Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Progress is very slow at the minute. Waiting for paint to be completed, but doubt it will be this year now.   :'(Today I managed to get a bit further forward.

Got my rear beam back from the blasters, so I can get that painted up and start to rebuild it

Also tack welded the sunroof  in the sunroof hole

The plan is to delete all traces of ever having a sunroof, basically seal it up as if it was a tin top. Just not sure the best way to go about it. Welding May warp the roof, filler might crack.  O_oAnyone got any suggestion?

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
New roof skin?

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top

chipster2407 said

New roof skin?

That would have been the best way, but to far into getting it ready for paint for that now  :lol:

Hopefully my bodywork miestro will come up with something.

Back to the top
It'll have to be welded in. You may be able to stitch weld and fill in the gaps(weld 50mm and leave 100mm gap…….) but take your time with the welding, you don't want to be putting a lot of heat into the roof. Hopefully the frame for the sun roof will help to stop any warpage.

Can you see daylight through the sides of the sunroof in to the car?  If you can seal it up properly you could use some pourable resin instead of filler, something like THIS , then skim over the top with filler, what do you think?

Back to the top
Yep, think that's the way to go Andy, cheers. Think we're going to seal the sunroof inside the car and then seal from the outside with an epoxy resin. Will take photos as it evolves.

Back to the top
Good man, sounds like a plan :thumbs:

Back to the top
Quick update. Paintwork still slow, but preperation continues.

Some parts primed

Then had a tidy up and found a rear brake conversion in a box that I didn't know I had  O_o

Just needs a clean up and some paint and will look great.

So purchased some new rear discs and bearings

Once the rear beam is painted I'll build these up.

Back to the top
A small update to keep the thread going.

Took the rear calipers to pieces for a refurb

And clean up all the other components for the rear brakes

Was having trouble painting parts due to the temperature, so knowing there were loads of empty offices at my work, I put the heating on in a small room and left parts in there to warm up. Then painted the parts on the shop floor, and finally left them in the office to bake. All parts came up well

Back to the top
Sunroof is slowly disappearing

Estimate for paint completion is now April. Still to do:-

1. Finish smoothing the engine bay.
2. Finish the sunroof deletion
3. Align all panels, set all gaps correctly.
4. Grey primer
5. Stonechip.
6. Miami blue time!!!!

Cheers for looking, hopefully more updates soon

Matt

Back to the top
Liking the drying bay!! :lol:

Can't wait for Maimi Blue time, it's a lovely colour :wub: Aprils not too far away Matt, soon be here.

You hoping to be driving Shellby this summer?

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Liking the drying bay!! :lol:

Can't wait for Maimi Blue time, it's a lovely colour :wub: Aprils not too far away Matt, soon be here.

You hoping to be driving Shellby this summer?

Cheers andy  :thumbs:

Yep, engineering in york is almost non existent, and my works been ravaged by resession and redundancies, but on the bright side I got an empty office to make an oven  :lol:

April fools day is a possibility  :lol:

No, don't think there's a chance for summer, only get about 4 hours a week to work on her, so too much to do. 22nd of March next year is my goal, my 40th birthday  :thumbs:

Back to the top
That's weird mate :lol:  if I don't get mine done for this summer I was planning to have mine done for my Birthday next year too, March 17th, also my 40th :thumbs:

Back to the top
That's settled then, awesome mk1 golfs and 40th birthday celebrations in march next year :lol:

Back to the top

Back to the top
Started rebuilding parts last night. Firstly the front hubs.

Bolted the adapter to the hub

Then added the wheel studs to the adapter. These are are overlong to cut down later

Next put the big disc in place

A big disc needs a big wheel! Mock built alloy.

A big disc also needs a lovely big Brembo caliper

And it all built up - plenty of clearance for the caliper

And my favourite photo  :wub:

was then going to press the bearings into the hub, but couldn't find any, sure i'd ordered some  :PSo tidied up the engine bay of the donor car. Going to mock fit the front suspension and engine, get it all right before going into Shellby.

Bearings and polybushes ordered, so hopefully start mocking it up next week.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Those wheels and discs look amazing Matt :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
Thanks andy, had a big smile on my face after taking those photos  :thumbs:

Bearings are arriving tomorrow, so hopefully get the whole hub built up and fitted next week. Hope it all fits, should be fine at 16x7, others have done it, just looks so big  :o

Back to the top
Bushes, bearings and a replacement seal kit for the gearbox have arrived  :)

Back to the top
Happy days

Back to the top
Cheers Andy  :thumbs:

So Wednesday night will be spent pressing bearings and bushes into place and hopefully get the front suspension built up.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.