Skip navigation

My Mot'd 1975 Golf LS

Back to the top

My Mot'd 1975 Golf LS

Thanks Everyone…. 8)

Hopefully i'm on target for this following weekend to finish the painting, spent 3 very cold, long evenings working on the doors getting the metal work finished on one and getting them both ready for paint this weekend.. fingers crossed   ..

I have a small paint question - I have noticed on some of the rebuilds on here that the support panels under the front slam panel-  the central one under the bonnet catch appear to be painted matt black - presumably to stop them standing out from behind the grill… is that a factory thing i guess?

Hope he doesnt mind but to show what i mean - Swallowtail_uk's 76

Cheers

Mark

Back to the top
Sure it was matt black from the factory. I did mine bodycolour, put the grill on and it stands out like a sore thumb. Bit of masking up, matt black rattle can and you'd never know its there.
Dave.

Back to the top
Yep should be matt black. You see quite a lot being advertised as orginal with glossy body coloured paint showing thru the grille.

The inside bottom corners of the A-pillars behind the dash are also matt black for those doing a full-windows-out-allover respray

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
i just click on your page looking for more painted photos of your car, but i see mine……i was like "have i click the wrong link? lol :)

i have no problem with using my photos and yes it factory painted…..i shell be painting it the same once done.

happy days ……..your car looks great.

75golf said

Thanks Everyone…. 8)

Hopefully i'm on target for this following weekend to finish the painting, spent 3 very cold, long evenings working on the doors getting the metal work finished on one and getting them both ready for paint this weekend.. fingers crossed   ..

I have a small paint question - I have noticed on some of the rebuilds on here that the support panels under the front slam panel-  the central one under the bonnet catch appear to be painted matt black - presumably to stop them standing out from behind the grill… is that a factory thing i guess?

Hope he doesnt mind but to show what i mean - Swallowtail_uk's 76

Cheers

Mark

Back to the top
Cheers, i have used your pictures a lot for reference while doing mine - so thanks for posting them all up.

No more pic's till Sunday eve, when hopefully the doors will be hanging on the shell.  8)

Back to the top

75golf said

Cheers, i have used your pictures a lot for reference while doing mine - so thanks for posting them all up.

No more pic's till Sunday eve, when hopefully the doors will be hanging on the shell.  8)

not a problem if you do need any detailed pics or not sure about something just ask mate, im pretty sure i will need a return favour one day :)  

Mine is totally strip out now, metal work is all complete, engine stripped and is details to a very high standard….just await for the car to go to the acid dippers then bodyshop and im ready to fit up.

anyway hurry up and hang them doors. :)

Bob

Back to the top
Well thats it after all the  :banghead: and the  :dontknow: ,and all the late evenings this week the doors had the final block down this morning and painted. It was out of time day and if they werent ready to go today then it would have been next year so i was kind of nervous as the paint went on they were flat.
They have been an utter nightmare from start to finish, with all the repairs they needed (inner and outer lower, rust on the top edge of the door and other places) and also after all that one of the doors after the welding developed a poppy middle panel which had been really difficult to get rid of… anyway they are done and have come out really nice.

Didnt get time to fit them today but will do Monday or Tuesday and hopefully the car can come home for the slow process of fitting it up. :)  :)

They are the same colour just taken on a different camera :lol:

Cheers

Mark

Back to the top
So tonight ……30 mins fitting passenger door and wing, 4 hours fitting drivers side and wing :(

There is a trick to swallowtail double bolt hole doors which may be everyone else in the world knows but i didn't and we had obviously just been a bit lucky when we tried the doors before - it took me about 30 adjustments to the drivers door hinges getting no where, and ended up thinking the door was out…. before i took the door off and tried to figure what the hell was wrong…..there appears to be no adjustment other than up, down and in and out, no lateral movement possible… except there is and its so unoticable that i hadnt spotted the hinge face where they bolt to the body are just the tiny bit curved and i mean a tiny tiny bit which you can barely see but putting a straight edge along shows up…
So basically you can lift the door by moving the hinges toward the front of the car (~ 1mm) by tightening the inner bolt first (nearest dash) and then outer after (gives a movement in the top of the door of around 1 cm) and problem solved.. i must have just lucked the passenger side first time…
Anyway after the doors were on the drivers side wing seemed to change from fitting to being from a Polo or something,but after some careful panel work on the inner part of the wing with no paint damage on the outside i finally got it all reasonably good for now considering there are no bolts in it..

No bolts in anything yet and the paint on the side is still to be polished but its finally looking like a car again  8)

I think just a little bit more playing to get this side just right :)

cheers

Mark

Back to the top
awesome........very very nice, thats for the door lining tip - wont be spending 4hours trying to do so lol....this is not the hard part, rebuilding without scratching her, good luck.

Back to the top
Cheers… yeh the doors was a real mystery - it was a sit down and look at everthing again type moment before the penny dropped….

Swallowtail_uk said

this is not the hard part, rebuilding without scratching her, good luck.

:) Im running at one tiny chip on the door and a tiny graze which should polish out on the wing…. im expecting a few more before the end… its funny no matter how hard i try to be gentle and super careful,  i seem to turn into an accident prone disaster around new paint work…. :D  :?

Back to the top
Finally started the reassembly - the excuse being i was letting the paint harden :).

I have been cleaning parts at home the last few weeks getting ready and then we moved the Golf to a friends house just down the road from where i live so i can get more done and easier…
 Every part getting cleaned and assembled as close to original as i can - the low mileage (but staggeringly rusty) swallowtail i broke 5/6 years ago for when i got to this restoration has finally become a great source of parts… if anything is too far gone, cracked or not an original part i have a second source which is a god send.

Difficult old job getting the Golf to the garage as firstly i towed it in the snow and secondly the drive had about a 1 in 4 at the start which we pulled up by hand..

Tonight i started by spraying the centre part matt black and then the really nice part of finally bolting the parts on, the grill is not on on the right as the clip missing, i only brought 3 with me..

hopefully a few nights on it over the next week or so..

Back to the top
Must be a great feeling bolting bits on, looks excellent ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
This looks amazing! Well done on all the work! Like above, must feel amazing!

Rich

Back to the top
Looks quality

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
wow, very nice.....i cant wait to get mine to this state.

Back to the top
Looking awsome. Feel for you pulling it up that slope. But its all downhill from now on (excuse the pun!)  :lol: Any pics of the swallowtail you broke ?  Your Dad must be well pleased to see his old car now.

Back to the top
This one gets my vote for thread of the year!! Love it, the colour the quality ..leaving the sticker on the back end :wink:

The fact it was your Dads and has been in the family all those years is just brilliant!!

Back to the top
Thanks Everyone 8) , yep its really nice to finally have it coming together.

Will have the day on it on Sat so i hope to get a lot done, and will post a few more pictures…..

Mark

Back to the top
looking good, cant wait to see the updates, Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Had a good day on it on Sat, concentrated on rear hatch and rear panel, latterly the passenger door and a bit more on the front end - although the wings are still not bolted on as i have to take them off again.
Still tons to do on all those bits but going the right way.

Still chrome insert to add to window rubber, bottom of hatch chrome strip and the badges and thats the hatch done.

#

having a few evenings on it this week so hopefully get the pass door finished.
There are too many online users to list.