Skip navigation

The diesel daily!

Back to the top

The diesel daily!

shhh!!

Banner

Back to the top
Haha knew you couldn't resist Matt! That 1.6td is supposed to be quite a beast.

Back to the top
Hope you take the cabby to the AGM Bert I would like to have a good old chat and admire your conversion :D

Back to the top

baller said

Hope you take the cabby to the AGM Bert I would like to have a good old chat and admire your conversion :D

maybe next year, no chance for this year, Bert is a quiality not quantity man :D

Back to the top

mAtt- said

baller said

maybe next year, no chance for this year, Bert is a quiality not quantity man :D
cheers matttttt and baller it wont be this year,too many things on the go,next probably  8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
bought some new shoes…

but have this problem…

spacers purchased.    :mrgreen:

Back to the top
nice wheels mate look great, i think i'm going to get a set of these, my RM's take to much lookin after ..

mAtt

Back to the top
they look mint mate ! :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
On and they don't touch the calipers and it only took 3mm spacers!

Back to the top

blans said

On and they don't touch the calipers and it only took 3mm spacers!

has someone knicked your garage and left the base?  :lol:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Nah bert it's opposite a parking bay at my brothers… makes a nice car stand though!

Back to the top
Nice daily, I'd love a clean mk1 diesel!

Back to the top
Been a good while since i've done an update on this as we have been getting on quite well …

nice new dash bulbs so I could see all what was happening again!

…. and finally got my speedo working after working round all the difficult problems first eventually checked the easiest thing to change .. and guess what!

:ocf_emoticons__BangHead::ocf_emoticons__BangHead:… Anyway all these seem to be quite insignificant against my problem of not being able to keep ALL of my oil and water in my engine. I've been running the 1.5d head on the 1.6d block for quite a time now and all was good until I noticed that my rad hoses were getting pretty solid and could hear gurgling when I was switching the engine off.. Okay I thought so I must be boiling change stat and fanswitch and was still getting the same symptoms .. definately not good so used a kseal as a temporary fix until I could source a new (secondhand) head (thanks JB!!) and it seemed to work for about a month and then the symptoms have returned??

As a side I have also had this constant oil leak and had tried cork gaskets, rubber gaskets, just silicone and the cork and rubber with silicone and could just not get the (what I suspected) rocker to seal.. eventually I got hacked off with it and booked it into a garage for a proper mechanic to look at it.. and it seems the problem was  leak from the cam seal :$.. anyway it's all sorted and nice and dry on the timing end of the engine which TBH was a bit of a novelty as i'd never seen it looking in a non oily state since the 1.5 head went on. :ocf_emoticons__cheer:…. that was until tonight..

I've since cleaned it with brake cleaner so it's all clean again and ran the car but can't find an oil leak?? Ever get the feeling a car doesn't really like you? :(

Back to the top
Sounds like you've had it tough! Can't believe how worn the speedo gear was either.

Well done with persevering  :)  

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Ouch that looks like a fairly hefty oil leak mate. You must be spending a few quid on oil keeping it topped up :(

Back to the top
Yeah I think i'm single handedly keeping the petro chemical industry in  business!!!!!!!

Got into work this morning and the blue ba**ard has done an "art attack" in the car park.

Anyway at least I found where the leak is coming from as it looks like it's the only seal that didn't get replaced on the timing end of the engine… the Crank :(I do love the little 1.6d but it really is giving my bank account a beating.

Back to the top
I popped into your work this morning looking for a section of pipe to bodge my exhaust ( having just put a AAZ in my caddy, was admiring your car good luck with the leak.

Back to the top

blans said

Yeah I think i'm single handedly keeping the petro chemical industry in  business!!!!!!!

Got into work this morning and the blue ba**ard has done an "art attack" in the car park.

Anyway at least I found where the leak is coming from as it looks like it's the only seal that didn't get replaced on the timing end of the engine… the Crank :(I do love the little 1.6d but it really is giving my bank account a beating.

She does look good though in that pic  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Back to the top
Hi,

I have a leaky cam cover too, and I was going to get a new seal. Do you reckon I should look at the cam seal too?
The 1500 has a breather to the block as well asa breather to the rocker cover, which could be pressurising it and pushing the oil out.

So have you found where the oil is coming from?

Robin

VW Golf 1500D 5-door 1978 - was daily (wet)
VW Golf 1800 cabriolet 1980 - daily (dry)
Bedford CF Trailblazer 1978 - camper
Bedford CF 350 Flatbed 1976 - fun/work
Mercedes W108 280s 1970 - dusty and forgotten
Mercedes S123 200T 1983 - to be renovated
Mercedes C124 1989 - Winter Beater
BMW E21 1976/82 - dusty but not forgotten
Twingo 2004 (not my fault, somebody gave it to me!)

Back to the top
looking good blans

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
There are too many online users to list.