Skip navigation

Done at the bodyshop! Interior fitted pics.

Back to the top

Done at the bodyshop! Interior fitted pics.

Top banana, especially the rare colour interior!

The front strut housings are the same on all Mk1s.

The top mounts, spring caps and springs changed in June 1977.

Pre-78 MYs run the parts on the left in the VAGCAT pic. The top mounts are multi-piece, the springs are parallel with caps to suit.

Post-78 MYs run the parts on the right in the VAGCAT pic. The top mounts are serviced as an assembly, the springs are pig tail with caps to suit.

I think Ryan's is a '78 and uses the later parts. I run Febis without problems but the gap does seem large. You are always going to face reduced durability of top mounts when running wider tyres/wheels.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Top banana, especially the rare colour interior!

The front strut housings are the same on all Mk1s.

The top mounts, spring caps and springs changed in June 1977.

Pre-78 MYs run the parts on the left in the VAGCAT pic. The top mounts are multi-piece, the springs are parallel with caps to suit.

Post-78 MYs run the parts on the right in the VAGCAT pic. The top mounts are serviced as an assembly, the springs are pig tail with caps to suit.

I think Ryan's is a '78 and uses the later parts. I run Febis without problems but the gap does seem large. You are always going to face reduced durability of top mounts when running wider tyres/wheels.

Great stuff i was hoping you would clear this up your the Guru around these parts  :D      8)   

I didnt think there would be any differences in the strut towers tbh…one side of his mounts looks more worse for wear than the other maybe an incorrect install?,no offence intended or possibly a faulty mount?

I've read a thread somewhere with someone complaining of a poor set of Febi's and needing to exchange them  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Awesome car, i love it.

Back to the top
It's still alive! Not much of an update in terms of new stuff, but got some new pics. It's insurance renewal time and because I have an agreed value policy, I have to send pictures every 4 years as part of the deal. I blew the cobwebs away, went and got a jerry can of petrol, filled her up and……nothing! Luckily after having a root around in the bay, I sucked some fuel through to the inline filter and found the pipe had gone a bit brittle and was letting in too much air. I cut it a bit, sucked more petrol, attached the filter and she started up.
   Since the engine was out when the bodywork was done, I've never actually got around to setting everything up properly. Plugs are gapped correctly, timings fine, but the carb has been the main bone of contention. It's the Solex 34 Pict 5 with auto choke and has had a full gasket rebuild and clean out. Basically me and a mate spent ages trying to get it to idle properly and we've nearly got it, but I think there are too many air leaks. The rear exhaust box has seen better days, although it does sound nice, but it's not helping the carb situation. Plus I want to now replace all the braided fuel lines to make sure they're tip top. The cambelt cover and warm air pickup shield are off to get a coat of black paint aswell. We possibly found that the auto choke regulator doesn't work, but I've got a new one.
   So all in all, just some little bits to get my teeth in to. Nothing major to most people on here with skills, but I don't have many! I will learn as I go and want to see it through. The bumpers are off for storage purposes, wrapped up to save the chrome tarnishing.
   Anyway here's some updated pics:

Back to the top
Nice I remember it being done at gregs in fact in one of your pics my old pass at is in the background lol. Stunning

Back to the top
Been a while! This arrived today, just got to get around to fitting it at some point. Also polished my 15x6 P Slots.

Back to the top
 :o  :o  :o  :o

looking stunning mate !

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
What make is the exhaust mate?

Back to the top
im sure thats a jetex exhaust car looks nice

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

It's unbranded, but pretty much I think it's a Jetex copy. I won it on Ebay.

Back to the top

bigrvg said

smudger1980 said

It's unbranded, but pretty much I think it's a Jetex copy. I won it on Ebay.

Nice. I've gone for a Jetex on mine :)

Back to the top
Amazing car! Mega Jealous
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.