Skip navigation

mk1 golf notop! *updated original post

Back to the top

mk1 golf notop! *updated original post

made a start. Infact i've only just started it. Got to get rid of the unwanted stuff first. Buy something off me. That will help. Do you want the complete interior or green thou windows or the hood and frame.

Back to the top
Hows this going guys???

Back to the top
shifted unwanted stuff. just gotta get some 80mm lower springs so that i can see wether or not to cut down the doors, dont want to if i can avoid it.
got sheetmetal coming to fill in the gaps, need a large sheet to cover the back. don't know how i wanna do this yet.
should i:

weld up rear hatch and have the boot open from the top.

or

weld top and have original boot

also

if i weld up the doors, how will i get the dash off if i want to?

Back to the top
just make sure to remove the 4 side bolts prior to welding up doors!

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
then what will hold my dash on??????

Back to the top
any pics of the car and what your doing??

Back to the top
any ideas on the boot? :dontknow:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

any pics of the car and what your doing??

she's under cover at the moment. will pull the cover off and get some pics when i can.

Back to the top
but the idea is:

remove everything relating to a roof or side windows so just the front window is left.
the dors will be welded up. even up the windscreen pillar.(saftey is a concern, so want as much  original structure as poss.)
then i'll be welding a sheet along where the window came out of the door and remove the edges (where the window scrappers fixed to).

all edges around the rear where the hood fixes will be removed. and a sheet will be reinforced and fill that gap back to behind the rear seats.

i AM keeping the side skirts from my clipper kit and refiting them. with the ends finished the blend them in.

the front and rear bumpers will be replaced with stainless tube items.

and finally to help with access, the whole car will be lowered. thinking down 80mm on the front and 40mm on the rear. or maybe 80mm all round.

thats the final idea. have i missed anything.

Back to the top
why not shorten the car and use chopped down mk1 4 door front doors :lol:

that would rock :mrgreen:

Back to the top
i wanna do the work myself. not willing to attempt that.

sounds scary.

Back to the top
Side opening boot, or drop down to access equipment, never seen one with roller shutter top that slides all the way back and under, that way boot gone, the kind of thing off the side of a van, I am sure you could get one custom made, would be a case of attatching the runner guides to the sides and top locking behind the seats, not sure how water proof that would be though?????????????????

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
i think plating the back over is for the best really, easier to do and 100% wter tight

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

i think plating the back over is for the best really, easier to do and 100% wter tight

So long as its welded properly! LOL

Back to the top
looks easy enough, how hard can it be :roll:

Back to the top
Sounds really interesting  :D

But we need piccies  :(

!!!!!! And soon  :roll:

Back to the top
Good drawings of your ideas would be good.

Back to the top

welsh-mk1 said

Good drawings of your ideas would be good.

LOL

Back to the top
WELDER NEEDED!

really i do, can't go any further without it. does anyone know where i can get one (only cheap). or can i rent one. prices are appreciated.

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

WELDER NEEDED!

really i do, can't go any further without it. does anyone know where i can get one (only cheap). or can i rent one. prices are appreciated.

No such thing as a cheap welder. Its a case of "buy cheap buy twice" - and that's from experience! Also, if you're properly into it or use it more than only very occasionally, you ideally need to equip yourself with a proper size gas bottle, etc.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.