Skip navigation

'83 GX

Back to the top

'83 GX

nice one mate

Bet your chuffed!!!

Cant wait to get mine done now

Back to the top
I finally got my backside in gear today and turned the front coilovers down a bit more to combat the reverse rake I had…

Much better.

I also put on a pair of mudflaps I'd had for ages and been too lazy fit.

The next job is to clean up and fit the new front bumper I've got (needed after someone drove into the car and broke the current one), then paint and fit the drivers side wing I've got. Just need to get paint for it…

Back to the top
here is the car when i had it,in the background  :wink:

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Love the colour and wheel Mike, looks spot on 8)

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking good.

Back to the top
I agree, car looks spot on now! That paint colour with the chrome and gold detailing looks excellent. What coilovers do you have on it, and what's it like to drive that low? Looks just right  :wink:

Back to the top

Diesel-dubber said

What coilovers do you have on it, and what's it like to drive that low?

I've fitted the hottuning coilovers, the ride isn't too bad at all, it's firm without being too crashy but you do need to avoid speedbumps. It corners really well though. For the money and the silly amount of lowness you can achieve they were a good buy.

Back to the top
So the hole in the drivers side wing was getting ever bigger, and I was sick of seeing it. It was big enough to put your hand through for god's sake.

About time I prepped and painted the replacement wing I have. I put a guide coat of grey primer on and started work on the little marks it had.

I tried blending out all of the little pin holes and marks in the paint, it turned out surprisingly well. Nice arty finish to it half way through.

Then whacked another coat of primer on. It's nice and smooth now, all it needs is flatting back ready for colour.

Colour applied (this is actually Lhasa green, my camera has butchered the colour…)

Followed by a quick drying session and then lotsa clear coat:

(this photo is just after the 2nd coat)

After a long wait I got the wing fitted, it's a pattern and the fit ain't great, but its 100 times better than having a gaping rust hole in the wing. I mean, you fit your fist in it, that's just not right.

Colour match doesn't look too bad either in this shot, but I'm not 100% happy with it. The rest of the car needs a polish tho.

It's too dark to see, but where there is now freshly painted metal there used to be a massive hole under the bumper, which is now thankfully gone.  

Now I just need some trim clips, the old ones all disintegrated when I tried to remove them… Anyone got some they'd like to donate to me? I only need 4!  :D

Back to the top
Good work. I agree, pattern wings aren't the best (I've got one on too) but anything's better than rust/holes etc. And it looks really good. I've got a few trim clips spare. PM me your address and I'll send 'em. :wink:

Back to the top

Diesel-dubber said

Good work. I agree, pattern wings aren't the best (I've got one on too) but anything's better than rust/holes etc. And it looks really good. I've got a few trim clips spare. PM me your address and I'll send 'em. :wink:

Cheers! And you have PM.  8)

Back to the top
Loving your car Mike, I've seen it over on retro rides too and admired the wheels. Nice and tastefully modified.

8)

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Cheers Gav!  8)

Back to the top
Got all the trim back on the front wing now (big thanks to Diesel-Dubber) and gave the car a good wash and polish ready for the Retro Show tomorrow. Gave all the black plastic trim a going over with boiled linseed oil, it came up a treat.

Hoping it doesn't rain tonight and spoil all that hard work!   :roll:

Back to the top
youve took the jaffar international reg plates off  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Clean 4dr!

Back to the top
That looks spot on, love the alloys 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.