Skip navigation

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

Back to the top

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

still ongoing with this - although going backwards

finished front panel is off to pastures new and a new one has been sourced.

photo updates soon - just making a flexible pattern of the whole bulkhead before it gets chopped out

Back to the top
Glad your still going on this mate. Was getting worried when it went quiet as it's one of my favorite builds. I am starting work in my engine bay now so I will be watching your build closley  :lol:

Keep it up the awsome work.

Back to the top
cheers mate

yeah has been a bit quiet of late - will be going backwards for abit longer but the end result will be worth it ( i hope) - mainly been working on metal finishing stuff.

hopefully get some pics up over the weekend

look forward to seeing the bay work

Back to the top
time for the chop

flexible pattern for the new bulkhead panel - to locate all the important details and cutting template

the result   8O

atleast i have better access to the bay now haha - few bits to hammer out here and there - then can start on the lead work

also - picked up a new VAG complete front panel for the mk1 - for the princly sum of 72 english pounds. not bad to say they are obsolete and cost twice that orginally  :D

Back to the top
8O  Fair play Mike,and I thought tackling the roof was tricky

This is going to be awesome   ,have you decided on a engine yet?

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
wow, need to see more mike.. i just registered to say i really like the work! well done, keep going, more more more.

Back to the top
really good work

Back to the top
got anymore to show us then mike?  :)

Back to the top
nothing exciting i'm afraid.

basically just been metal finishing bits on the bay - grind, sand, file, hand sand -  repeat.

hammer and dolly everything until its as flat and straight as possible - debating to lead or not to lead

slow work and not really update worthy

more soon i hope

Back to the top
hiya great thread,keep up the good work.i really want to make one of th erigs you have can you give me dimensions and sizes of the metal you used so i can pop down to b&q n knock one up myself cheers

White lhd 83 MK1 golf gti (long project)
 Blue rhd 83 mk1 golf gti (weekend toy)
 Skoda roomster (Daily)

Back to the top
I used 50x50 x 3 angle to mount to the body the rest is 50x50 x 3 box - the out riggers for turning it  over are 40 x40 x5
search for a metal suppliers or fabricators near by - they'd be about 10 million times cheaper than B&Q

Back to the top
awesome work mike, i think its time for some more pictures :)

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top
Nice work mate  tbh.

I need to do that with the back of my car….

Its wounded tbh.

Nice though, ncie.

Back to the top
thanks for the kind words

when i have something picture worthy i'll get some up - but for the forseable future its just hammer and metal finishing stuff

still got a lot to do until i'm fully happy but its getting there

Back to the top
where are you in the UK Mike?

BACK SOON..............

Back to the top

Back to the top
Few little updates,

drivers side turret - been hand finishing the metal work trying to get everything nice and straight  - still a work in progress but its getting there

made a start on smoothing the vag front panel i picked up - doing a few things differently now - this bit turned out good

carried the bump from the edge of the front panel through into the new section and tapered it out make it look natural

more soon

mike

Back to the top
Looking good mate. Your putting some serious hours into it  :o  .

I am on with my bay at the minute and it's taking forever but it will be worth it in the long run.

How are you smothing the welds down/finishing the metal? I have been using a grinder to get it close but not sure how to finish is. I was thinking of getting a finger belt sander.

Any help much appreciated  :D

Back to the top
serious hours indeed :banghead:

I only ever weld an inch at a time - then finish that inch then weld the next etc

First i knock down the proud of the weld with the edge of a grinding stone on the angle grinder - so i don't catch any of the sheet metal.

If i can get behind the panel i'll then hammer and dolly the heat effected area of the weld to stretch it back. Then i'll go over the weld with an air sander on a slow speed to knock down any high spots. Once its starting to look flat i'll use a da sander completely blend the weld. Then do the same to the next inch.

would avoid using a sanding disk on a grinder as they are abit harsh and build up heat very quick

hope that is off some help

look forward to seeing some updates mate

Back to the top
Sounds good I will give it a go and see how I get on.

You must have about 40 hours in your engine bay so far with that level of dedication. The end result is awsome tho looking at the pics, it will be a shame to paint it  :lol: .

I did think about using sanding discs on the grinder but thought it would be far to fast.

Thanks for the info.
There are too many online users to list.