Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Good work ;)

Dedication changing the stud pattern for one set of wheel, must be nice, are they under wraps :ninja:

Back to the top
Thanks rich and john  :thumbs:

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Good work ;)

Dedication changing the stud pattern for one set of wheel, must be nice, are they under wraps :ninja:

Cheers Pete

Wheels are linea 16" 2 piece alloys

Matt

Back to the top
Another small bit of progress

Changed the hub bolts for black ones

Forgot to set the track rod arm lengths, so took the boots off again  :dry: with some help from my daughter

Rebuilt

Bolted in place

Love the parallel aspect of the brace and steering rack  :thumbs:

Started building the pedal box up, wish oh I wish I'd taken more photos  :dry:  but getting there

And clean the steering rack boot with some autoglym bumper care cream, came up like new  :thumbs:

Got all the bushes ordered for the front and rear anti roll bars from classic-vw. Will get the front one fitted, then flip the car over for the rear beam to go on.

Then I'm hoping to make a removable headliner whilst she's upside down. Thinking of using ply/cardboard/resin? Anyone ever attempted this?

Cheers
Matt

Back to the top
Love fitting nice new shiny bits  :thumbs:

Did you dab a spot weld on the back of the hub bolts to stop them from coming loose?  :thumbs:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

There is something strangely satisfying about it!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
just read though this thread,slow night at work :lol: what a cracking build,great colour choice,loving the wheels,that strut brace/top mount assembly is incredible,what a car this is going to be,tip of my cap to you sir.

lemon yellow 83 mk1
e39 bmw 520i msport
missus' peugeot 308

have had everything from AE86's to E30's to vtec hondas….this is my first VW.
i'll definitely need help:lol:

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

Did you dab a spot weld on the back of the hub bolts to stop them from coming loose?  :thumbs:

Which bolts do you mean? To mount the wheels?

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

pazwaa said

There is something strangely satisfying about it!  :lol:

Cheers Andy, think we're a bit sad  :lol:

GearoidLA1D said

just read though this thread,slow night at work :lol: what a cracking build,great colour choice,loving the wheels,that strut brace/top mount assembly is incredible,what a car this is going to be,tip of my cap to you sir.

Thank you sir. Hopefully be finished one year, maybe  :lol:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Lhasa2008 said

Yeah, sorry I did mean the wheel studs attached to the hubs. I had a brain/keyboard failure at the time and put bolts, duh!  :lol:

Back to the top

Lhasa2008 said

pazwaa said

Lhasa2008 said

Yeah, sorry I did mean the wheel studs attached to the hubs. I had a brain/keyboard failure at the time and put bolts, duh!  :lol:

I thought that's what you meant  :lol:  the hubs I believe are a form of mild steel and the studs are stainless, so can't spot weld them together. Was going to locktite them.

Back to the top
Package from funk star

Front and rear anti roll bar bushes. Great service from classic-VW. I managed to measure the diameter of the roll bars in the wrong place, so ordered the wrong bore bushes, but funk star rang me, explained the problem and ordered me the right ones, so a big thank you and a huge recommendation to use them  :thumbs:

Cheers
Matt

Back to the top
Bi-yearly update.

Unfortunately Shellby is on a severe back burner, life just getting in the way of progress at the minute  :'(

I did manage to pop over and see her this week though.

Firstly I moved her, first time she's moved in years. :lol:

Spun her over so I can work on the suspension. Got the front end anti-roll bar on.

So that's the front end pretty much done. Had hoped to fit the rear end, but my mounting bolts were a shocking state. New ones ordered from funkstar, so once they arrive the rear will progress  :thumbs:

A very boring update, apologies. But any progress is progress.

Till the next time.
Matt

Back to the top
Ordered the bolts from funkstar Monday evening, arrived Wednesday afternoon

Great service again, cheers 👍

No excuses not to fit the rear beam now  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top

Awesome work.. good luck

Reg Kevin

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Back to the top
So, two visits to see the old girl in two weeks. I've made more progress in a fortnight than I have in two years!!!  :lol:

Rear beam in position

Took a little bit of gentle persuasion, but went on OK  :thumbs:  definitely a two person job.

Coilovers in

So I think that's the rear suspension done  :thumbs:

A couple of overall photos

Love this photo  :$

Need a fuel pump and work out how to fit it and that's the back end done for now.

Some questions I hope you boys and girls could answer:-

1. I'm thinking fit nylock nuts on all the suspension parts, due to vibration, but doubt they were fitted originally. Is this good practice or a bad idea?

2. Should there be a split pin and castlated nut for the track rod ends. one of mine has a hole for the pin, the other doesn't?

3. Is this hole in the rear wheel arch for a breather hose to fit between the tank and fuel filler pipe?

Thanks for reading. Any info greatly appreciated  :thumbs:

Till the next time….
Matt

Back to the top

Awesome work man..you make a great job Matt..

Reg Kevin

Back to the top
1. depends on the location on the car. VW use self-locking nuts where required. Mostly they would have crimped thread type, but sometimes nyloc are used

2. again depends. originally they were split pin and castle nut, but aftermarket generally have self-locking nuts instead

3. looks liek it yeah

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

figti said

Awesome work man..you make a great job Matt..

Reg Kevin

rubjonny said

1. depends on the location on the car. VW use self-locking nuts where required. Mostly they would have crimped thread type, but sometimes nyloc are used

2. again depends. originally they were split pin and castle nut, but aftermarket generally have self-locking nuts instead

3. looks liek it yeah

Thanks Kevin. And a massive thanks for the answers Sir Rubjonny  :thumbs:

Back to the top
It's a very sad day, but it's time to face facts, I haven't got time to finish shellby, so it's time to move her along to someone who can.

I'll be starting a 10 day listing on eBay on Thursday. If anyone is interested in continuing this marvellous project, get in touch. Hopefully someone good will see her through to completion and drive her like she deserves.

Thanks for reading
Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.