Skip navigation

My Resto 1982.... New engine start videos.

Back to the top

My Resto 1982.... ENGINE START! With video!

Yeah I can always sell it if it doesn't fit anyway. You have got me looking a loads of connectors and electrical parts now. lol. Love it.

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
yeah its my favourite electricals site :D

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Haha. I like browsing round maplins as well. Even if I don't need anything. Turns out that that wasn't the right plug. But i looked the loom over again and found the right one. So I was happy. This is the right one.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Another boring update. lol

Micro switch for the demister fan and heater

Decided instead of having my new system switch between the face fans and the demister I will just make them separate. So the fan speed switch now will just control the face fans and this micro switch with switch a relay on and turn on the fan for the demister and heater when you slide it into that position on the slider.
Bought some resistors for the speed switch as well. As the original one wasn't  up to the job. Didn't reduce the fan speed enough for my liking so got some high resistance ones.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Soldered in the new resistors in for the face fans. Work perfectly and at a good speed on all 3 speed settings. These replace the massive old style resistor.

Also got sent some wire interference shielding for FREEEE. lol. Just emailed a company i found on google and they said they would send it to me for free. 25 meters of it.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Didn't get a picture of the resistors yesterday so here is one.

Very close to finishing the wiring now. Just need to connect up the oil temp and pressure sensor wires up. I wired them up to the gauges but need to feed them through the chassis to wire them into the sensors. And I still need the pressure sensor. I also wired in the face fans and the demister fan and put in some wiring for the speakers.

Here's a shot of my finished fuse box with all the extra fuses and relays. Quite a few extra lol.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Ventalation system is done now.

Modified the plastic vent that attached the air box to the screen demister vents today and fitted my new air vent with the computer fans attached. Thanks to richievr for the air vents!

Before

After

And fitted the micro switch and it works.

Need to weld up a bracket to hold the motor.
And i fitted the aerial.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Wiring up the rear lights. Working lovely now.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Made up a little bracket for the demister today and decided where I wanted the ECU.

ECU in the cubby hole so I can still get to the connection to connect my laptop up but still mostly hiden.

Also got the rev counter working. Have to use  the coil side of a relay to mimic a ignition coil output inline of the output from the ECU. Bit strange but it works.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Started making a bracket for the brake bias valve so I can do away with that stupid one on the rear beam. Going to weld it just behind the handbrake.

And I drilled a hole in the side of the throttle bodies for the air temp sensor. The plug sticks out a bit for my liking but it will have to do. Nowhere else it will go.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Tried using a rubbish hole cutter set I bought on ebay today. Useless. Said it could be used on thin metal. And wouldn't cut at all.

Fitted the pressure sender for the gauges.

And started wrapping the loom since its now FINISHED!! Looks pretty cool like this but this is the shielding.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Getting there mate! keep up the good work!

Big Lew

Back to the top
Cheers mate!

Little Christmas present for myself. Need to stop spending money! Woops! Missing a bit of glass but got for a bargain. Some would say bargain anyway.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top

lukeybabes said

And started wrapping the loom since its now FINISHED!! Looks pretty cool like this but this is the shielding.

Will the Screen shielding on the thoses cables be grounded?

Back to the top
Yeah it will be grounded.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top

lukeybabes said

Yeah it will be grounded.
Good to hear… We uses these at work which will make you job alot easier when trying to ground all thoses looms..

Hope this helps…

Back to the top
What are they? I'm only using the shielding on the sensor part of the ecu loom anyway.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top

lukeybabes said

What are they? I'm only using the shielding on the sensor part of the ecu loom anyway.
Solder sleeves.. They give your screen a good hermietical sealed joint to enable a good ground point..

Back to the top
I don't really understand the benefit of them to just soldering a bit of wire to the shielding and surrounding it?

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Got my quarter light pop outs in the post today.

Gave them a clean. They are the stick on type so need to buy some proper glue. I hope they still sell it in VW. And I hope the clip thing that holds the windows shut some with the bit that sticks on the window from VW heritage. Otherwise I have no idea where I'm going to get them.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.