Skip navigation

Project "little monster"

Back to the top

Project "little monster"

Good to see it making progress though!

I didn't read the start of this thread, I do slack at work, but I can't that much.

Have you change dthe suspension to compensate for the big lump, cause I must say, it's sitting rather nice in those photos mate!

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
While the car's been away, a few more parts have arrived:

Coilovers arrived a little while ago

Ferodo DS2500 front brake pads

Knocksense MS

Megasquirt ECU

Back to the top
More bits   :lol:  What do you reckon this build will set you back Paul ?

Trying to cheer my self up , my wallet has taken a severe battering lately finishing my 20 Vt .

Cheers ………….

Back to the top
Its cost approx ?3500 so far (including the car) and I reckon another ?1300 of parts are needed, to complete it. I've kept accurate records of all the costs incurred and I'll publish them once the car is complete.

Back to the top
oh i do love to see a fresh wiring loom and ecu ready to be cut soldered cut soldered :lol:

Back to the top
It's amazing how the costs mount up! Will be nice to see this finished Paul 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
how many cars

Back to the top
i personally think ?5k is amazing value for money when you think whats being produced!! especially considering what can be spent on buying and restoring a mk1.

Back to the top

bens_cab said

oh i do love to see a fresh wiring loom and ecu ready to be cut soldered cut soldered :lol:
me too, just reminds me of the fun i had!!

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
What's the minimum you need to connect before you can power up the Megasquirt ECU and read off the default map? Could I simply connect +12V and 0V and then plug the COM port into my computer?

Back to the top
in theory yes

or you could rig up a bench test like a stim

Back to the top
perminant 12v feed, earths and switched 12v live i think is all yuo need to power it up and read the map.

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
I collected the car from the exhaust place today. Here it is, all beautifully crafted in stainless steel. The header pipes are 44mm and the main system is 63mm (2?"), with a 6-2-1 merge which runs underneath the car, no middle box and a back box. Additionally the exhaust takes a similar, but slightly different route than stock and has custom hangers:

Here is it arriving back:

And this evening, took the engine out in readiness to repaint the engine bay:

Back to the top
Liking that Paul who was the firm who made it ?

Back to the top
It was a company called Alunox, in Wrexham (North Wales). They advertise in the back of Custom Car.

Back to the top
did you heat wrap it?

Back to the top
Well its removed at the moment, when it goes back it won't be wrapped, because its stainless, apparently if you wrap these it can cause issues leading to cracking.

Back to the top
ah right.

will you use heat shields on the bulkhead?

Back to the top
Unsure, TBH. Anyway, today's work was to clean up the engine bay. I've removed the wiring, it involved around 12 disconnections behind the fuse box and I documented these with pics, here is an example:

Also removed the steering rack, column, driveshafts and a few other hoses and cables, and its pretty much clean now. There's one area to weld, a bit of grinding (removing brackets and clips which I don't need) and then I'll wire brush and paint the 'bay.

Back to the top
I'd strengthen those steering rack mount areas if I were you while it's all bare, what with the additional weight of a VR up front they'll no doubt go regardless of just straight line fun

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better
There are too many online users to list.