Skip navigation

Watson's engine rebuild - small update . . . .

Back to the top

Watson’s engine rebuild - new mot and a few new pics....

daz1971 said

Dave….don't like the colour………………………………………………………!!
 :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :roll:  :roll:
 :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
looks great mate :wink:

Banner

Back to the top
Since the last update, been getting as many miles a I can on the new engine to run it in. Very pleased with it - so quiet and silky smooth.  Afraid HGT isn't so clean now after the recent dirty weather.  Aiming to give it a good clean when the weather improves.  

Yes Daz, decided on a colour change for 2012 . . . . . . . . . . .in the boot.   This still has the black Zibart rust proofing paint that was applied when new.   A lot of the black has rubbed off and looks a mess, with bits of yellow showing through here and there. So thought it about time to do something about it and smarten up the rear end to match the front.

Armed with rag and white spirit, I decided to do a tester and clean off a small patch of the Zibart paint. Got really into it and ended up doing  nearly all the floor in one hit. Was pleased to discover no rot, only yellow paint that hasn't seen daylight since 1979.  I think the guy who sprayed the Zibart on tried to fill the pressings in the floor and make it smooth. - it was so thick.  Unfortunately, I rubbed through the yellow on some of the high spots, so a boot repaint is planned in yellow.  

After a recent tidy of the garage I came across the 2 cardboard  boot side panels that were originally fitted to the car. I took them out when we fitted the rear belts in the 90's.  Nice to rediscover them - they will be going back in after the repaint.  Another discovery the other day was the original dealer key fob which I found with a spare set of keys hidden away in  HGT's old paperwork file.

A couple of other small things. A pair of new number plates are ready to go on with the original dealer  - John Ashley Motors of Teddington - on the bottom. Also a dealer rear window sticker and tax disc holder.  Has anyone else got a mk1 that came from this dealer ?

A real messy job. But after a couple of hours work…….

Then a few more……..

Back to the top
nice work dave

i'm still looking for them clips for you :( sorry i haven't found them yet

where did you get the dealer stuff from? looks really smart

Banner

Back to the top
Hi My 83 GTi was serviced from new by John Ashley in Teddington. According to the service book only the first service was not carried out by them. I brought the car from a guy in Hull just before christmas 2011. Strange thing is although i now live in Northern Ireland i was born and raised in Teddington middlesex. I was so happy when i saw the tax disc holder in the window with their name on it. my mother and father brought all there cars from John Ashley and all our family cars used to be serviced by them. Getting their number plate and rear sticker is a good idea i must get in touch with them. Do you know who the first owner of your car was?

Amazing detailed build.

Andy

Back to the top
I knew you would be good at rubbing things vigorously ;-)

Good job mate and nice touches too!!

Back to the top
Dave, you shocked me when I saw the words "Colour change" in the thread  8O , glad to see you just meant  the boot area, looking better and better everytime I have a read of this thread  8)  8)

Cant wait to see it again  :wink:

Back to the top
nice work.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
That looks Clean Dave :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
on the boot floor  what are them bolts for ? got the same sort of bolts in my 77

Back to the top

astraman18 said

on the boot floor  what are them bolts for ? got the same sort of bolts in my 77

They hold the rear bumper on  :wink:

Back to the top
Read through the whole thread….what can i say, just amazing work!!

Loving the colour!

Back to the top
keep up the hard work watson! amazing indepth work! you just know she'll run for another 32 years AND MORE! shes a credit to you buddy!

B

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
Very good as always Dave ;)

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments chaps. Also thanks JB for the hub cap clips - top man.  Been busy in the garage again, and glad to say I've now cleaned the last of the black stuff off.  Next step is to get the boot prepped and repainted.

Trial fitted the cardboard side panels. Does anyone know where I can get some new fixing clips ?   The rear washer bottle bracket cleaned up well, as this was coated in the Zibart paint too.  Ordered a new pair of rear light inner covers from BBT  - thought a nice finishing touch once the paint is done.

Bottle bracket…..

New light inner covers…..

Back to the top
Nice work Dave, that Ziebert stuff does a great job. I used to own a 1965 MK1 mini that was covered in it and not a spot of rust

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks amazing top work :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Been a while since any updates. Pleased to report the engine is running super smooth.  Oil change at 200 miles and tappets fine adjustment - really happy with it.  Just getting more miles on it before HGT goes on a long run.

New 2k paint in the boot is such an improvement on the old look. Glad I made the move and got it done - so easy just to put it on the list of things to do.  Unfortunately the old paint code sticker on the boot floor came to grief during the painting. An e-mail to Passion Restoration Products who did my dealer number plates, and they made a new one up for me. They also made up a new Ziebart window sticker to replace the old one that's been damaged for years - very impressed.  This 'Improving the mk1' is addictive stuff - but so rewarding.  Next job, Clean the headlining.  

New look boot…..

New stickers and Dealer plates…

All ready now for Stonor Park on Sunday.

Back to the top
stunning dave

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
top work !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.