koni's top adjustables all round - supersoft setting…. and the bumps and potholes nearly rattle my fillings out  :lol:  !!!!

Really it just needs a good paint job and engine clean… I just want it perfect though so big paint job and engine rebuild… I'll be starting the engine work shortly and will upate the thread as I go… want it done over the winter (less likely do drive it over this time anyway as I don't take it out in the rain/snow).. paint job in March time.. then engine back in… job done!!!

Back to the top
Well I've had the car for a while now and this is what I've done to it:-

1. New Pipercross sports filter
  2. Dizzy cap and rotar arm replaced (made a hell of a difference)
  3. Magnecor 8mm Sports Ignition leads
  4. Whole gear linkage kit replaced and gears are now sweet as a nut!!
  5. Wiper spindles cleaned (crud was blocking the plines so wiper blades going right off of the windscreen etc) and wiper arms set correctly.
  6. Sump removed and cleaned out completeley as well as oil lifter. New gasket obviously.
  7. Rocker cover gasket replaced and new oil.
  8. Oil filter changed
  9. Original campaign fuel cap purchased and installed.
  10. full wax and interior clean!!

Sorry there are no pics but I'll put some up when I do the other works proposed below:-

1. Clutch (hopefully a sports version)
  2. Stainless steel exhaust - getting this custom made including manifold
  3. Brake lines and Goodridge braded hoses
  4. Green stuff pads and grooved/drilled disks
  5. New alloys for general use and P-slots to be refurbished
  6. New seat belts if possible (any idea where I can get new ones?  VAG if possible)
  7. New splitter
  8. Sort out dodgey wiring

And the biggest thing of all… stripping the whole car, sending it to be dipped and coated then painted!!!  Probablly ?5000 in total for that, any welding and new panels!!!

Back to the top
any news on how this is going mate?  can't wait to see it even better than it was before!

Back to the top
Dad called me and said he heard a loud bang in the garage.  He went in and a lage heavy metal rod looks to have hit the bottom rear quarter just infront of the back wheels (along the black gti stripe).  It's took a big gouge out of the bodywork and looks to have nearly gone through the skin  :cry: .  It's about 5" big and looks to have caused a dent too.  I'll need to get that sorted… maybe a call to TUK customs as they're near me.

For anyone that doesn't know I've also rebuilt this engine ( CLICK HERE to see the thread ) and hope to have it running well for summer shows.

Back to the top
Great looking car you have there, congratulations!

Sorry to hear about the damage to it though, hopefully you can manage to repair it and keep her looking as good as ever.

1983 GTi Mk1 1.8

1984 GTi Mk1 2.2lt

1991 Jetta CLi 1.8

1989 Jetta CLi 16v

2001 Polo 1.8

Back to the top
Well new brake lines in, new fuel lines in at the weekend…. get it tuned and then MOT… oh and new Firestone tyres have been put on… can't think of anything else that may stop it in the MOT…. I've rebuilt the engine and the full SS exhaust sounds nice in the garage… can't wait to drive this to the AGM and it's all going to plan  :lol: … apart from the slice and dent down the side due to the bottle falling on it  :cry: …

Trying to convince the missus to drive my green mk1 to the AGM and I drive this so we can have both there … she aint having any of it though lol.

Back to the top
mate, this is absolutely MINT. i'm really really jealous! . is there any marks on it?

1983 Mars red MK1 Wagen.

Back to the top
LOL…. thanks mate  :redfaced:

Yeah there are a few pits around the fuel filter, there's now a gouge down the side as a bottle in the garage fell on it…. saying that though I am chuffed with it… it's my baby… does look better in these pics but I'll be making this as mint as I can get over time  :lol: .

Thanks Dubsy mate.

Back to the top
Yep looks lovely same as mine in so many ways colour condition (i think yours is better) but i have a 20vt under the bonnet.

Back to the top

Bigadd said

Yep looks lovely same as mine in so many ways colour condition (i think yours is better) but i have a 20vt under the bonnet.

I'll need to have a look at yours then mate… sounds good.

Back to the top
Thats not your car spud, stop telling porkeys!!

We all know you only pretend to own a mk1 so you can hang with the cool kids!! lol

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.