Skip navigation

16v conversion

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

16v conversion

right m8 if it getting a spark and the timings fine take your spark plugs out and see if flooded if not  and youve got a spark and your fuel pump is working try and lift the flap in the metering once for 2 sec then start her up if your pump is on when your ignition is on as my car has the pump wired to the ignition so when i turn on the igntion to just the igntion lights the pump is on then i pushed the flap up for 2 secs then turn the key and she started so maybe your cold start isnt working have heard people putting this on a swich inside the car just for cold starting

Back to the top
cheers for all your advice you must be getting fed up now!!  yes theres a spark and timing is fine i will check the spark plugs for wetness tomorrow, fuel pump is working its pressured up at the metering head, you reckon it could be cold start or what about wur, the thing is its not even attempting to start

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

my car did the same turned the key and she turned over but didnt try to start even with foot on floor then thats when i turned the ignition  on ( fuel pump) then held open the flap for 2 secs then went round and started her up , as for fedup everyone has questions me to  :D

Back to the top
havent had chance to do anything to it today been busy am gutted i had to go to work, i did notice something though the airmass meter has no screw what adjusts the fuel its just a hole would this hinder the situation or not make a difference??, will my original gti pump and acumulator give it enough preesure, is there any other wires i need to wire in from the other loom or just the ones you showed me, did you have to lift your airmass flap up because the needle was stuck and wouldnt let fuel thru

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

my car was a 1.1 c so never had fuel injection so i did the lot . my 5th injectior isnt wired up yet or my isv or wur and she runs fine bit lumpy at the start but im going to put the cold start on a switch so when cold i switch on the cold start when starting then when started turn it off as for the pump my pump is mk1 gti fuel pump no acumulator

Back to the top
hello again had a quick look at my car today undid the cold start injector and the metering head and the fuel is still pressured up from 2 days ago and i did the thing you told me to do with the airmass flap and its letting fuel thru could hear it go thru injectors so that not a problem so i whipped out a spark plug to check spark and nothing so i checked coil for a spark and nothing apart from a very faint spark wen you let the ignition key go back to its original positioim going to try another coil tomorrow and see if that works if that dont do you reckon ive got a serious problem somewhere or an easy fix

Back to the top

cardboarddave said

hello again had a quick look at my car today undid the cold start injector and the metering head and the fuel is still pressured up from 2 days ago and i did the thing you told me to do with the airmass flap and its letting fuel thru could hear it go thru injectors so that not a problem so i whipped out a spark plug to check spark and nothing so i checked coil for a spark and nothing apart from a very faint spark wen you let the ignition key go back to its original positioim going to try another coil tomorrow and see if that works if that dont do you reckon ive got a serious problem somewhere or an easy fix

It depends what's broken, whether the fix is easy or not. How have you wired up the ignition?

If you read the above, you had a spark on Wednesday….what have you done since then?

Back to the top
ive wired up the ignition like ive been shown it was running for a while then wouldnt start after that i didnt check the spark then i just left it then checked it today and nothing i havent touched anything else so i dont no if the coil is breaking down or if there is a dodgy earth/live on ignition maybe??

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

right have you got or can you get hold of a multimeter if so check the live from the cars original loom to see what volts its getting when i was trying to get ma car going i put a live straight from the battery to the ecu the arrow shows where i put the live and she ran so if you think its some thing to do with the live from your own loom try this

Back to the top
is that the black wire its pointing to if so did you wire it from the ecu to the coil then the battery or straight from ecu to battery ? wouldnt that mean the ecu would be live all the time? yes have got a multi meter shoul this be live all the time or just wen ignition is on?

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

right when i did this i was just trying anything in desperation for a spark and i got one , The plug with the green on one side and red + black  i think going onto the coil plug that onto the coil they go onto the negitive on the coil, The wire that i have highlighted goes on the live side of the coil and the other side of the live i put a live off the battery it was a constant live until i pulled it off the bat yes it should only be live when you turn your ignition on but if you do this it will rule out some things  but thats where i started off from but check all the earths always there asrsees  8O  :evil:  :oops:  :dontknow:  :)

Back to the top
had a dabble with it today and she has been running all day, i put on a fully charged battery then i messed about with a few wires and she started think theres a few bits that want wd40 on it even my ignition wires, ran a bit lumpy at first then was fine, after it got to temp i switched her off then after ten minutes she took a while to start back up, my fuel pump needs changing i think she is making sum funny noises and my metal fuel lines are kinked quite badly as they come into the engine bay, gonna give it sum new leads and take my new spark plugs out of my old engine and put them in and she if she will go again fingers crossed!! cheers for all your help so far bud

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

no bother m8 any pics of your car ???? build thread????

Back to the top
will get a few pics of car shame i aint got any of me doing the conversion cos nearly everyday i was doing it it was absoloutely throwing it down but i was commited to getting it done cos i want to be on the road in it ive had her 18 months and she has been off the road for 16 of them have had a few hings to do to it and i didnt want to get rid of her, and ive spent sum big pennies on another car which i also love

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

yeah m8 i did my convertion myself all of it weilding to wiring and wiring i hate  :banghead:  you should put your pics on a build thead from start to finish, the story with my car is it started off like this

the blue one on the right my cuz bought the golf 6 years ago 1.1C basic no fag lighter or anything he had it for 3 years without the heater fan working or a stereo lol but never spent a penny on her then bought the black gti on the left and had nothing but hassel my car sat off the road for a year then i started the work gti kit lowered  it and first set of wheels ran her for a year as 1.1 then put here off the road about august last year so hoping to have her on the road in the next 2 weeks fingers crossed  :D
so keep up the work m8

how she looks the now

Back to the top
looks sweet bud good to show wot a bit of time and effort can do, was trying to get sum pics on of my motor but i dont no how to do it

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

cheers m8 nowhere near finished but thanks , go to photobucket setup an account its free  then download your pics from your computer to photobucket then photobucket gives you an htp addy copy it and paste it on your page , m8 if i can do it antone can im new to computers only had one for 4 month 1st computer i got off my sis was a banger soooo  slow had it a month flung it in the bin bought all the bits from pc shop 1hour later had quite good pc for pennies i had no previous experience with pc so you can do it m8 had people tell me for 5month my car would never run aka on the road but they can shut the foook up now lol

Back to the top
heres a few pics of my car not much to look a but is still a work in progress

started her up again yesterday she started up second turn, ran a bit lumpy but who cares she runs, for now anyway

Back to the top

mk1 1.8 16v

nice m8 mine is work in progress to lots of wee bits to do , what you going to do about the dizzy cap to the brakes change cap or change servo +master cylinder

Back to the top
i'm so glad to see other people doing the same thing, trying there selves! and getting frustrated but getting there lol also other 16v conversions which aint immaculate!!

mine looks the same as your lots! so close to sorted! mine needs a fuel pump!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.