Skip navigation

Watson's engine rebuild - small update . . . .

Back to the top

Watson’s engine rebuild - new mot and a few new pics....

ans4r said

ikea dont paint cars do they :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ans4r -Big yellow self storage not Ikea - nearly right. Seemed a too good a photo opportunity to miss !

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
Inspirational stuff!!! Brilliant work, I'm about to try and rebuild my spare engine and don't have much of a clue!

Zashtunes

Back to the top
Malcolm;  Only had the bay done, and did under the arches myself. But would guess a complete good repaint must be around the 1.5 to 2k mark.

Ash;  It is seeing the rebuilds on this forum, that has given me the inspiration and enthusiasm to go ahead  with  ideas to improve HGT. Good luck with your engine rebuild.

Latest update:   Returned to work last week, after nearly 7 months off due to the shoulder episode - bit of a shock to the system.  Nice to be putting things back on HGT at last.  Started with the eyes !  Both struts and rack referbed and finished in satin black - new rubber boots,/guators  Cvs  to be fitted.  A few pics. More to follow:

IMGP1771.JPG

IMGP1778.JPG

IMGP1811.JPG

IMGP1813.JPG

IMGP1814.JPG

Last edit: by watson

Back to the top
Lovely stuff - really like what you've done to it 8)

Where did you get your pistons and rings from? Are they genuine VW or aftermarket stuff? And also, how much did the re-bore cost?

Thanks

Rich

Back to the top
Please share details with us Dave :redfaced:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
IMGP1563.JPG

Pistons are Kolbenschmidt oe, and were supplied with the rings by Roland Alsop engineering, who also did the rebore . I think the rebore was around £75 plus vat

Rich;  Long time no see . How's that swallowtail coming along - finished yet ?

Allana;  Unfortunately the Transporter and trailer aren't  mine !

Back to the top
Your car is looking amazing! I take it you are coming to the AGM this year AND camping.

T

Back to the top
Very impressive work there!
Out of interest, what did you make the radiator air deflectors out of?

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

watson said

Rich;  Long time no see . How's that swallowtail coming along - finished yet ?

Ahem  :redfaced:

The 76 is still a work in (extremely slow) progress - I've powdercoated the suspension and am aiming to have it rolling on wheels this year. I've been working on the engine too - I need some rings for it (thanks very much for the info ;)). I've lined up some Megasquirt parts for it too…

I'll update the thread when I've got some interesting pics again!

Really enjoyed this thread on yours though - top work! I'll aim to get to the Porsche & VW show at Wellington Country Park this year so might see you there?

Rich

Back to the top
Rich just to let you know the VW show is not at Wellington county park anymore it's now at Windsor race course & it on the 25th sept ;)

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top

James_W said

Rich just to let you know the VW show is not at Wellington county park anymore it's now at Windsor race course & it on the 25th sept ;)

Thanks James ;)

Nice to see I'm well clued up about these things still!

Rich

Back to the top
Great work here, love it when someone rebuilds one of the smaller engined early golfs its not all about GTI's, your is one of the original baby's. Engine looks great keep up the hard work. Guy

If it isnt broke fix it until it is.

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments chaps.  Looking unlikely that we'll be going to the AGM  this year. No way is the car going to be finished in time. A shame as I really wanted this to be the cars first show after the rebuild. Got a couple of shows lined up for later on - have to see how things pan out.  Real pleased with how its coming back together though.   Only down-point is my Uncle who bought the car new, is no longer around to see how his car is looking now.  

Paceman; Air deflectors are made from 18g ali.  Easy to knock up.  Drilled off the small fixings from the old cardboard ones, and riveted them onto the new.

Update;  Cleaned up the nsr inner arch - stone chipped and sprayed top coat. . Also cleaned up the rear springs and painted hammerite satin black.  Next job is the osr inner arch and also have a new fuel filler pipe to go on - also the gear linkage to be cleaned and referbed.  Well, most of the bits came back from the platers - still waiting for a few bits.  Fitted
the referbed steering rack and osf strut, and fed the wiring back through the bulkhead.  Pleased with the progress.  Also glad I took lots of pics when dismantling - soo helpful to refer to when putting things back together.  Amazed how well the original rubber steering boot cleaned up after 32 years with just brake cleaner  - and no splits or anything.

Osf  strut.

Steering rack.

Some shiny bits.

Rack fitted.

Wiring pulled back through.

Back to the top
Top work Dave

Looks awesome

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Brilliant, I clearly have a LONG way to go, keep it up it's great to see how the car should really look.

Dan
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=696019#696019
Feb 2012 update, I have lots of parts for sale in the classified section, they've all got to go.

Back to the top
great stuff, will you make AGM?

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

You've got your work cut out this week if you're going to make it Dave!

Best you stop reading on here and get cracking!!!!  :lol:

Back to the top

Dano said

Swallowtail_uk said

You've got your work cut out this week if you're going to make it Dave!

Best you stop reading on here and get cracking!!!!  :lol:

ha ha ha  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.