My mk1 resto

Back to the top

My mk1 resto

So which mag will feature your car first then Carbs?! :wink:

Stunning work as always! :mrgreen:

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
by the time im finished mags prob wont exist!! lol

Back to the top
Outstanding work carbs :clap: engine looks beautiful. Can you explain what the ABF steel gasket is :dontknow:

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Yes its from the MK3 GOLF GTI 2.0L 16V - it acheives 2.0l by having a longer through crank taller block but shares the same bore diameter as the 1.816v - this is a revised gasket for the higher power output of the mk3 - around 150bhp and is much better for higher bhp 1.8 applications as it is layered steel - 4 or 5 layer iirc.

Do not purchase a 6a version as it is for the audi bubble block which is the same height as the 1.8 but acheives 2l with larger bores so the gasket is non compatible

Advised to use an ABF one by a good mate and also Storm Developments.

only alteration required to the gasket is the honing out of the left hand side head locating stud hole (you can see it elongated in the picture) to make the positioning of the head a sinch without gasket movement prior to bolting down of the head

Back to the top
As always this project is just amazing, great work going on carbs… hope to be in town in Feb07, so I'm for sure coming to see the car in person. Out of interest I'm in the USA at moment so any parts you need just ask….

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
cheers si! 8)

Back to the top
Got the gearbox glass blasted last week and it did a really good job and left it like new! Thumbs up to Michael in A27 accident repair and alloy wheel refurbishers!

Before:

After:

The above pic is after taking the masking tape etc off and reapplying ordinary masking prior to painting ? in hindsight I should have got the casings blasted when the box was apart ? not doing this meant spending a bit of time sealing up the diff cup seals and all the rest of the seals and bits I didn?t want damaged by the blasting.

Then off to the painters for a few coats of BMW Sterling Grey ? same as the car

Was dearer than i expected - with ?40 quid of paint alone on it alone and they spent a bit of time deleting marks and pitts etc. But well pleased with it!

Then it was on to the engine ? crank pulley, new covers, tensioner, belt and timed ? pic shows the belt tension reading tool ? my mate brought it with him ? great bit of kit!

Then on to the clutch and fly wheel which all went together without any guff. Flywheel was soaked in Deox C overnight to clean the rust of it ? it is great stuff!

Still have a bit to do ? rocker cover needs a final polish and screwed down and a few other things before bolting the g?box on and getting it into the bay.

More next week.
 :)

Back to the top
Amazing what the glass beads have done! Pricey job to have done?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
no - only a tenner! 8)

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

no - only a tenner! 8)
8O Cheap!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Mmmm. Looking real nice n clean. I wouldn't want to take it out on the road if it glemaed that much!

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Big day in the build! Engine in!

First off big thanks to my Dad and my Brother for giving me a hand with the lifting etc!

Got the old pulley blocks into place and the telescopic tubes (with out the inserts) which I made to support the car earlier in the build..

Cardboard to protect the paintwork from the chains. We then put the engine on a bit of plastic card which made it very easy to slide over the floor once we had the car hoisted up about 3 feet

Hoisted up like that gives plenty of room to sort out bolts and clean paint off threads etc! Not to mention get a pic of the floor pan:

Then we pulled the engine over till it was in the bay area and let the car down and put the chains on the engine to lift it into place.

Then it was time to get the left and right mount bolts in place and the rearward gearbox mount ? haven?t put the front on yet as the starter motor laquer hadn?t dried fully.

Pleased with how gearbox blends in to the bay! Also plenty of room for standard 16v dizzy cap!

Have to say that engine went in very painlessly and with no scratches to any paintwork! Again thanks to Dad and Nath for the extra 4 hands.

Back to the top
That looks a good way to do it, lifting the car up over the engine… Plenty of room for a 16v dizzy cap… <edit> :oops: Had a few jars when I posted!</edit>

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
WOW this build is really coming together now. well done on the progress, engine looks great in the engine bay.

Back to the top
im sure i can see a nice shiny new masre cylinder with servo fitted in the above  pic??!!! good job their mate best way to put put engine in if you've had the bay painted, good work looks factory :wink:

Back to the top
Come on carbs there must be some update to keep us all glued to the progress of this amazing mk1...?!

Back to the top
unfortunately not!

did screw the carbs on on saturday and the alternator to see what the whole thing is like - need a longer alternator bracket which is being made at the minute out of stainless and a shorter belt.

next on the list is - finish inlet manifold polishing - get a vacumm take off milled into it then bend some alloy tubing to link the servo up with the inlet then start on a template for the rad then get the water hosing sorted then mount the carbs and plum them in mount filter king etc then wiring/headcloth/windows/carpet/interior………………….. 8O

must get goin!

Back to the top
Looking very very sweet my man!

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

unfortunately not!

did screw the carbs on on saturday and the alternator to see what the whole thing is like - need a longer alternator bracket which is being made at the minute out of stainless and a shorter belt.

next on the list is - finish inlet manifold polishing - get a vacumm take off milled into it then bend some alloy tubing to link the servo up with the inlet then start on a template for the rad then get the water hosing sorted then mount the carbs and plum them in mount filter king etc then wiring/headcloth/windows/carpet/interior………………….. 8O

must get goin!

rrrrrrrrrr the list of work to complete…. make sure you get pictures of the progress on this work…  keep the great work up.

Back to the top
cheers

i'll take plenty of piccies. :D
There are too many online users to list.