Skip navigation

Hello, I want a mk1, please help!

Back to the top

Hello, I want a mk1, please help!

Hiyaa
I'm Lee, I've been a dubber for the last few years with a mk2 polo breadvan, mk4 polo and mk5 polo GTI.
I'm only 21, but I feel strongly about restoration of old cars (I've owned a couple of old minis) and I think this is the forum for me and my next venture.

What I'm after is some advice on buying a mk1.
I've been looking all over the net (ebay, pistonheads etc…) for a decent mk1 project starter.
What I want to achieve, eventually, is a retro gold finish (some sort of vag paint), the interior refurbished with dark red paisley and floral sort of stuff (tastefully, obviously!), and I'd love for it to be on airride!
The latter may be an on going battle to raise funds for such a modification, but that's about it. The only real modification I'm looking at.

Other than that I want LOADS of chrome and some nice old school wheels :]

But yeah. Can anyone advise me on things to ask a seller or things to look for on a mk1? Are there any problems that mk1s are prone to?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/657604.htm <<< this is a link to the car that has taken my fancy. Obviously for the price and that it's pretty standard and a nice blank canvas :]

Any advice is gratefully received!
Lee :]

Back to the top
?800 for any car with no T&T seems a bit suss - ask him to put it thru the MoT and if it passes, you'll buy it for ?845? And if it fails, start haggling on what it failed on.

Back to the top
PS Welcome to the site!

Back to the top
Thanks very much boss :]
Will do, I just sent him a text, as it's pretty late, like.
I'll have to try calling tomorrow.

Thanks Paul!

Back to the top
Good advice from Paul, nothing to lose. The bodywork looks really straight in the pics - could just be the respray hiding worse? - could just be a good buy

Let us know how you get on  - and welcome!

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Of course I will :]
Thanks for the welcomes.

Seems like a much nicer forum than the pretentious idiots you see on most other dub forums.

I really can't wait to get my mk1 I've got everything planned out :] haha

Back to the top
That car was for sale earlier on on the year, think it had a smashed sunroof on it the last time it was up for sale.

Still looks pretty good though,

good luck with it, and the putting through a mot idea before you buy is not a bad idea, but i doubt the seller will do it, as if you don`t buy he will have lost out the mot fee

Back to the top
Hi, Welcome to the club!  :D

Good luck in your search!

Back to the top
Yeah, it's worth a try though. Seeing if he'll MOT it.

Just checked the mail before going to work in a sec and he's  not replied :(
So frustrated! haha

Back to the top
If he never gets back to you and someone else buys it in the meantime - don't worry! Just look for another one! Let some other mug take the massive risk in buying a non-MoT'd car for ?800 or so.

Back to the top
My guess is that its been taken it through an MOT and it failed miserably, why spend the time having it resprayed and new parts to then sell for 800.In the pictures it looks pretty good body wise if he wont MOt it go and have a look at it,  if the body is in good condition haggle for a lower price then strip it down and sell anything you wont be needing for your restoration.
Welcome to the site

Back to the top
There's an online MoT checking thing somewhere, where you can enter the registration number of a car and see what it failed on (if its gone through a computerised test).

Back to the top

hey there

hey mate, you sound very much like i did about 8 months. if theres one piece of advice i can give you about undertaking this sort of task its that you get what you pay for. I wanted a different model in a different colour to the more common black gti so i searched and got a gx in papyrus green. i paid ?600 for it and i just signed another cheque taking money spent up to ?2500. in all honesty i've had everything sorted on the car, new suspension, manifold, steering rack, cooling system plus too much more. whereas i think if id spent more like ?1500-?1800 it would have been a far better bet. its really what your after. the other way of looking at it is that i know its all been done and been done properly.

Just choose your car wisely!

Ross

Back to the top

oh

oh, and welcome

Congratulations on having the best taste in cars.

Back to the top
Ah, just got home from work and got an email from the geezer saying it's gone :(
Gutted.

Ah well. I'll probably leave it until after I come home from Holiday in September. I've got enough on my plate atm with getting my Polo back on the road. I had a crappy little accident in the wet a couple of weeks ago.

Never mind! I'll have to keep an eye out.

Do you lot think it's a better idea to get something cheaper that needs a little work for a restoration? Or something over a grand that's pretty sound already??

Thanks for the help though guys! Nice friendly forum :]

Back to the top

Re: oh

tiddles said

oh, and welcome

Congratulations on having the best taste in cars.

That just answered my question then. haha

And thank you very much :]

What are your thoughts on the newer Golfs then?
I drove the works car last week. It's a mk6, I think. 2.0 TDI estate.
I used to hate them, but after driving that, I have a little thing for it haha.
But then I think it's all well and good having a car that drives itself, but I'd see myself missing that bone shaking scariness of a rattly old motor.

Back to the top
i very much doubt it will have been a mk6 as to the best of my knowledge they haven't gone on sale yet ( actual date tbc in October if i remember correctly).

mk6:

perhaps it could have been a mk5:

or a mk4:

Back to the top
Yeah, must have been a mk5
Wasn't a mk4. That's the only 'modern' Golf I like.

Mk4 golfs and mk5 polos are hot. Mk1 golfs and polos are timeless.

Back to the top

golfs

i was the very proud owner of a mk2 1.6 driver not long ago. it was a lovely piece of kit and i was sad to see it go. my bro's got a mk4 gt tdi 150 with recaro leather and i must admit, that tickles my fancy, but not till i need a 'proper car'. im only a young'n myself on here at the grand old age of 19 but (so far to date) theres nothing like having your own mk1. i was just at the local with my mates and they had their corsa's and clios all lined up and then my car at the end. and just the realisation that you have by far the best looking car with the most character in the car park is something you must experience. a vital golden nugget that i've just realised i left out is, im happy when im driving my car. no matter whats been going i go for a drive and love it. and i cant imagine that in any other car. you must get one.

Back to the top
Haha
absolutely :D

I used to feel that with my polo gti until Scott, the apprentice, brought in his 1.4 mk1. I then felt I needed to step up my game. haha

What's your motor like then boss? Can I get a photo??

This thread should probably be moved into the newbie section now. haha
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.