Skip navigation

My first MK1 Golf, started the resto today

Back to the top

My first MK1 Golf, started the resto today

I've owned a few modified cars and had a MK4 Golf but never a MK1…………until now.

This is the car in question with newly fitted front cross hair headlights, front clear indicators and side repeaters……..

……………………and the roof down. The car is very good in body, however the mechanicals and the roof need sorting.

I then proceeded to replace the suspension with coilovers and replace the shot at brakes.

Fronts went on a doddle but the rears were well seized and took about 3 hours to strip.

The finished article…………

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
I'v e had some new bits dropped off which I am about to get fitted but I have a few issues with the camber on the front and the height on the rear.

I must also start cleaning under the bonnet as it is manky in general but worse since the head gasket.

Back to the top
Looking very nice  :D

Back to the top

chudd said

Looking very nice  :D

Cheers, its getting there.

I'm starting the task of all the little detail jobs tomorrow so I will update with photos shortly.

Back to the top
That's so nice mate - looking mean on those Ronals - the stance is perfect.

Depending on what you fancy there seem to be two main places for hoods - if you fit it yourself then try http://www.car-hood.co.uk/

They supply these guys http://www.carhood.com/ who will come and fit it for you.

Not needed to replace mine yet so I can't really vouch for either, but they seem the popular ones  :dontknow:

HTH

Mat

Back to the top
looking good mate, be good to have it at action...

Back to the top
Heres mine one mate! same colour, they look different but theyre the same!!! Did you put those fogs on? were they easy to fit?  nice one mate!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top

tyeness said

That's so nice mate - looking mean on those Ronals - the stance is perfect.

Depending on what you fancy there seem to be two main places for hoods - if you fit it yourself then try http://www.car-hood.co.uk/

They supply these guys http://www.carhood.com/ who will come and fit it for you.

Not needed to replace mine yet so I can't really vouch for either, but they seem the popular ones  :dontknow:

HTH

Mat

Cheers for that mate. I lowered the front a bit more today and lifted the rear by just one turn of a coilover.

I will put pictures on about the roof as soon as I sort it.

Thanks again.

Back to the top

brucieboy said

Heres mine one mate! same colour, they look different but theyre the same!!! Did you put those fogs on? were they easy to fit?  nice one mate!

The fogs were on it when I bought it. They have never been wired up and are not in the best condition. I have bought some new ones, the cheap ring ones from halfords, to replace the old ones and I am going to use the looms from the drive lamps now that I have a single lamp grill, to power the new fogs.

Should look good with the factory switches.

Cheers for the pictures, yours looks cool man.

Back to the top

Lawsy said

looking good mate, be good to have it at action…

Cheers, I'm really looking forward to it. Hows the ratrod coming on?

Back to the top
Sorry for no recent updates, however I have done a shed load of stuff over the past week including,

New 280mm Momo Team steering wheel,
New window winders
Mirror adjusters
Door pins
Interior handles
Gearknob
Alloy heater controls
Chrome wing mirrors
Polished chrome armour plates
New interior carpet
Removed the plastic trim from the tailgate to reveal nicer paintwork
Lowered the front another 2 turns on the coilovers
Raised the rears by 1 turn and fitted 6mm spacers to give a more aggresive stance
Full powerflow stainless fitted as the old system had more holes than a holey thing
Sorted out a bit of dodgy wiring
Degreased the engine bay
Fitted deep eyebrow spolier
Removed aftermarket front foglights

Thats about it at the moment, however I shall post some photos asap.

I couldn't be bothered as I am that tired!!!

Back to the top
very very nice mate....

Banner

Back to the top

andy2540 said

Removed the plastic trim from the tailgate to reveal nicer paintwork

Quality little mod! Can't believe more people don't do this it's so nice and subtle. I want to take mine off but it's had a dodgy respray in the past and I don't want to know what the plastic is hiding :(

Back to the top
Fitted my new carpet from Newton yesterday, fits really well and looks ace, photos to follow, and i sorted my oil leak.

I've ordered more stuff for it, a lot of genuine parts like certain trim gaskets etc. and strut top covers but I have now a certain judder issue with fuel.

I have been reading threads relating to this so it is fuel tank clean and carb clean tomorrow me thinks.

I hope this sorts  it cos I will have to miss action if it doesn't!!!

Bad times!!!

Back to the top
car is looking great  what a diffrence with the colies and the wheels get more pics up asap  :y:

Back to the top
As promised I have some pictures that refer to the list of jobs I posted the other day……

New interior goodies…..

More to come in the next couple of days……

Back to the top
looking  good! very nice colour!! liking the little mods very subtle but very tastefull with your chrome mirrors what happens about the adjusters inside?? do they still work???
Cheers C

Ronals look the dogs danglies!

Back to the top

ChrisRivage said

looking  good! very nice colour!! liking the little mods very subtle but very tastefull with your chrome mirrors what happens about the adjusters inside?? do they still work???
Cheers C

Ronals look the dogs danglies!

I cut the cables out of the adjusters from the old mirrors as I will never re-use them, so they just fit back in the door skin. You could use a blanking grommet I suppose but I thought it would look better with them still in.

Thanks for the positive comments, cheers.

Back to the top
Not been on for a while, benn really busy with my new house and the Golf has been being a right royal pain in my pocket!!!

Got it sorted though. Typical problem of rot in the fuel tank blocking lines. I fitted a new filler neck and cleaned out the fuel lines and she is running a treat now.

Got some extra bits for her to. Bought the original chrome outlined dash panels and vents, fixed the dash lcd clock and fitted some new dials.

I think the roof will be next on the list a I feel like tackling that one myself!!

I'll get some more pictures on soon!

Back to the top

Wheels

I've decided that I am bored with my Ronal Turbos, gonna have to change.

To these in a 7.5x16 front with a 9x16 rear with some stretch.

to look similar to this

What do you guys think? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.