Skip navigation

mk1 Polo 1.6 16v + s1 1.6 gti

Back to the top

mk1 Polo 1.6 16v + s1 1.6 gti

Had a bit of a chiller day at the unit, Rob was changing the hub over on his cabby for one from my red shell, which solved his humming niose thats plagued him for the last week or two.

I stuck the lorbers on the polo and while the wheels were off sprayed the arches with metal ready.

Plan for this week is to prep the interior, wire brushing it all and then getting some metal ready on it and lashing it all with por 15.

then nnce thats done i can get the inner arches and engine bay sprayed up, Robs trying to tempt me to spray the whole car there while we have the whole car stripped so i reckon i  could be tempted now to save fannying about later.

Zee polo also met its younger sister too :)

Back to the top
Me and walsh started on the floor today, got a fair bit done, also s iifted thru a few more of the spare parts

couple of pics after a hoover

Back to the top
somre more done on the floor pan and transmission tunnel, made a bit of a start on the firewall

wire brushed the seam welds to get rif of some of the surface rust

Back to the top
good work saf, looks like a nice solid shell now you've cleaned all the surface rust off. guessing you won't be in this for e38!

are you going to be at tatton park this sunday?

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
no unfortunatly im at a wedding that weekend  in london but i should be back in a dub for e38, its another polo and its got a weber :-D

hows work with yours going dude?

Back to the top
ah fair dos mate! sounds like free beer to me ;)

good stuff mate is it a mk2? breadvan? ;) i'll be down at e38 in my breadvan or might just skank a lift with a mate, really no need to take my shed.

it's coming along sound man, just on with the engine at the mo, want the shell in paint in the new year.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
bring the bready for sure, and nah its a coupe, should be quite cool.

let me know if you need a hand come painting time :)

Back to the top
Well been quiet on the car front for the past week, as I've been chilling with the family and covered most of the UK doing the rounds hahaha

Still managed to aquire some goodies in the time

Brand New Remus Exhaust with Lifetime warranty woo, ebay nos bargain

Had a trial fit of it today and it looks like itll be reet, will strap it up with the hanger tomorrow to check for certain but looks like it will sit okay in the valance

Been stripping back the underseal in the engine bay and scuttle panel and wirebrushing some rust.

my por15 and huge bottle of metal ready arrived aswell so can get cracking on that at some point in the week.

hoppy turned up as well in the cadwana. mmm

and ive bought another car :-D, getting collected tomorrow hopefully

Taxed and Tested which means i can bring this to edition 38 and give my sister her clio back. yay!

Back to the top
Is that 895cc of pure power??

Which day(s) are you at E38 then?

1989 Golf 16v

1994 Corrado VR6

1982 Polo C

Back to the top
saf, pm us your number!

if you're heading down M1 way me and the lads will meet you and your lads on the way down to e38

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
i go down the m6 dude and i think im stopping at my folks place the night before but ill catch up with you at the show, you coming in the bready?

finished the last of the wire brushing of all the surface rust, although i managed to uncover a hole in the bulkhead so thats another wee job for when i can get someone who can weld round.

holy moly

doused in metal ready

starting sifting thru the box with the mounts in, bit confused so have taken a picture of evertyhign laid out and will have to get in touch with dave (trooper25) and find out what everythings for

And hoppys mini adventure collecting my new car, danke dude

Right, the task was simple……….go to a local town 25 miles away, collect a car & drive it home…………….How hard could it be?????

The ride Mk1 Polo, T reg with 895cc's of fury under the bonnet, full MOT & Tax.

I was on time to collect the motor, made another Dub friend as we discussed the details of the deal, handed over some dollar for the car & drove away.

I added ?10 worth of Shell's finest petroleum distilate and ……………………………………….

This is where it all went wrong.

Seems as though the old girl wanted to suck up it's own faecal matter through the fuel line, causing much jumpyness & lack of power.

After getting one tow from a friendly MK2 Golf Driver (with a full leather interior I add) and being towed to a garage I though every thing was fine.

But another 2 miles on & things were serious.  The lack of power & sudden engine dying made it impossible to be safe on the road without some one pile driving me up the ass  :oops: So i took the decision it was too dangerous to continue, so pulled on over.

