Skip navigation

Project "little monster"

Back to the top

Project "little monster"

Hi bud, great work.

You've got the same welder as me, I was gonna ask if you have trouble with the wire feed being a bit erratic.

Then you answered my question with the next picture!

Back to the top
its also the same welder as mine and yes the wire feed is pretty bad on mine too :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Is that just 'pub' CO2 you're using paul or argon CO2 mix in a big bottle?

New house means that search for a new gas supplier is on.

Back to the top

MATTG said

Is that just 'pub' CO2 you're using paul or argon CO2 mix in a big bottle?

New house means that search for a new gas supplier is on.

Its Argoshield Light. Surely there's only 2 supplies - Air Products and BOC? Or are you talking about CO2?

Back to the top
Well I started off with hobby bottles then used CO2 because it was cheaper but not as good. I hadn't found anywhere to get argon/co2 mix from in big bottles yet. Guess I'll try BOC and Air Products their websites look a bit industrial in terms of scale do you buy direct from them or from an agent?

Back to the top

MATTG said

Well I started off with hobby bottles then used CO2 because it was cheaper but not as good. I hadn't found anywhere to get argon/co2 mix from in big bottles yet. Guess I'll try BOC and Air Products their websites look a bit industrial in terms of scale do you buy direct from them or from an agent?

I wasn't aware you could go direct - you'd have to go to a depot, open an account, etc. I've never actually needed a bottle refill/change (I had one done, but someone else did it for me). 17kg of gas goes a fairly long way, when you use it occasionally.

Also, welding with Argoshield sounds and feels different than CO2, it doesn't sound like its as good (to me) - but from what I read, they're better. Maybe its something to do with the strength of weld achieved, if/when you get it right??

Back to the top
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-gas.htm

Don't think it's that great a comparison given that it's just for a weld on top of a sheet of metal but if you look at the edges of the argoshield light weld it could support the claims that you get better penetration with it.

Back to the top
This arrived today:

Its a custom driveshaft and uprated/new 100mm CV joints. The left driveshaft is a custom, shorter length to take up the bigger CVJs and slightly wider gearbox, while the right driveshaft has been machined to allow the larger CVJ to be fitted.

Now I have this part, I can accurately position the gearbox which means:

- I can position and weld the gearbox mount, then the rear engine mount, then the front/middle engine mount
- I can figure where to cut the holes for the cable change gearshift's cables
- I can position and mount the gear lever mechanism.

So it looks like I have a busy time ahead of me!

Back to the top
there will be some updates tommorow then paul :wink: nothing like a delivery like that to get you motivated :wink:

Back to the top
Forgot to mention, those puppies are 300bhp-capable. Get your boosty woosty thingy going Ben!

Back to the top
just trying to price up the 2.ol conversion

pistons 83.5mm ?560 from the states

just need to find the right crack and rods now

oh and the biggest nos bottle i can find  :lol:

Back to the top
got my wideband lead this week turns out im over fueling on wot  :lol:  :lol: it was reading 10afr  :lol:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

got my wideband lead this week turns out im over fueling on wot  :lol:  :lol: it was reading 10afr  :lol:

Did the free air calibration go okay? I guess, there was nothing wrong with the lambda probe, it was a wiring issue or sometihng then?

Back to the top
yeah it just needed a free air cailibration it seems to pull harder through the gears now i toned down the fueling i was getting a rich missfire :wink:

Back to the top
got a t4 van now to run around in so next year im gonna been a trailor slag  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
I kinda fancied one of these:

+ towing a caravan, but then any commercial vehicle + caravan = gypsy. I admire dub76 for driving his car to-from shows, and simply setting his tent up and putting the camping gear into the tent, then doing a 14.0 1/4 mile, then driving it home again. So I'm aiming for that - a nice car which I can drive to-from shows too.

Back to the top
hes a fine weather driver so when its sunny he drives it as much as he can

any ideas where i can get a 92.8 throw crank and forged rods from?

Back to the top
Hmmm, can't think of anywhere off the top of my head, but I'd definitely favour USA for that kind of thing - the $ is really weak, so you'll probably end up saving money, even taking into account the postage.

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Here's the gearbox trial fitted:

At the moment, I'm not even sure the engine will fit in the gap provided. And there is no space for the Mk3 gearbox mount, so I have some head scratching and fabricating to do now!

There are too many online users to list.