project lead foot - resto underway!!

YOU DA MAN!!!!

your dash and gauges are awesome.
you have a good eye for detail

what are you doing in the way of engines

keeping the original or going 16v like you wanted before

shout me

Back to the top
yeh im goin abf, by the looks of it itll be runnin before yours hahaha. got sum goodies on the way too me for it.....pure dench!

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
the war on rust continues, after replacing the n/s chassis leg i was guna remove the exhaust mount hangin bracket thing an put it back on but it was too crusty for my likin so i thort id make a new one… might as well do the other 2 whilst im at it as they aint lookin to keen either.

i started with the mount that lives on the rear chassis. i call it the RUSTACHE.

i bought a 10mm steel rod and heated with the oxy acetelene and bent into shape. welded abit on the end to stop the rubber mount coming off. should av jus heated the tip up and hammerd it up.. durr.

i had made the other two but will prob do em agen to make the curved end abit better.

then i welded this dozzey to the chassis

got a facet low pressure fuel pump for the carbs deliverd in the week, guna run a carb lift pump from a cabby to this pump.
welded two bolts to the rear axle mount to mount the pump on.

bingo

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
welded in the boot floor this week, jus needs grindin back, yawn.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
aftre grindin back all the welds on the boot floor i cut out the rear seat pan and tonight i got the new panel tacked in, will hopefully get it welded in this weekend, twas a right pain to get to fit right as the new panel came with the seat pan raised up bout an inch so had to cut it and get it level with the boot floor the beat it flat and together with the boot floor and now weld it.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
tacked it in all round then i ground all the tacks flat.

then welded all around

still got a bit in the corner too sort out

need to fill this bit

with this bit

and put abit in here too then grind it all down.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
trimmed this corner bit an tacked it in

then welded it in.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
got some enigne bits in the post today from techtonics tunin in the states. still waitin for my pistons to come, will soon start the engine build. need a few more bits first though.

new valve guides, spring retainers and stem seals

heavy duty valve springs

set of lifters

con rods

vernier cam pulley

set of 276 degreee cams

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
got another piece of engine in the post today :)

a set of wossner pistons! 83.5mm , 12.4:1 compression ratio. these things are guna pump!

no stickers though :(

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
What's this car looking like now mate? Excellent write up and detail :)

Back to the top
its coming along slowly but nicely, been having to faff about with metal fabricators to try an make me sumin with out it costing me an arm an a leg so thats taken up alot of my time. update soon though!

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
hi,

small update here, finished the boot floor by fittin a home made sparewheel well as mine was of course well rotton. i was guna get one made for me but i was quoted like 200 quid so i thort id make it my self.

got a disc cut the size of the hole and a strip of metal to wrap around it.

i made a wheel well shaped template out of two pieces of chip bourd and sun bist o wood in the middle. ti then ratchet strapped the strip around it and tacked it all in place then i removed the wood.

i then bent down some tabs for it to sit on the boot panel with and to be welded.

i wanted to put the battery in the boot but didnt want it on show so i made a recess in the floor for a battery to sit in. was a pain gettin it right so the it fit in with the spare wheel. was very limited for space so if the battery is too small i gess i will ahave to have it out on show!

now that bits finished ive put it back on the jig so i can sort out the last bits underneath. been off the jig for a year!!!!

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
Love the pattern for the wheel well, and the battery storage is genius, good thinking!

Back to the top
look whos online..
like the wheel recess youve done..

Back to the top
haha i cant stay away. we need to get a multi meter on ur car an test the feeds an grounds to that immobiliser fing!

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
still welding… yawn, slowly…. yawn

made my chassis rails that ran along the floor pan from the wishbone mounts.
got the fabricators to fold us a chanel, i then welded the wishbone mount on and cut bent welded the other end up.

old and new

on the car

i also got a cupl new fuel tank strap mounts as i had misplaced mine…. made a sandblasting cabinet thing at work out of a bin so i could blast these.

welded in

this is guna be my gear stick nob. its a beer tap handle my mate nabbed me from cyprus. already has a thread init but i think it will be too small so ill have to drill it an tap it out

got a new rear arch liner, this is the old against new. i made a new nouting bracket for it to bolt to in the inner arch as the old one looked too crusty for my liking. just need to drill holes for the screws.

that is all for now, would like to say there will be more progress soon but my welder has packed up so need to fix that first!

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
I've just read your build and I think your mk1 has been through a rough time but looks like its starting to come together. Will be a very solid car :)

Mk5 golf tdi daily

Mk1 golf project

Corrado vr6

2.0l 8v beetle

Back to the top
best gear knob ever!!

Back to the top
yeh the poor old girl was abit abused it seems, all will be wel soon tho hopefully. manged to fix my welder tonight by replacing the wire feed line asit had become blocked an wouldent feed wire through it. can get sum wrk done agen now… he ses.

gear knob is def a gooden, new i had to have it wen i saw it. is the right colour i wanted the interior to be aswell! score!

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
Wow that little golf has had more surgery than michael jackson eh shamon mo fo lol,difference being when its finished it wont look like some kind of circus freak haha.Thats some blood sweat and a lot of tears il for you i bet! Got to admire the hours youput in fella i applaud you.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.