Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

I've started my rear beam build up. I bought some mk3 rear discs with 5 studs to make an adapter easier for my 5 stud alloys. I was under the impression that the discs should have been tapped M12, but mine seem to have M14  :P  Is M14 correct? Were there different options or have I been sent the wrong discs?

Matt

Back to the top
Excellent work so far bud!

Back to the top

DanChave said

Excellent work so far bud!

Cheers dan  :thumbs:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

I've started my rear beam build up. I bought some mk3 rear discs with 5 studs to make an adapter easier for my 5 stud alloys. I was under the impression that the discs should have been tapped M12, but mine seem to have M14  :P  Is M14 correct? Were there different options or have I been sent the wrong discs?

Matt

Anyone any idea on the drilling?

Matt

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Those wheels and discs look amazing Matt :wub:  :wub:

Stole the words right out of my mouth Andy

Matt they look the nuts! Sorry can't help on thread size for the rears though.

Sunroof filling looks good. I remember Darren on here (Daisy - old member) had his roof filled in - welding and a skim of filler. If I remember the chap who did it said it's almost impossible not to get some sinking around the gap that's been closed up. His did - and the chap put it right for him so it was all ok, but worth bearing in mind that in 6 months or so it could need some attention.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Great work so far mate  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks Andy   :thumbs:
Was nice to finally build something up - and something that looked good  :lol:

Cheers for the heads up. Paint chap (Chris) warned me of the same thing, not an ideal fix to the problem, but didn't want to change the roof at this stage. We're building up under the sunroof (can't remember what with) to try and make it solid so doesn't sag, but only time will tell.

Back to the top
Yeah I can't wait until I'm building some parts back on mine!

Hopefully sunroof should be ok. I remember Daisy had only a small amount of sag - quite soon on - it wasn't much at all or too noticeable but the chap waited about 6 months to put it right to make sure there was no more.

Then I think it was just a very light skim of filler on one corner, repaint and job done, no more problems ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Can confirm all 5 stud vw cars are m14 bud

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Yeah I can't wait until I'm building some parts back on mine!

Hopefully sunroof should be ok. I remember Daisy had only a small amount of sag - quite soon on - it wasn't much at all or too noticeable but the chap waited about 6 months to put it right to make sure there was no more.

Then I think it was just a very light skim of filler on one corner, repaint and job done, no more problems ;)

Won't be long now Andy  :thumbs:

Cheers for the tip off. We were more worried to start with about the filler cracking/splitting, but it was left alone a week, sanded off, then Chris abused the roof quite aggressively (yet in a controlled manner  :lol: ) and no problems. Will take some photos of the packing and finished article, maybe a simple (ish) solution to leaky sunroofs.

Matt

Back to the top

olethalb said

Can confirm all 5 stud vw cars are m14 bud

Cheers olethalb, much appreciated.  :thumbs:

I'd looked on Google and M12 came up a lot. Didn't want to design my adapters around a rogue disc that would cause problems when they needed changing.

Back to the top
Managed to achieve something last night  :thumbs:Firstly, ebay goodies arrived

Needed the mounting brackets in order to mock up the front suspension

Dug these out

All fitted to the wishbone

And to the shell

Suspension

Then the hub

Then fit the alloy

Plenty of clearance between the suspension and the rim

Was hoping to tuck the alloys, but currently think they stick out too much for that. But at least they don't stick out too far

Will see how it all fits with a tyre on, but pleased with how it looks  :thumbs: :wub:Adapters for the rear next week.  :thumbs:Cheers
Matt

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
Oh Matt those alloys look spot-on  :cool:  Like the other shiny, new bits too. I'm jealous, can't wait to be bolting new stuff on the car, it must be a good feeling  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Lookin' good.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Oh Matt those alloys look spot-on  :cool:  Like the other shiny, new bits too. I'm jealous, can't wait to be bolting new stuff on the car, it must be a good feeling  :thumbs:

Cheers andy  :thumbs:

It's all got to come off again (actually it's all off already  :lol: ), but yeah, it's very nice to bolt something on, feels like your finally heading in the right direction  :cool:  soon be your go  :thumbs:

Back to the top

RoadBoss said

Lookin' good.

Thanks Roadboss  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Question!

It looks like the alloy rim is flush/inline with the wing arch. If i want to get the tyre tucked into the arch, what do i do? Options I can think of are:-

a) chamber
b) extend the arch
c) modify the wishbone

Anyone got any experience of this or better ideas?

Cheers
Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Hairyarse said

Cheers andy  :thumbs:

It's all got to come off again (actually it's all off already  :lol: ), but yeah, it's very nice to bolt something on, feels like your finally heading in the right direction  :cool:  soon be your go  :thumbs:

Hope so!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I wouldn't mod the wishbone, then you're into track rods too and a whole heap of work and issues I would have thought.

Camber would work but then tyre wear/handling would be the down side pending how far you go.

Rolling the arches would get my vote ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Oh, hadn't thought of the track rods  :P

Lucky I asked. Will roll the arches and see how it goes  :thumbs:

Cheers.

Back to the top
Question!

I've started to assembly the rear disc conversion. I've bolted the stub axle to the rear beam using standard M10 setscrews

I've then gone to place the rubber washer on, but it won't squeeze past the bolt heads

Do i need to use special M10 fixings with a small head or am i just being thick??  :P

Last edit: by pazwaa

There are too many online users to list.