Skip navigation

Project "little monster"

Back to the top

Project "little monster"

its next to me on my shelf 8)

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
mines in my head :lol:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

What type of paint are you using Paul?

Oops, didn't notice the thread had moved on. I originally painted stuff using rattle cans, but now I've bought a compressor I'll be reaping the financial benefits of proper spraying (the paint works out much cheaper in the long run).

The primer or stonechip is cellulose, the metallic base coat 1k acrylic and the clearcoat is 1k acrylic too.

Back to the top
Can you mix the use of acrylic and cellulose with no problems? Which is the one that's really bad to breath in?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Can you mix the use of acrylic and cellulose with no problems? Which is the one that's really bad to breath in?

You can spray 1k acrylic over cellulose primer so long as its cured (ie a couple of days after its sprayed).

The one that's really bad (ie fatal) to breathe in, is 2k acrylic, it uses isocyanate. Having said that, I sprayed the cellulose primer on without a mask, then a few days later had a bad case of diahorroea and vomited a few times too, but I can't say if it was down to the fumes or the kebab I've had.

So, I went out and bought a respirator (about ?18 ) just in case.

I've just sprayed 1k acrylic tonight, and I am still alive, I'll let you know if I get the runs again though.

Back to the top
:lol: Probably the kebab!!

Cheers for the info, will be a while off yet but whilst I'll get a pro respray done on mine, want to spray the under the arches and engine bay myself, as no possibility of sending shell out only - need the wheels and engine in the car to get it out the drive! (Very steep and tight access)

Andy

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Cheers for the info, will be a while off yet but whilst I'll get a pro respray done on mine, want to spray the under the arches and engine bay myself, as no possibility of sending shell out only - need the wheels and engine in the car to get it out the drive! (Very steep and tight access)

Andy

If I were to recover an immobile car off a steep/tight drive, I'd use a solid bar - are you sure it couldn't be towed like this?

Back to the top

paul_c said

Hairyarse said

Andy

If I were to recover an immobile car off a steep/tight drive, I'd use a solid bar - are you sure it couldn't be towed like this?

Not saying it's impossible, but wouldn't be easy as drive is off a narrow lane so you can't tow straight out the drive, in a straight line if that makes sense?!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah it makes sense but if a car can be driven, it can be pushed or towed the same route…..

I'd be very wary of doing a respray without taking the wings and doors off and glass out. Masking off interior and engine bay is fair enough.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

paul_c said

Hairyarse said

Andy

Not saying it's impossible, but wouldn't be easy as drive is off a narrow lane so you can't tow straight out the drive, in a straight line if that makes sense?!

you never make things easy do you!!  :banghead:  :wink:

Back to the top
This week's update. Once again, trying to work around the rubbish weather. This is the inner wing, notice the yukky brown/black stuff which seems to be some kind of non-factory tar based underseal and/or years of accumulated grime (wings should be body coloured underneath):

So, after a long time scraping and cleaning this off, with a degreaser gun, plenty of blue roll and an old toothbrush, I was able to wire brush any rusty areas (thankfully few) and spray on a zinc-rich primer:

Then today, I sprayed on 2/3 coats of stonechip, using the proper gun:

Also I have cleaned up the alternator, at first I degreased it but this didn't leave it good enough looking, so I've spent hours and hours with wire brush attachments, from a large brush on a power drill down to tiny brushes on a Dremel:

Back to the top
alright Paul how you getting on? just a quick quire really, i was just wondering what you were planing to do with your suspension? custom springs on adjustable coil-overs?

Back to the top
I'm going to try coilovers at the front and stock GTI stuff at the rear, as a first guess.

Back to the top
ok right cheers, i got coil-overs all round height + damping but with the extra weight i am worried the springs will need to be a higher rate? would you say the extra weight would be 60kgs ish?

Back to the top

ashtray said

ok right cheers, i got coil-overs all round height + damping but with the extra weight i am worried the springs will need to be a higher rate? would you say the extra weight would be 60kgs ish?

No idea really….60 kg is as good a starting point as any, though.

Back to the top

paul_c said

I'm going to try coilovers at the front and stock GTI stuff at the rear, as a first guess.

uprated coil over springs and stock rears??

Back to the top
Not updated for a while, but I've been gradually working on the car.

Brake upgrade. As stated earlier, I'm using a Mercedes W124 master cylinder and servo. As can be seen, its much larger than the stock component, or even a 9" Mk2 GTI 16V item. The clevis pin fitting is the same, but the rod is 20mm shorter and after a bit of trial and error the easiest way seemed to be to chop this out of the bracket on the left.

New servo

Old servo

Comparison

I've also been attending to the bodywork. Here I am working on the floor section on the left of the car:

Back to the top
That's one hell of a servo Paul!

How long do you reckon before this beast is on the road/strip?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
paul what part of the servo did you alter any pics of the mod?? i like the way the servo is as big as a wok :lol:

Back to the top
No fixed date to be on the road. The servo itself is unmodified, the bracket has a small alteration though.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.