Skip navigation

Project Rat - THe Hof - Mini update

Back to the top

Project Rat - THe Hof - Mini update

fleming16 said

just keeps gettings better mate

cheers mate

Hoping the weathers ok this weekend, got a couple more plans/ideas of doing stuff on a budget

Back to the top
for some reason.. although im somewhat of a purist, i like the idea of a rat look mk1.. and yours will soon be rattier than most i know :mrgreen:

i reckon after you've spent your budget on blackboard paint then it will start to look good.

look forward to seeing this at meets in the future :)

you gonna leave the waxoyl on, or gunk it off?

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

i reckon after you've spent your budget on blackboard paint then it will start to look good.

Not sure what your getting at?

X said

you gonna leave the waxoyl on, or gunk it off?   

that means cleaning…

Dont be silly

Back to the top
So todays weather has been totally rubbish and Mrslawsy wanted to pop into town..

Whilst in town we popped into FabricLand, never been in there before, was having alook around and found soem cool camo material, so i guessed at 3 mtrs. Bought it.. ?3.99 per mtr. Bargain and a bottle of spray glue

Got home and thought sod it, get wet and whip door cards off..
all came off great, except rear passenger window winder, no bolt in it, just been stuck on with silicone  :banghead: oh well, its ratty after all

so as a quick reminder, here's the blue boring door cards about an hour ago

then after MrsLawsy and I got busy with the spray glue and scissors… Here's the result. (it is more purple in real life)

what you think?

Then fitted

Back to the top
Its took a while to get round to reading all this but its nice to see another 5dr getting some love.

Love the doorcards (I have the same pattern in grey/white/black in my T3 crewcab) and the general budget theme.

Back to the top
quality doorcards, like it

Back to the top
That is possibly the coolest budget mod I've ever seen!

Top work :y:

Rich

Back to the top

mcscrew said

That is possibly the coolest budget mod I've ever seen!

Top work :y:

Rich

cheers mate

I got loadsofmaterial left as well.  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
The legend that is Lawsy strides on.They look amazing buddy, so cool!

You better drag your sorry ass up to Ace soon so I can see it in the metal.

T :y:

Back to the top

Tian said

The legend that is Lawsy strides on.They look amazing buddy, so cool!

You better drag your sorry ass up to Ace soon so I can see it in the metal.

T :y:

Will do mate.. dont forget to come our waytoo

cheers for comments tho.. just hoep i get a dry wind free day soon so that i cans tart next bit of bargain projects

Back to the top
No worries mate will do.

T

Back to the top

Lawsy said

X said

Not sure what your getting at?

yeah sorry.. i meant that once you've finished adding to the rat look of the car, (with what looks like blackboard paint on the bonnet ;)) it will start to look like a classic ratter

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Blackboard paint.. Hammerite mate.. Black satin hammerite, put on thick with a brush…

Need to get a towbar sorted and fitted now tho

Back to the top
Had to pop into B&Q the other day, whilst in there i always check out the bargain basement section.

Found three tins of this…

And as Purpe is Mrs Lawsy's favourite colur I bought it

so today I'm stuck in awaiting a delivery, the suns shining so inspired by the pic that was loaded up on page 3
this one for those that cant be bothered to look back

i set about removing the front bumper

Took off the CL spoiler and was amazed to find that although my wings are completey rotten the front panel has been replaced not long ago so was as straight as s traight thing..

quick scratch up with a wire brush and a wipe with a tack rag. Then some really poor masking off and hey presto purple front end..

Just need to sort some vent covers (only cheap ones tho) indicators and put back CL spoiler. Going to leave de-bumpered too  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
so still bored awaiting delivery, i decided to get started on the tailgate. mentioned Earlier I was in Richard (crazyquiffs unit) and he had just stripped this citi golf, the tailgate was about to be scrapped as its got a nasty dink in it. but for my project it was perfect.

Its from factory dewipered, debadged so nice clean straight lines (apart from the dink) was covered in moss etc

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  forgot to put memory cards in camera so havent got before pictures now DOH!!!!  :banghead:  :banghead:

Anyways, I'm going for a similar design to my bonnet/plus have the purple spray paint

so first job was to take to bare metal around outer of hatch (notice the bad dink)

then clean up the inside and give it the purple treatment.

Then mask off the outer edge of rear screen (badly on purpose) leavng the inner section (or the black section on GTI's) ready for painting

apply a few layers of paint then remove masking tape.

Now just to leave it for a few days in the rain with salt water/lemon juice on it and get the outer to match the front..

That paint is superb, its touch dry in 5 minutes, fully dry and hard in about 25 minutes.. brilliant

What you guys think so far??????

Back to the top
I like so far! Must be quite satisfying to kind of destroy a car to make it look good, if you know what I mean :lol:  You did well not to distort the flange for the rear window when denting the hatch :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I like so far! Must be quite satisfying to kind of destroy a car to make it look good, if you know what I mean :lol:  You did well not to distort the flange for the rear window when denting the hatch :wink:

Mate, its great expecially because I look at it and love the rusty bits whilst looking for ways to work with them rather than cut it out and weld new stuff in etc.
Plus doing it on a such a budget is great.. If it wasnt for the roofrack I'd have spent about ?20 plus time on it so far…
Lot of thanks goes to Rich @ Crazyquiffs for letting me have the stuff he was going to scrap

The tailgate already had the dink in it, I may add surface rust but I'd never damage anything

Just got to wait for my new glass to arrive, something me and rich have sourced and if mines ok then he'll be making them available to all..
Plain glass, in a choice of tint options, I'm going for grey, but bronze and clear are also available. and when i say plain glass i mean no heater strips.. Keep an eye on this thread/Richards website for more details on that

Back to the top
Does sound like fun. I've just come in for a break from my resto - spend so much time and money blowing holes in it with my MIG that the ratty look suddenly sounds appealing and quick!! :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Dont get me wrong mate, she does need some proper welding tho, but the beauty of a rat look, the welding coul dbe done by a blind man, and it'll fit in well  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
im your man for welding then lol what needs welding steve

There are too many online users to list.