Skip navigation

BBLB - Time to get it roadworthy!

Back to the top

BBLB - should I scrap it?

gaz_mk1 said

hi great thread hopefully will be a detailed one

dont supose you will be sellin that front bumper if its shot?

gaz

Don't really understand your question but the front bumper is sat on top of a pile of scrap. It is shot but do you want it :dontknow:

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

How's it all going Yomp…. any updates lately mate?

No updates. Too busy trying to run a business. - Difficult times at the moment. Feel guilty when I even start to think about doing any work on the Golf. :banghead:

Back to the top
Chin up fella  :tlc:

Back to the top
im lacking in motivation to mate i actually did somthing yesterday tho got all the stone chip off the front inner wheel arches that is some tuff stuff it tuck all day :banghead:

whats rong with that bumper like? and how much would you let it go for il try and make one good one out of 2. i dont like seeing parts goin in the bin tis why i have 2 sheds full of parts and an atic full lol.

keep on dubbing

Back to the top
what type of business do you run yomp?

Back to the top
It's a nightmare doing anything at the moment not the most motivational weather is it? that's why mine is tucked up in a garage until feb/march! don't loose faith though mate.. just keep looking towards the prize!

:clap:

Back to the top

Yomp said

richievr said

that is soo cool you have two with almost the same reg numbers..
i thought it was only me who was that sad (?????)

i had SRU673X and WRU613X when i was younger!!

check out the red one on the left  in the pic below too…..

goodluck with the rebuild too..

NGF 725Y - Thats SW London as well. I wonder if it were the same dealer :dontknow: According to the register its now in Leeds.

NGF 725Y belongs to stusublime in leeds, not seen him at any meets or on here for a while though

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
you are lucky you have a garage im workin on ma drive open to all the elements every time i take some thing down to bare metal i have to spray it strait away nightmare :banghead:

keep on dubbing

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

what type of business do you run yomp?

I build and service packaging equipment. Mainly for the food industry.

Back to the top

blans said

It's a nightmare doing anything at the moment not the most motivational weather is it? that's why mine is tucked up in a garage until feb/march! don't loose faith though mate.. just keep looking towards the prize!

:clap:

My sentiments exactly - its the worst feeling getting a cut or banged finger or two when your hands are at –2 degrees!

chin up and you'll get there in the end!!

Back to the top
Made a start on the roof tonight. Managed to get the "new" roof panel off its frame. Didn't mind destroying the frame to get the panel out undamaged. Worst thing was the that it wasn't secured to anything so made it difficult drilling the spot welds etc. Just needs a bit of a clean up to remove spot weld nibs etc.

I was suprised by the surface rust between the seams of the frame and the roof panel. Nothing too serious though - just makes you wonder as it was not visible at all until I'd split them. Looking at the original colour I think the roof was from a series 1 - (I didn't see the car it came off)

The next trick is to get the old roof off the car without damaging the frame! but at least it won't be a moving target!

Back to the top
You're a brave man, sure it will all go well! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
doing it this way it looks like it doesn't matter if its a 5door or 3 door skin. i'll be watching you do this yomp and the more detailed pics you take and better right up the more it will help.

hello!

Back to the top
There is currently another thread running about roof replacement.

On there I've had some questions put to me asking why I'm not just cutting the whole roof off and butt welding a new roof around the pillars?

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=53576

This is my reason for only changing the skin.

In the photo below is a cross section of the "B" pillar. (The "A" pillar is very similar).
Inside it you can see an inner frame which in the photo actually looks thicker than the outer skins.

Without cutting the outer skins further back than this inner frame I cannot see how you can get in to weld this frame together. Cutting the outer skin back means you would then have to rebuild the outer skin and have 2 rings of weld around the outer skin.

Butting up and merely welding around the outer skins is not an option in my opinion.

Also when grinding back the butt weld how do you know how thick the steel really is. You are also introducing different grades of steel into the joint along with hard spots and stress points within the steel. With that and an unwelded inner frame I dread to think what could happen if the car was involved in a heavy accident. :dontknow:

Think I'm going to stick with my method for now.

Back to the top
Sounds safe to me!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Yomp said

Butting up and merely welding around the outer skins is not an option in my opinion

I have to agree - looking at the photos the inner parts of the frame appear to be almost twice as thick as the outer skins, and that must be where a lot of the strength comes from.

Keep up the good work  8)

Rich

Back to the top
nice resto.

Good luck with the roof tbh.

Get a cage in it:)

Back to the top

ftj said

Good luck with the roof tbh.

sorry but that makes no sense :lol:

looking forward to seeing some more pics as you get on with it graham

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Looks like a bit of a job you have on there mate, keep
us posted fella….. looks good by the way…… :wink:

Dibbler

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
"sorry but that makes no sense"

Cause it does.

Tbh means to be honest.

Good luck with the roof to be honest?

How can that not make sense?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.