Skip navigation

Just a quick tidy up..........Oops!! (UPDATE 22/06/10)

Back to the top

Just a quick tidy up..........Oops!! (UPDATE 22/06/10)

I bougt this at the start of the year with the intention of giving it a repaint and general tidy up, hence no photos. Things have got out of hand…….. :roll:
Its an '83 Campaign, 2 owners from new, last owner 19 years. Apparently and Englishman working out in Germany ordered it whilst over there and brought it back with him. He kept it for 5 years then sold it to a doctor who lived about 7 miles away. I bought it from him, he lives about 7 miles away from me!! Yep it was originally from my home town. :o
It looks like a full, comprehensive restoration is on the cards now. Mainly stock. So here goes………

If your thinking 'that looks like an old builders tressle, a few scaffold tubes and fittings and a cart for moving around bread trays' you would be correct :wink:

Inner wing stripped of underseal

One side of the floor pan virtually done

A bit of rot on the drivers side sill cut out ready to patch

Pressing is rough and dented, so thats coming out too.

This is the rest of the rot on the drivers side. Arch is gone, flange on inner arch where fuel pipes go through is crusty and a hole next to the fuel pump mount bolt. I havent really probed too hard elsewhere yet. Just going to work my way around the car.

Engine bay done but going to do it again and completely strip factory underseal off right down under chassis rails 8O

Back to the top
Go boy go - some nice detail there :)

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Just a little tidy up then. Nice one :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
going to be watching this...

Back to the top
did this resto start something like 'I just going to wash the car dear'??  :wink:

Back to the top
so is this a left hooker? and does it have a sunroof?

if the answer is yes and no, then it would seem you have a Pirelli Edition like mine and in the sig pic, because I beileve that all British Campaign models came with sunroofs, and European had an option not to have them?

Not many of em over here in England, but the ones over here were mainly shipped over by British service men working in Germany.

Mine is the same as yours, shipped over in 1984 and driven to and from Germany by the last owner who had owned it since 1983 till 2006 and I'm the 2nd owner.

Good work!

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top
Looks like right hooker to me

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

bigdave said

did this resto start something like 'I just going to wash the car dear'??  :wink:
I sold a rat look Beetle to get this, on the expressed understanding that "your not buying another bag of sh*t to take up space in the garage are you?" to which i replied "no dear, this ones a runner" :mrgreen:

Back to the top

dubstar74 said

so is this a left hooker? and does it have a sunroof?

if the answer is yes and no, then it would seem you have a Pirelli Edition like mine and in the sig pic, because I beileve that all British Campaign models came with sunroofs, and European had an option not to have them?

Not many of em over here in England, but the ones over here were mainly shipped over by British service men working in Germany.

Mine is the same as yours, shipped over in 1984 and driven to and from Germany by the last owner who had owned it since 1983 till 2006 and I'm the 2nd owner.

Good work!
RHD and sunroof. I beleive it was ordered British spec. It does have rear seat belt retainers, not sure if this was mainly a mainland europe option or not. Not seen many over here.  Who knows, maybe the previous owner was just spinning what seemed like an impressive yarn. It does only have 2 previous owners though and it is from my home town originally. Id love to say that i remember it driving around as a kid and admired it from afar………but that would be a lie :wink:

Back to the top
Those bumpers look familiar !

Looks like a goodun you got there daz.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

Back to the top
Good luck mate. I love the home made jig. will keep an eye on this thread to see how you are getting on.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top

reg said

Those bumpers look familiar !

Looks like a goodun you got there daz.
:mrgreen:  I told you it would work  :mrgreen:  Rolls in and out of garage mint. I hope it will be welded by next spring, then the spits yours mate :wink:

Back to the top
Nice one mate.

Back to the top
Ok, time for a quick update. I havent been able to spend much time on it for a few months but ive got into the garage over the last few weekends. A quick welding demonstration from my good mate Tony and i dived right in!!  8O  

This is the sill that was shown in the first post. Tiny hole to 'spot up' still.

Replaced this bit too because the pressing was flat.

Metal was a lot thinner here so i had to cut it all out.

Made this plate with a return to replicate factory and also prevent fuel pipes rubbing on an edge.

In place.

Fabbed his for chassis rail, with captive bolt for fuel pump bracket.

In place. Needs a bit more 'dressing'

Started cutting the rear arch out so thats next.

Back to the top
good strart! what did you use to get rid of all the under seal

Back to the top

unmol said

good strart! what did you use to get rid of all the under seal

The best method i have found is to heat and strip the bulk of it with a blow torch and then remove the rest with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Its slow and laborious and im really not looking forward to doing the other side!! Be very carefull if you use a blow torch, underseal will burn merrily if you dont keep a close eye on it. I always have an extinguisher to hand.

Back to the top
I'm using a one of these
http://uk.four.ebid.ne…3&mo=auction&from=froogle
or the cupped type.

Keep up the good work daz.

Back to the top

reg said

I'm using a one of these
or the cupped type.

Yeah, thats what i use. Cupped type on angle grinder. Very good!! Slow but steady progress Reg, hows yours coming on?

Back to the top
Nice work there mate! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

daztheoneclaw said

reg said

I'm using a one of these
or the cupped type.

Yeah, thats what i use. Cupped type on angle grinder. Very good!! Slow but steady progress Reg, hows yours coming on?

In a word "SLOWLY !"

Am gettin some long awaited bit's soon, namely a full floor pan. then al get a build goin on here.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.