Skip navigation

My mk1 beginners engine rebuild - WILL IT START?!?!?

Back to the top

My mk1 beginners engine rebuild - WILL IT START?!?!?

good news mate

i will keep them in mind when i need one

Banner

Back to the top
Oo….new manifold! Looks like something i can add on my shopping list. Price looks ok to me…

Spud, how'd u paint ur engine block with all the little details like the "1.8" did u use another colour? or did u dremel it?

I was totally going to spray my engine block all black but when I saw ur little details, thought it would be nice to do something similar.

Would u mind if i "adopt" your idea? hehehehehe….

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

~What can I say? I'm just a GTI lover….~

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=60383

Back to the top

rabid_rabbit said

Oo….new manifold! Looks like something i can add on my shopping list. Price looks ok to me…

Spud, how'd u paint ur engine block with all the little details like the "1.8" did u use another colour? or did u dremel it?

I was totally going to spray my engine block all black but when I saw ur little details, thought it would be nice to do something similar.

Would u mind if i "adopt" your idea? hehehehehe….

Crack on Q mate it makes sense to add a bit of detail while it's out.  Basically I had silver spray for the head and black pot paint for the block.  I'd recommend POR 15 but I couldn't get my hands on any…. I sprayed the silver into the lid, got a small paint brush and went around the details… doesn't look the best up close but for a first effort it aint bad!!

I'd recommend the Raceland manifold by Tuningleader (it's the only one I've tried) BUT wait to see how the rest fits… it's by a different company on e-bay and the two might work quite well or not at all… Struggled finding a whole system… hope this one is a good one  :wink:

Thanks for the comments as always  :lol:

Back to the top
Spud

What exhaust are you mating the manifold up to then, also are you wrapping the manifold at all

Cheers Kenno

Back to the top

Kenno said

Spud

What exhaust are you mating the manifold up to then, also are you wrapping the manifold at all

Cheers Kenno

Hiya bud,

I'm putting on a mongoose one from e-bay… click here for the add.

The seller has good feedback and when issues arise he's tried to resolve them.  My delivery was very quick 1-2 days   8O

I thought about wrarrping it but read up on it and sometimes it makes it go brittle. Not sure how true it is.  What are the benefits of wrapping it bud?

Back to the top
To be honest i don`t know the benifits of either way, i am in the process of doing this with mine. I already have a ashley mild steel manifold and an OMP stainless exhaust, but i have been thinking of getting a stainless one.

I thought by wrapping it you are keeping all the heat from the bulkhead area and wiring etc.

I am not 100% sure

Cheers Kenno

Back to the top
best to speak to manyufacturer, the mild steel one i bought specifically said not to wrap.  if you wrap it it keeps bonnet temps down but it can also cause manifold to crack, also if wrappign gets wet it can cause corrosion.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thats right ashley don`t reccomend you wrap them, but i have read and alot of people do wrap them.

On an old post on here people advise to wrap them

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17964&highlight=ashley

Cheers Kenno

Back to the top
The possible damage outweighs it for me… rather not take the chance I think… ?170 it was so don't want to risk it really  :dontknow:

Back to the top
cool, get some heat wrap for your steering UJ to stop it baking :)

Back to the top
Do you not also need to keep heat away from the fuel lines, as they run along the bulkhead behind the downpipe(s)?

Rich

Back to the top
dont think it would be as much of a problem since they have a continuous flow of fuel thru em, but it certainly cant hurt!

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Crack on Q mate it makes sense to add a bit of detail while it's out.  Basically I had silver spray for the head and black pot paint for the block.  I'd recommend POR 15 but I couldn't get my hands on any…. I sprayed the silver into the lid, got a small paint brush and went around the details… doesn't look the best up close but for a first effort it aint bad!!

I'd recommend the Raceland manifold by Tuningleader (it's the only one I've tried) BUT wait to see how the rest fits… it's by a different company on e-bay and the two might work quite well or not at all… Struggled finding a whole system… hope this one is a good one  :wink:

Thanks for the comments as always  :lol:

Cool….i wouldn't mind using POR15 but we don't get that arnd here so i'm just going to use a high temp can spray for the block. Will try to figure it out….thanks for the info..

i'll look into the raceland manifold…looks pretty sweet from the pics…*jealous*

so, when do u think u'll be turning the key?

'82 Mk1 GTI

'86 Mk2 GTI

'06 Mk5 GTI

~What can I say? I'm just a GTI lover….~

My '82 Mk1 GTI Project

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=60383

Back to the top

rabid_rabbit said

Cool….i wouldn't mind using POR15 but we don't get that arnd here so i'm just going to use a high temp can spray for the block. Will try to figure it out….thanks for the info..

i'll look into the raceland manifold…looks pretty sweet from the pics…*jealous*

so, when do u think u'll be turning the key?

They said they'd give us discount if you mention the site.  Not sure how much though… wish I asked before I bought it lol !!

Turning the key - probably a few weeks my friend… making good some wiring, fitting hoses, the exhaust, checking torque settings etc soon…  I don't mind if it doesn't work as I'll get there… just don't want it to go bang and ruin the block/pistons/shells/valves etc.. soooo nervous  8O  :?

Back to the top
Right then.  Since the last update… there was a bolt that accidently fell into the bellhousing on the gearbox.  I put a magnet down there on an extendable rod.  Wiggled it a bit and… snap… THAT fell in there too  :banghead: !!

With buying a new house, work and the weather, only just got round to taken the gearbox back off and taking the bolt and magent out!!

There is a problem with the bolts going onto the elbow joint at the side of the head.  The threads just crumble.  I've been told I need to helicoil them so will be passing it to my dads mechanic mate to do that.

So to summaries… bit's left to do:-

Fit coolant houses
Connect the electrics
Stick a new radiator in
Stablise the oil cooler on the front panel
Fit the center section and backbox of the exhaust
repaint the metal coolant pipe as it was stood on and scrapped

I'm going to SORN the car and do the brake pipes, the brakes, fit a better dash and then bung it through it's MOT (was meant to be due this month  8O ).  Need to get the lights aimed right too to pass.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO BLOCK THE INSPECTION HOLE IN THE BELLHOUSING WHILE DOING WORK  :roll: - just to help prevent things dropping in lol

Back to the top
Top work,I like your methodical way of thinking.Should see you at AGM,all being well :wink:

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
yeah!.......what about the agm?

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

yeah!…….what about the agm?

It's 11 days away… doing a bit to the golf on Sunday so don't think it'll all be ready.  

Got fees etc for the house I'm buying, the turbo on the vectra diesel is goosed and failed on me on Sunday so day off tomorrow to fix that too  :cry:

Basically it's all mounting up.  Hope I can get to the AGM in A car but also got MOT and tax due on the golf AND the vectra just to add insult to injury… my savings will be well and truely gone by next month  :cry: …. it'll be worth it in the long run to tighten my wallet now but seriously gutted it's all hit at the same time.  Gunna try hard to get there for one of the days bud.

Thanks also Sean for your comments mate.  Makes it worth while  :wink:

Back to the top
Wow excellent thread really is im going to be doing the same as you know and this will really really help.

Many thanks

Back to the top
Not  looked at this before as im not really interested in the old 8 valve but just gone through it and nice one.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.