Skip navigation

Project Rat - THe Hof - Mini update

Back to the top

Project Rat - THe Hof - Mini update

bens_cab said

im your man for welding then lol what needs welding steve

A few have said that now…

Pics on page 1 of hole by seatbelt mount that needs sorting  :banghead:  otherwise all welding is pretty much done.

Back to the top
do you just want a patch spotting on then seam sealing or a seam weld

Back to the top
dont care what it looks like mate, as long as its solid...

Back to the top
i can do it any weekend sunday is a good day you just have to find your way down south and stop when you find the sea :lol:

Back to the top
depends on how many beer tokens you'd want mate… dont forget I'm brassic too..

Cleaned up the silicone mess from it earlier and peeled back the crap that was there..

this is it now… I have a sparereinforcement plate for seatsbelts already, so would just a bit of metal cutting and shaping to fit etc doesnt have to look good, just be solid and not re-rot

Back to the top
Don't forget the fuel lines and fuel tank are approx 1" away from that area. You ought to remove the fuel tank etc to weld there.

Back to the top
ill let you cook me a burger at vw action as for removing the tank thats for girls it will be fine i have plenty of fire putter out things :lol:

Back to the top
Mini update

got the rear tailgate coated with a good level of surface rust, so a little clean and a trip to halfrauds.. got a big can of gloss laquer  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

ok i know you shouldnt spray in your back garden, but i dont care..

Here's afew close ups of the finished look of the tailgate, mild surface rust then coated with laquer so it wont spread further..

What you think guys??

Cant wait to get the new screen now and get it fitted, hopefully it will be on for action. thinking might do the whole bonnet like this now.

Back to the top
i REALLY like that purple/blue/lilac/metallic/shiny/silver bits colour

:D

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

i REALLY like that purple/blue/lilac/metallic/shiny/silver bits colour

:D

Yeah so do i, its almost cadbury's purpl up close..

shame i cant find anymore anywhere, they must have discontinued it hence the B&Q sell off

Back to the top
looks good mate saturdays still good for me

where did you get the sticker may have to paint a bonnet with a iron cross for vw action  :lol:  wonder how big i can get it

Back to the top
noooooo. i just stripped back another bonnet thats going to match, this time light rust with HUGE iron cross on it.. Hopefuly getting it all in time for action..

Stickers, best source so far is ebay

Back to the top

bens_cab said

looks good mate saturdays still good for me

cheersmate, see you saturday, not sure what time yet, but it'll probably be mid morning

Back to the top
ill be here all day mate

Back to the top

bens_cab said

do you just want a patch spotting on then seam sealing or a seam weld

spot weld and seal 8O

Seam weld by a belt mount every time! Even if it's as birdsiht like as my welding! Instant MOT failure for spot weld repairs, not to mention the general unsafe-ness should the worst happen. It's quite astounding the previous owner got away with that uber-bodge in the first place! It never ceases to astound me, the lengths people go to in order to not do a job properly!

Good tip for stickers is Slook Designs

Happiness ain't at the end of the road.
Happiness is the road….

Back to the top
Forgot the positivity… :mrgreen:

Looking good so far.

Love the camo door cards. Did you strip the vinyl off first or just stick it on top?

Happiness ain't at the end of the road.
Happiness is the road….

Back to the top
cheers dubz

yeah i need seam weld all round.. but not refitiing seat belt mount tho.. not going to get rear belts or seats again..

Is till cant get over the bodgeness there, its the same with the front end, had new valance fitted then panted, good job, but then patched and bodged teh wings.. ah well, left theguy negative feedback and said e shoul dbe shot for bodging a cool car..

Door cards were just spray glue straight over vinyl, not bad considering how cheap they all were

Have emailed slook designs for stickers as well

Back to the top
Ben, thanks for doingt he welding today, driving home, heard a clunk, looked round, its fell off…

Only joking…

That blokes taken freddy, had a good chat on way up, he's an old MOT tester and has owned almost every model VW has ever made  8O  8O

As to the Hof..

Mini Update, towbar now fitted, looks funny, looks like he's 'excited' now

Had a trial run with the trailer tent and alls good, Yes paul it managed to get to 60 up hill too…

As above, holes now plated up, seem welded, seem sealered and hammerited to hopefuly stop it rusting through and no Paul we didnt take off the tank…

cheers again Ben

Back to the top
no probs mate i think the hose pipe helps lots when welding in that kind of area :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
It looks mint mate i really do like it, just keep putin pics up.

When you sand down to the bare metal how do you prevent the rust from growing?

Is what your doing a MOT failure. Wel that pic of the car with no bonet earlyer on the thread. I guess thats MOT failure?

Just wanting to know as im 50/50 on doing the caddy rat!!

Regards
Dan

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.