Skip navigation

Wide-arched 1983 Golf Gti-G60 with Digifiz!

Back to the top

Wide-arched 1983 Golf Gti-G60 & Digifiz!

Tyres fitted and now steels on the car.. Tracking is well out though and after driving to another three tyre shops after the ones that fitted the tyres who couldn't do the tracking its still not done. Will try Wheel Power in Brockley or PDQ in Sidcup tomorrow or Monday as I need four wheel tracking done.
Here's some fitted pics though, also wound the front and rear coilovers up 5mm just to make sure I don't shred the tyres on the arches:

Back to the top
Hey dude, any word on the wheels?

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
I will take all the measurements and post them up for sale tomorrow or Monday after sending out a first refusal email to those who want them, busy with uni work atm though.

Back to the top
Hi met you at prept! car was looking smart! nice to chat! mine was the grey mk1,

Steve

Back to the top
Hello Steve, your golf was looking sick. If you read back through this thread you can see im after an upswept exhaust like yours (Not as crazy though). You going down to prept again this month?

Also just to update I got the tracking done today by Wheel Power in Brockley. Very friendly service and they knew exactly what they were doing, can't recommend them enough!

Print out is as follows:

They didn't keep the before setup as it was so far out..

Further more, my Coolingmist meth/water injection set up with Varicool controller is on the way!
For those who don't know what this is and can't be bothered to read up on it, it basically injects a meth/water mist into the intake, this cools the boost and engine, allows more advanced timing, lets you run more boost, raises the fuels octane, reduces emissions and cleans the carbon off the engine. It is used in turbo/supercharged cars and once set up will come on at a boost level of my choosing and create around 20-30bhp and about the same again in ft/lbs of torque..
This will warrant a dyno tune to get the best out of the engine which will also give me some power figures and torque curves for you to gawp at. Will also force me to get a Quaife LSD fitted which I am trying to source at the moment.

Back to the top
Update:
Got sick of the front and rear number plates so got a pressed rear plate and made a magnetic plate for the front myself. The car got a full clean, paint restore and polish and so I took a few new pictures. Also took the photos in the location I took my first photo for a before and after shot:

Back to the top
looks great :)

Back to the top
Update time! After a few weeks of ordering the odds and sods needed I have finally started my Meth/Water injection install.

Finished off the metal bracket for the wheel well today and got it bolted up, made it out of an old ikea wall bracket so don't think its too bad an attempt. I then strapped in the tank and attached the controller, hopefully will get some good weather over the weekend to wire and plumb it all in and then set it up.

Back to the top
Time for an update.
Still havent plumbed in the meth injection but will get it done soon.

I have been having problems with the chrome aftermarket door handles so sourced some Porsche scripted handles and have swapped the rear mechanism from my original handles and polished them which I finished today:

I have also bought a full lock set so that I can have one key for the handles and ignition.

On another note I have also managed to source an original VW blue mk1 dash in mint condition which I will be swapping for my current black one. I also got hold of a Porsche glove box with the crested latch which I will fit to the new glove box lid on the blue dash to match the handles and am looking at getting some Porsche seats to match the other parts.

Back to the top
Love this, will be watching :D

Adam. :)

________________________  RS3

Back to the top
Cheers Adam

Right little update, I have got hold of a set of Porsche Recaro Sport seats in script material for the front and rear of the car.. they are in pretty much mint condition other than the drivers lower bolster which is worn and the piping around the top section is broken up.
Other than this the material is in really good condition so currently my plan is to take it to the upholsters where I had the original seats done, have the fabric re-dyed (not sure if I can have it bleached and then re-dyed navy blue or just back to black) have the padding repaired or find an actual replacement for the bolster repair and then replace the piping.
The drivers bolster material is also pretty much worn through, hopefully I can get some scripted Porsche material to get it recovered to match but if not I may have to just keep the centres scripted and reupholster the edges to match the back black vinyl/leather.

The rears are going to take a little more work, I want to try and pick up an old set of seats for the frames and then use the original rear bench frame and create a mount for the rear buckets. I havent taken any measurements as yet but the top section does look like it should fit in even though it is wide.. If it dosent I will modify it by maybe trimming some of the edges but retain the shape.
If this proves to be near impossible I will hopefully be able to use the fabric to trim up a bench that fits and then use some of the material for the drivers bolster.

Also just for a bit of added history, these seats were out of a low owner 1985 Porsche 944 which the buyer at the time of purchase specified with upgraded Recaro Sport Seats as these are usually found in 911's. They are also all mechanical with no electrics which is a bonus to keep weight down.