So it was down to this;

(Check out the AA man's face  :lol: )

Whilst broken down, a friendly group of passing aircooled people stopped to offer a hand, which was nice.  The result of this little meeting has found me another 3 local friends & another local meet!!!!

THIS IS WHY I LOVE DUBS!!!!!

Anyways.  Journey should have taken about 40 mins, in the end too me 2.75 hours!!!

Oh well………………still smiling

Finally at home!!!

Back to the top
^ Those pics were taken on the A442 in Telford weren't they? I've a good eye for these things :wink:  sad git haha.

First time i've looked at this thread and whoaaaa, looks like one hell of a kool project :twisted: So whats the deal/plans with the green one then?

Rich

Richair

83' GTI 16v roadsport
96' BMW 328i Touring
90' HF Integrale 16v B-road slag Sold!
98' Honda ITR #1775 Sold!
89' GTI 16v Sold!
91' CRX 16v trackslag RIP

Back to the top

grungeisdead said

Eck said

Looks sweet, I'd love a mk1 polo….  :dance:

what colour are you going for?

do you happen to live near portobello? ive got family that live up that way, and they have a garage near murrayfield stadium.

thinking about the muppets green, or the same green as me mates loop, also sky blue and a very dark blue or purple come to mind.

They would all be flat colours as its easier to paint than metallic and i dont want a shiny clean car anyway :D

and john we deffo need to catch up ill be rather wasted at e38 on the beers n smokes but im sure youll find me meandering about looking for the donut stand :D

I do indeed, just along the road in Musselburgh… :wink:

Car's looking good, have you decided on a colour yet?

Cheers

Eck

Back to the top
rich it was in telford aye so your probably right hahaha, twas my mate richard who picked it up for me and eck i was up last weekend, my uncles got a couple of 1960s merc projects on the go now and my wee cousin is learning in a mk3 polo.

another uncle managed to somehow blag 3 local camper vans for 500 each :( lucky boooy he needs all the parts he can get as he is taking on one very ambitious project :D

Back to the top
I'm a traffic engineer so know the roads fairly well round my way! That and im a sad barsteward :lol: I guess Richard is HoppyGTI? Saw him mentioned earlier in the thread… Never met him, but we've spoke about parts before now.

The telf must be good for cheap campers; my bud who I rent my unit with picked his bus up for even less than that! Was a random knock on the door job…

Will be keeping an eye on this thread :D

Richair

83' GTI 16v roadsport
96' BMW 328i Touring
89' GTI 16v Sold!

Back to the top
campers were in edinburgh but aye bargains all round

traffic engineer must be a pretty interesting job! yeh hoppygti is rich, proper sound fella, drop him a pm about details on the PP meet which is around your neck of teh woods :)

Back to the top
Shiny!

Yeah it can be interesting, but like any job gets a bit boring at times. Im actually working on a big project up in manc at the moment… I would defo sooner be at home messing about with the cars though, but have to keep the cashish rolling in (so I can mess about with the cars, vicous circle!) :roll:  :lol:

Will drop hoppy a line then…

Richair

83' GTI 16v roadsport
96' BMW 328i Touring
89' GTI 16v Sold!

Back to the top
arun popped round and we got the cable shifter and the exhaust fitted, also flatted the por15 on the rear panel ready for primer.

need to remember to take over some brushes, masking tape and newspaper tomorrow!

the exhaust fits ok and the downpipe will only need a short pipe to connect the system  up so might just get another flexi section and make a bracket up for a hanger

Need to work out this clutch mechanism out so i can start getting the pedal box together,

not even sure where it attaches on the gearbox, or does it fit to a clutch reservoir or something.

need a polo drivers side engine mount too

Back to the top

grungeisdead said

campers were in edinburgh but aye bargains all round

traffic engineer must be a pretty interesting job! yeh hoppygti is rich, proper sound fella, drop him a pm about details on the PP meet which is around your neck of teh woods :)

bit of the scottish lingo slipping in there…  :D

Back to the top
wooo, busy wee day.

beenas finally met its new owner, soon to be 20vt'd

housemate finally got himself a car, turns out its a sweet dub, sorted :)

another piccie of the exhaust

got the rear panel in primer

engine bays done in por15 now

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.