Skip navigation

My 1983 white MK1 Golf GTi project

Back to the top

My 1983 white MK1 Golf GTi project

studs said

hi mate,
I have been following your project since you first started & your work is spot on, you're building
a very tidy mk1 there. Keep up the great work, looking follow to your future posts.

Thank you very much!

I was cleaning and painting alot of engine bits yesterday and i will take a photo of them in a bit then get them uploaded on here.

The problem is with doing a car this old, 1 in 10 bits are knackered so i have to either fine a new one which is always discontinued which someone on Ebay has one and is charging the earth for, or you have to scout around for a second hand one!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

RoadBoss said

Clean!

Thanks!  Thats the look im going for.  When i started, i thought about going the totaly original look as i have alot of original GTi bits here.  As you can see, i changed my mind and gone for this look! At the end of the day considering what it will have cost me to do to my spec, im not going to sell it and it should still be a sought after car even if i dont keep it original? I hope!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
BEFORE:

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
AND AFTER!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
wow I am loving the look. Can't wait to the engine rebuild too.
My parents live near nantwich so i'll keep a lookout when I'm up.

Did you clean up those engine ancillaries yourself or did you send them off somewhere? How's you do them??? They lookk really smart

Keep it up dude!

Back to the top
I love white mk1s. Its already looking brilliant and its not even finished yet.

Where did you get the spats from then? I need a few sets.

Back to the top
Really nice project there slavic.

Love the colour, and the attention to detail on all the bits…

Scott

Back to the top
Looks fantastic!  Can't wait to see it finished.  Nice one!

Back to the top

Downster32 said

wow I am loving the look. Can't wait to the engine rebuild too.
My parents live near nantwich so i'll keep a lookout when I'm up.

Did you clean up those engine ancillaries yourself or did you send them off somewhere? How's you do them??? They lookk really smart

Keep it up dude!

Thanks mate!

I did them myself.  All i did was had a tub of engine degreaser and scrubbed them with a tooth brush (the wifes  :D ) then sprayed them off with brake cleaner, then wire brushed them, rubbed down the rough bits with some emery tape, sprayed again with brake cleaner and then sprayed them with your normal VHT spray in silver and black. The paint doesnt need primer and covers ace.

You dont have to spend a bomb on Eastwood stuff after all!  :wink:

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

ross_m said

I love white mk1s. Its already looking brilliant and its not even finished yet.

Where did you get the spats from then? I need a few sets.

I will see if i can get more and let you know asap. I deal with a VW trade parts distribution centre in stoke on trent and one of the parts guys there was really helpful. Not sure if he can get more, but i will try. They are cheaper than the guys on Ebay! There is someone on there selling them for £35.00 plus postage i think it is!  8O

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

smillsey said

Really nice project there slavic.

Love the colour, and the attention to detail on all the bits…

Scott

Thanks!  

You do 'built not bought' stickers dont you?  I think i want one for mine when its done! I saw one on one of my customers Polos and thought it was mint!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

juss said

Looks fantastic!  Can't wait to see it finished.  Nice one!

Thanks mate!  You car looks mint! I do like the look!  :D

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
This was this morning:

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Cleaned, painted and fitted in one day:

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Great project, fantastic finish.

I'm starting to reshell my MKI soon and it will also be white, so your project is nice inspiration.

Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work.

MK1 GTI

S3 (8l)

Co. Kildare, Ireland

Back to the top
My problem is now that the rest look mint, i need to remove the steering rack again to paint the same! It shows the rack up now i think.

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Love this thread - some nice attention to detail and restoration.  

Why throw away an original component if a bit of elbow grease gets it back to that standard!!? :)

My daily driver 1 series BM coupe is white - love it on the Mk1.

David
Poole, Dorset

Mk1 GL Cabriolet, 1457cc Manual, Papyrus Green:  Long term restoration of a car that's been in the family since new:   Project DEL BOY
Mk1 Golf GLS Cabriolet, 1457cc Auto, Yellow/Light Blue: Breaking for spares (anyone need a shell?): Breaking Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1457cc, GLS (Dorset)

Back to the top
What type of paint are you using?

Really inspiring stuff; proper resto and not just replacing everything, great work! When I'm back in Nantwich I'll keep an eye out for you

Back to the top
I have been using a Sperex engine paint which is also heat resistant. Im really pleased with the finish too and would highly recommend it.  This is the stuff: http://www.carpartfactors.com/acatalog/paint.html

Hope this helps?

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Does anyone know where i can get a boot for the bottom of the steering column? The one that covers the coupling.

Any help would be great!  :D

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.