I have contacted astraman18 on here whom I am waiting to hear back from as he made the brackets to use the original runners from the golf seats on ans4r's project which is my preferred option as opposed to welding some bars in and bolting the runners to them which I think looks rubbish.

Right im off to plumb up my meth kit!

Back to the top
While working on the car I removed the rear seats and trial fitted the Porsche seats.. Not only do they fit but they look pretty good too id say! I think I would raise the rear up a little so the buckets sit round a little more than in the pictures below though.

This picture shows a stripped out 944, you can see that there is dips and a raised centre section in the interior body work and as you may already know there are dips under the rear seats in a mk1.. which are strangely exactly the right width for the porsche seats dips.

Also there are boxy sections coming from the wheel arches which fill the curved sections in the lower part of the seats. which can be seen in this picture showing a 944 fitted interior.

Anyway to conclude I think its going to be fairly straight forward adapting a rear bench frame to accomodate the Porsche rear buckets.
I will create a centre section and side sections out of wood and have the centre bit covered in the same material as my carpets and the sides padded and covered in a black vinyl to match my rear panels.

Back to the top
Have you got some porsche calipers yet?

Back to the top
No calipers, but unless i get some different wheels you wouldnt see them under the g60 steels anyway

Back to the top
Update:
Meth injection is fully wired and plumbed up.. Only issue is it dosent actually seem to be pumping any water. I am guessing it is a problem with the pump as the controller is lighting up and opperating correctly as far as I can tell so will have to find a way to test it or repair it.

I also took my porker handles to a metal polishers I know to give it that final mirror finish which I got cheap as I had done most of the hard work to get it there.
Fitting was a piece of cake and they work perfectly and dont flex like the plastic ones I had and the original handles, also look the mutts nuts!

Whilst doing the meth wiring I also decided to adapt the Porsche crested glove box handle to fit and colour code my 'G60' badge as I had some touch up paint lying around.
To modify the handle is pretty simple but if you have a key for the lid you will have to lose it to fit, not a problem for me as I didnt have a key. Not sure if the ones with the plastic infill instead of a keyhole would also work but I just used a bit of clear plastic cut to size as you dont see it anyway.

On another note I picked up a pair of standard seat bases to adapt for the 911 Recaro Sport seats from Hertfordshire only to pick up a full set of GX seats and a new VW heritage rear shelf from Surrey Sunday. (Thanks Rich and FEZ!)
I have stripped down the rear bench to the frame to begin building it up for the rear buckets using ply and the original fowm and will have the front mounts welded to fit the Recaros by a good metal worker I know.

Back to the top
Nice one mate, you didnt waste any time at all :D cars looking awesome by the way

Back to the top
Cheers mate. Yeah well the uni work sort of got put on the back burner once I started working on them.. What was the name of the bloke who might be able to help me out with touching up the paint?

Back to the top
Haha its always the way, ive spent most of my time looking at my next selection of upgrades instead of doing work.

Reuben at TuningWerkes should be able to sort you out

http://www.tuningwerkes.com/

Im just looking for his swallowtail thread for you now

Back to the top
Update time!

Last night I finished the meth injection system, its set to begin at 9psi and be on full injection at 15psi and is currently on tune setting 1 of 10 which means at 15psi the pump is at 32.5% duty cycle.
I am running a 60:40 water to meth mix and this has a noticeable performance increase to say the least! It now feels like the engine has an added power-band when the pump kicks in.. It is pretty ridiculous to drive.

I am going to gradually increase the tune until I get to the maximum the engine can cope with. Others who have fitted these to G60's have said that at a certain tune level depending on engine mods the car seems to bog down at which point they drop it down to the previous tune level and keep it on that.

Here's some photos:

I have also ordered the steel parts needed to make up the Porsche subframes which I should get done during the week and will then start on the rear bench. This means my re-trimmed interior will be up for sale soon.

Back to the top
Update:
Took the car out for a spin, the added oomph from the meth blew the front plate off at one point at speed but it could have been the dirty bonnet I stuck it on.. either way its a small price to pay! Also must have knocked the speedo cable out of the fusebox when wiring the meth as Digifiz just read 0 the whole time, tried to fix it on the side of the road but will sort it properly when I put the new blue dash in.

Also had the windscreen wiper polished and had a new shiny wiper blade. Turns out the wiper arm is steel and rusted within a couple of hours so now getting it chromed and should get it back next week but took a picture before it got too wet!

On another note I picked up a pretty rare Richard Grant rear lower spoiler today (Thanks Kimi!) which I am planning to use to make a mould and create a fiberglass or carbon fibre replica without the key hole.. Will also be lighter than the rubber original, wont fade or get holes in and I should be able to turn out a few as soon as I have the mould finished so let me know if your interested!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.