Skip navigation

MK1 Jetta Coupe 20vt

Back to the top

MK1 Jetta Coupe 20vt

s1oww said

I'm not sure. I may drill holes in the car and plate and then screw it on or if I think tape will hold it on ok, I'll tape it.

I used trim tape on mine  :wink:

DubPartz

Back to the top
It looks like the new interior won't be done for a bit which I'm a bit gutted about.
The car isn't looking how I want it at all, but as they say the show must go on.

I'm just giving it a but of a tart up at the minute.

Front sanded and painted again as it was badly chipped from a year of use.

I've also just noticed my headlamp is looking a bit manky, so need to sort that at some point.

Bonnet touched up, I'm not going over board on it, I'll do that when I can afford to get it painted.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5
Wife - 2005 Mini D, 1959 Beetle

Back to the top
Polished and collected :)

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
I thought they just had to be original bbs gold, plus i thought they needed smaller dishes on to show off the spokes.

A little preview :)

They are now 9 and 7.5, fingers crossed my tyres will go on.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
Yeah I'm pleased with how they came out. I was never a fan of them in black.
I think my front tyres don't look great, I wish someone would make a 185 or 175 x 40 x16.

I ground down the inlet to remove the chunk taken out of it. I also ground down the bonnet.
Took me all evening. I shut the Bonnet and drive it down the road and back to square one.
I can't work out why it's suddenly moved up a bit.
It looks like I'm going to have to chop the bonnet web out a bit. I hate the look of this and I can't weld a bit in to make it look nice with out wrecking the paint on the bonnet.
So my Bonnet will look gash.

And
Back to square one

No seats

A few more of my wheels :)

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
I colour coded the inserts and i was going to paint the end of the bolts too, but ran out of time.

After a nightmare of a journey to ultimate dubs i'm back.

My nice new wheels wouldnt fit at all. In there previous spec the had very low offsets, now, really high offsets.
With the rear being 9's they kept hitting the shock. On friday morning i went to get some adapters made in 70mm and 40mm, but all they had was steel. So i said do them and i'll try, but oh my god were they heavy. So i decided they would have to be used for show use only this weekend.
So i raided the garage and my mates garage to see what spacers i could find. We didnt have enough so the wife drove an hour to get me some from halfords :)

The rear spec was 9.5, 20, 18, 9.5 and it worked. I couldnt do over 70, but the car worked.
As for the front, they ended up 5, 18, 9.5, but they shook really bad, could do over 50mph.

Then about 30min into the journey i got a flat, took the wheel off and went to a tyre shop to get it fixed. The bead wasnt sealing, so loads of bead sealer later it was fixed.
I decided that id borrow my mates car and drive home to collect a pair of my trusty RS's just incase it went down again.

another 30min on a dual carriage way, BANG, shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake, into grass verge. It had popped off agian.
Jacked up the car and swapped to the rs, so much smoother, so pulled over in a layby and changed the other front wheel.

Got to the show and put on the stupidly heavy adapters and wheels complete with flat tyre.
Came back in to the show on sunday to find the other one had gone flat too. So my car has been on show with 2 flat tyres.

I over heard some people saying it was a show thing so the tyres looked lower profle :( ha ha

right then, on with the thread.

I chopped the bonnet web out to clear the inlet, as id just had enough, then fibre glasses the hole so it looked presentable.

Put on my new rear plinth with tape, new Volkswagen baadge, my NOS Jetts Fuel Injection badge ive been saving.
As my seat wernt done i thought id better change the inside a little, after all i dont want to be like Gareth Vento that hasnt changed his car in a million years.

So in went went my BBS wood steering wheel ive had for ages, a gut specced it as and opional extra on his 7 series in 1988.
Quaife white nylon gear knob, and the 90's wood look Pioneer head unit. My mate got it in an M3 he brought and i loved it :)

Seat froms were replace to lower the seats because i hated how high they were last year on those frames.

All little changes that i dont think 99% of people noticed as the wheels seem to take centre stage.

On my own at the end

And i then managed t rip my seat, really annoyed.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
New scuttle tray

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
Sorry to hear about your problems with these wheels.  I love the look though you keep stepping it up!

Back to the top
Leading up to UD my time was spent making these for a good mate as a suprise.

I designed and built them from scratch.
Laser cut 3mm stainless steal, then folded to make the bases. Hand polished sides, this was a pain, next time I'll get a pro to do it. I couldn't feel my hand for 2 days.

The backs are made from high quality ply, cut and routered tops to give some shape, then 3 coats of oak stain and 2 coats clear varnish.

Bases are made of 2 different types of foam and the back just one as it dies take much weight.
These were then trimmed by my mum in red tweed which was brought for my E30, but it's all I had and matched his car well.

The rears are screwed together with zinc dome screws with all heads lined up.

I then redesigned his Logo as the original didn't go with the style of the seats. I had a few stickers printed up, luckily he liked it and wasn't offered I changed it.

Now I've had a bit of interest in these so may have to make and sell a few sets.

I need to take a few pictures with a proper camera, but for now iPhone ones will have to do.

They are for his little truck.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
I see that you painted the top and bottom of the inside of the headlight.  Did it change your visibility at night after painting them?

Back to the top
love the full car collection :) keep up the good work mate well done!

Ive Drove Many Cars, But NONE Like A MK1

Back to the top
^^^ thanks :)
Roadboss, they are still ok, to be honest there wasn't a huge amount of difference. They werent great in the first place, but enough for me to see down the small British country lanes :)

Was ment to have the seats done by now, but the weathers been so rank i haven't done them.

Wheels have now been split and rebuilt narrower to make the tyres seal. I wish someone would make some 185-35-16 , 195-40 just looked stupid so the only option was to narrow the wheel.

Adapters made lighter. I wasn't keen on alloy so thought I'd try this. Steel with loads of holes in them. A jig was made so every hole is exactly the same on all 4 :).
Now I just have to see if they fit.
The adapters look cool in the flesh.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
All wheels splits down and rebuilt again. This time slightly thinner, so backs are now 8.5 and fronts are just under 7. The tyres look much better, but it now means my adapters are too big. So until I can get a few mm chopped off I've had to raise the car up a bit.

Jack it up in a hole.

Too much stretch on a 9, it looked silly.

Back on in 4x4 ride height.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
Saw this at Stonor park today. Looked lovely. Didn't get a chance to have a chat though. You were a busy chap.

Back to the top
A few from dc with some mates.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top

golf1980 said

Saw this at Stonor park today. Looked lovely. Didn't get a chance to have a chat though. You were a busy chap.

Cheers man, just come and prod me and say hi.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
Love it!

Back to the top
I won ten of the best at Edition 38, i was really chuffed. I know the car isnt a show car so i was stunned to get a prize.

Before the show i changed up the interior, i fitted an uber cool set of my BarnSeats up front.
These are a grp seat that only weighs 3KG per seat, so silly light.

Silks Bare

I decided to keep my thin back seat and not fir the standard rear seat id spent so long looking for.
Both front and rear seats were trimmed in genuine Harris Tweed, silly money for material, but it is lovely.

I had a wicked weekend apart from some scum stole some bits off my car.
I had some small plastic window rubber joiners taken on friday night,
then on saturday i had someone try to get into both my jetta and my corrado
so i moved them both right outside my tent, yet still some tosser stole my genuine chrome flag mirrors, i was gutted,

Missing mirrors

New BarnSeats trimmed in Harris Tweed

Myself and 3 mates all won awards :)

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
Amazing 8) Well deserved :D

Back to the top
Congrats!

There are too many online users to list.