Skip navigation

Watson's engine rebuild - small update . . . .

Back to the top

Watson’s engine rebuild - new mot and a few new pics....

Its getting there and as usual looks quality  :mrgreen:

When it fired up I am sure there was a small grin on your face  :wink:

Think how good it will feel on your first drive  :D

Poss going to make the AGM as luckily I have not yet booked my hols and the start of July is when we always go so hopefully myself the wife and 2 boys will make it to see HGT.  :mrgreen:

Chris

Back to the top
Hi Dave

Just read your whole thread, that's amazing! I didn't think there was much left to do on yours but it now looks factory fresh. I'd be pleased if mine (eventually! :lol: ) looks half this good.

Make sure you're not afraid of driving her though ;)

I think she should last a few more decades now

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Very pleased to say the engine rebuild is finished. Had a short drive on my own private test track (driveway) and apart from the tracking, all seems spot on. Runs so smooth and quietly - I don't even remember it sounding so good when I first got it in 1990 with 26k on the clock. Big smiles all round !  So pleased, and big thanks to Steve for all he's done with the rebuild.  Planning on using HGT over the winter, getting some miles on, then ready for some shows next year.

So, Thursday morning, hoping to get the tracking done, and mot'd , then up to the NEC.

Pics.

Back to the top
Noticed the AA badge, hope you dont need them but you just dont know if you can trust people who work on your engine nowadays   :wink:  :mrgreen:

As usual Dave, top quality work and it no doubt looks better than when you got it in 1990 as well as sounds better  :clap:

Back to the top
AA badge was on the car from new - although I took it off for a while.  Then saw a few mk1's with an AA badge - and it kind of matches the cars colour - so it went back on.  Theres only one person going to be doing anything with that engine though  :lol:

Back to the top
Good idea with the colour co-ordinated badge, I am going to buy this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAF-JAPAN-AUTO-FEDERATION-CAR-CLUB-GRILLE-BADGE-RED-/320789122765?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab0858ecd

The only thing is I am in Scotland and I think the Vw is from Germany but  :dontknow:   :wink:  :mrgreen:

Thought the red would go with the car and the white picks up the new wheels  :|

Back to the top
Looks brilliant Dave, just an engine no bling!

T :clap:

Back to the top
Wow, nice one Dave, looks like a brand new motor, you must be well chuffed :)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
Missed a bit!!!  :mrgreen:

See you Thursday for a thorough going over!  :wink:

Back to the top

Dano said

Missed a bit!!!  :mrgreen:

See you Thursday for a thorough going over!  :wink:

You can't keep me waiting 'till tomorrow Dan. What bit have I missed ?

Back to the top

Back to the top
looks absolutely superb , best wishes for it .

Back to the top
Looks awesome Dave, cant wait to see it in the flesh

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Brilliant work :)

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments. Pleased to say HGT passed the mot this morning and had the tracking done. Then back on the trailer for the 100 mile trip up to the NEC to join Kaz5's low mileage cabby, Yomp's stunning black GTI and Bert's  Citi Golf on the club stand. We got there late in the day - and missed the cakes again. Thanks for the Subway Dan - was starving !

Back to the top

watson said

Thanks for the comments. Pleased to say HGT passed the mot this morning and had the tracking done. Then back on the trailer for the 100 mile trip up to the NEC to join Kaz5's low mileage cabby, Yomp's stunning black GTI and Bert's  Citi Golf on the club stand. We got there late in the day - and missed the cakes again. Thanks for the Subway Dan - was starving !

Hey Watson, how u doing buddy? car looked great on the stand at the NEC, i had a good look at it, love the detail in the bay. Hope to catch with you soon mate.

Bob

Back to the top
Honoured and well chuffed to be asked to put the mk1 on the Club stand  at the NEC - what a great way to end the rebuild. Nice as well to meet up with faces old and new for a chat.

I picked up some more ideas at the NEC on how to improve the car, so maybe the rebuild isn't finished.. Looks like a few more jobs to do over the winter months. Looking forward to some shows next year, especially the AGM.

Thanks again to Steve G  for all his help, and seeing the project through from start to finish - and the use of his Transporter and trailer.  Also the guys at Crazyquiff's for their help on my regular Saturday morning visits with shopping list.

Cheers,

Dave.

Back to the top
What's left to improve Dave, it looks mint already! 8)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Dave….don't like the colour………………………………………………………
 :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :roll:  :roll:
 :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
looks great mate :wink:

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.