Skip navigation

My 1982 mk1 Golf GTI project

Back to the top

My 1982 mk1 Golf GTI project

Looks good, how did the interior clean up?

Back to the top
great looking car mate. you can't go wrong with some ATS classics.  :y:
what offset are they? (front and rear)

i've got 7x13's all round with 20 offset and the fronts stick out abit too much, but yours look just right.

thanks, ash

Back to the top

MikeyBoy said

How have you managed to get a shine on it like that???

Proper nice motor mate…

I've machine polished the whole car using chemical guys scratch and swirl buff then chemical guys ez creme glaze the sealed with collinite wax, I do like a bit of detailing and I'm using a canon 400d then add a bit of photoshop, the paint work on my car is a bit on the poor side if I'm honest with ya, but if it has lived out side all it's life.

welsh-mk1 said

Looks good, how did the interior clean up?

I got all the water stains out of the seats, I'll get some pics later on.

dope_as said

great looking car mate. you can't go wrong with some ATS classics.  :y:
what offset are they? (front and rear)

i've got 7x13's all round with 20 offset and the fronts stick out abit too much, but yours look just right.

thanks, ash

not 100% on the et but I know I've got et0 on the back lol and 5mm spacers on the front.
But I've got 7x13 on the front and 8's on the rear.

Cheers for all the positive comments guys!  8)

Back to the top

Beenie said

I've got et0 on the back lol and 5mm spacers on the front.
But I've got 7x13 on the front and 8's on the rear.

nice one. i'd spotted the fat 8's on the rear. good to know the offset for if i ever find the cash too upgrade my 7's.

is the offset not printed on the face of the rim? i can't remember right now and mine are buried in the garage til summer…

your set up looks good though. :)

ash

Back to the top
ok the wheels are
fronts - 13x7 et20 - 175/50
rears - 13x8 et0 - 195/45

took some pics of the ground clearance today  :lol:

looks ok, nice bit of clearance…

oh dear, the sump…

and the exhaust middle box is like that aswell  :lol:

Back to the top

Beenie said

ok the wheels are
fronts - 13x7 et20 - 175/50
rears - 13x8 et0 - 195/45

mucho gracias mi amigo, i'm glad i'm not the only one with legally questionable rims. ;)

one more… what brand of tyres are the 175/50's, i had some pirelli 175/50 that were very flat sided (as opposed to abit of stretchy stretchy) yours look good in the pics.

thanks again.

ash

Back to the top
conti's  :D

Back to the top
fair size update from today.

Job in hand:
Water pump and thermostat.

again as I've never worked on a golf I was a tentative about taking on this job but since the haynes manual only gave the job a 1 spanner rating I couldn't see much going wrong, so this is how my engine bay looked before I started..

pretty standard looking and pretty grubby, couldn't have that, so off came the alternator, cambelt cover and water pump and out came my arsenal of cleaning products, so I started to scrub and wash the grime away, 40 mins later..

so decided I'm not really gonna get a chance to do any thing with this again once everything goes back on, so I broke out the hammerite!

then I lost the light for the day so moved up the the workshop to continue tinkering, and decided to clean up the alternator, which was typically grubby as the ally had started to corroded and rusty where the band in the middle was, so after a quick clean up..

Excuses the poor camera phone pics

Then I start to get carried away and it ended up polished..

I have nearly finished it but left it for tonight, also had a quick go with the cambelt cover which is badly corroded, the surface of the metal is badly pitted, so I ground as much of it back down to bare metal as possible and gave it a quick coat of primer, but it's still pretty bad, no point giving it a nice coat of paint as it will look pants, so I'm considering filler and alot of sanding or the most possible answer, copying it into carbon fibre..

I'll continue this tomorrow.  :)

Back to the top
Nice work, will be a good transformation one done

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
definitely, I'm gonna sort the cam cover, fan surround and that off side chassis leg aswell.

Back to the top
Good old spanner rating.  It has helped me do jobs i would have never thought of doing myself.

Back to the top
mini update,

couldn't be arsed today tbh.

but, i did get the water pump and alternator back on and took the radiator and battery out.

just this side left to do

and i've left it like this for the day

:)

Back to the top
nice work, every one loves a nice clean engine bay!!!! :D

Banner

Back to the top
Pm'd mate

Back to the top
not done much on the car recently as the weather has been quite nice so have been out playing on this

but chucked a few things back on the car today and got the horrible off side chassis rail painted.

I'm seriously considering painting the gearbox black…. opinions?

also what colour for the cam cover?

Back to the top
I'm a bit of a 'standard' geek. Black for rocker cover (can look good in chrome or colours but only if whole bay is done IMO) and o-naturelle for the g-box - just give it a polish :wink:  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice job so far,probably know this but i find that by giving the hoses a quick clean and then using tyre dressing they get a nice shiney finish,ideal for when you go to a show and a lot cheaper than new hoses.

Back to the top
I just got my rocket cover and cam belt cover sorayed the same colour as my car. It looks nice and original but really cleans up the bay.

Before:

After:

Empty head:

Watch out on my car thread I will put some pics of the cover in the bay asap.

Mighty looking mk1 you have there -

Pierce

Back to the top
cheers guys, black it is.  :)

so put it all back together today, took it out to find out the timing was slighty out, got home adjusted it, went to start it and nothing!  :banghead:  after alot of faffing around I found the fuel pump relay had given up. so I gotta go pick one of those up tomorrow. more money  :roll:

Back to the top
nice job, pretty inspiring, going to have to start mine

Joe

Black 1992 gti cabrio sportline
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.