Skip navigation

My mk1 resto

Back to the top

My mk1 resto

Carbs4ever said

si - just went on that link there - that has all the info i need for the upgrade! cheers again! that should be put in the lectric faq if it hasn't been added already

I knew it would dude… now get working on that bad ar*e car.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

Just a mini update as i haven't updated in donkeys

Car very nearly finished - getting it ready for MOT on 21st July.

it started first turn once i realised i had no 12v to the coil! doh! but apart from that it just burst into life!!! well pleased! carbs were supplied new from eurocarb so initial setting up was very good from them!! thumbs up! Haven't timing set up yet but will be done soon - the noise is immense…

I have loads more pictures and details to post which will hopefully help people doing mk1's

will update soon.

video is short as connection speed was 56k style murder that night

Back to the top
Looking good still! Looking forward to seeing more...

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
I hope there's going to be some pics of the work that's taken place in the interim ;)

Sounds awesome btw

Rich

Back to the top
its alive...... nice work, more pictures please

Back to the top
utterly awesome, glad to hear it started without a fuss! so nice to see a show style car with some real classic feel to it, superbly exectued, and the pics and hints are great too

keep it up
JJ

Back to the top
awesome - the attention to detail is amazing….are you really going to drive it  :lol:

just kidding, bet you can't wait to take it out on the road! :P

Back to the top
About time for an update:

First up bit of a summary of electrics

Replaced most of the spade connectors on the loom as they were old and some were broken ? used vw plugs where possible with proper housings and rubber covers

I revised the position of the ecu on the car and by stripping down the ecu loom of its cover I split it in two and fed it through the existing bulkhead grommets and rejoined the wires with solder and heat shrink. I mounted the ecu on the back of the brake mech base. This saved cluttering the scuttle tray and left it tidy.

New ecu stainless base

ECU in place

Moving on to VDO?s I made a new loom up for them and used vehicle wiring connectors to make it easily disconnected ? wires are colour coded with the wires in the engine bay.

Centre console with VDO?s in place and new leather gater from Newton Commercial

Dash was cleaned up and installed

Wiring small lights in ? was simple enough just identified which wires did what and nipped off the big light connectors and replaced with individual spade connectors

Result!

I hadn?t treated the rust on my second low mileage fuel tank and it had simply rusted back through after a couple of years (indoors!) so with having the heat shielding to install I whipped out the tank again and nitromors?d it and then treated it with deox c gel from Bilt Hamber ? this killed it off and I then had it painted vw metallic black by the same guys who done the car and then installed the heat shielding (this was slow work and the heat shielding is quite unforgiving so has to be cut in smaller pieces to follow the contours of the tank without rippling up.

Tank with rust gel and cling film to stop it drying out too quick (leave for 24hours)

Tank with gel removed and sanded to key surface.

Tank painted and heat shielding started

Tank heat shielded up ready to go back in.

Bumpers next ? new vw bumpers are dear and pattern ones are hit and miss (I managed to get a good rear pattern) a lot of the pattern ones bow upwards at the headlights so I got a vw bumper skin and refurbed my old front bumper bar! Saved about 60quid!
Bar blasted

Bar painted

Inidicators before cleaning

Afterwards

Bumper complete with smoked lenses

Thought a plumbed in extinguisher would be a good job so opted for the Lifeline Zero 2000 ? it?s a fair size so getting somewhere to put it was the challenge ? managed to get one of the larger rear braces which I thought would hold it perfectly.

Plumbed in two nozzles

One to soak carbs should the unthinkable happen mounted on the chassis leg (using an existing hole)

And one just off the scuttle tray aimed at main electrics at the battery. You may also notice my shiney coil cover!! lol

Steering now

You may have noticed that in your mk1 golf the steering wheel has a knock in it and can be rattled in the column?
 More than likely it will be either the bearing within the ignition barrel or the little bush that the bearing locates on?

To remove locking barrel just follow the Haynes and bore a small hole ? this allows you to press in the little sprung clip and with the key in the lock just pull the barrel out

Hole bored and lock removed

The original bush after 25 years ? the new bush and ignition housing sorted the steering wheel shake..

Wheel choice - Momo Prototipo last years Christmas prezzie from the wife 

Got a new carpet set from Newton Commercial and have to say it is really good ? fully moulded and fits perfect. Firstly I got some rubber backed car underlay from www.automobiletrim.com ? they have all sorts of stuff ? cut it to fit nicely and reduce road noise etc

Carpet in place

Unravelled the seat belts and washed them all with good old Daz and laid them on the top of a wall to dry off

If you want the seat belts to lie flat on the floor pan just pop off the cover and give the spring an extra rotation!

Then installed the rear floor mat from Newton and the back and front seats with fully adjustable bases.

As you know with the 16v on carbs the radiator is an issue so I bit the bullet and got one made from alloy which sits to the right of the bay and doesn?t block the carbs and with the swan neck water outlet the piping doesn?t get in the way either. I fitted it with a slim line fan ? if anyone wants dimensions pm me.

Throttle cable can be difficult to source ? I got mine from RCS cables on ebay and just drilled the pedal to take the cable

Then I heat shrinked the cable to stop it fraying

Then shot of it in the pedal

Then buy a VW throttle cable grommet for the bulkhead and with the alloy cable locater supplied just secure it with a nut to the bulkhead ? tightening the nut squishes the grommet and gives a good tight seal. Then cut sleeving to suit and insert cable.

Some gear linkage chrome work

More later on exhaust fitting, interior finishing and full paint detail.

Back to the top
wow 8O   that interior looks mint, seriously nice job.
looks like the end is neer.  keep it up.

Back to the top
quality… top job as usual. Really can't wait to see this car completed.

Back to the top

Back to the top
looks great - loving those seats!!!  :D

Back to the top
seats are great, second that the car is great  :D

Back to the top
amazing as per usual well done mate!

Back to the top
the carpet is mint, is it genuine?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
:notworthy:  Nuff said! :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
:| speechless again .  8)

Back to the top
Woo, it's like a new car! Wish I had the pounds to do my cab. that carpet looks beautiful, shall be putting that on my list for Santa for sure, mine is a bit loose at the edges.

1989 MK1 VW Golf GTi Cabriolet, 'All White Edition' - currently having a new blue roof fitted. Yes it's not white but it requires less Cif to clean :)

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

The original bush after 25 years ? the new bush and ignition housing sorted the steering wheel shake..

Have you got the part no' for the bushes ?

I've just pulled the column out & the bottom bearing spat all of it's balls all over the garage floor !!! :banghead:  :banghead:

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

Back to the top
i have just read this from start to hear an im gob smacked at the attention to detail and quality of the build!

hats off to you sir
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.