Skip navigation

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

Back to the top

mk1 project - shell up custom rebuild- sheet metal work time

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=54336&highlight=
Link for the rear panel guide

the 20v engine is sold and its replacement have been sourced - i hope

Plans are brewing

got some more panels on there way from rich @ crazyquiffs - new vag wheel well etc etc

hopefully pinch a few hours on the car this weekend

less boring updates soon i promise - hope to have the car finished before the worlds petrol resources run out  :dontknow:

Back to the top
started work on getting my replacement wheel well in - genuine vag NOS panel
fit was bloody shocking panel was a good 6 mm too big on diameter and took some major grief to get it fitted in - only put the wheel well back it to hide some stuff it later on. - at least it didn't have any under seal to remove

major work has been getting the rear panel on - again genuine VAG but thankfuly fit was pretty good whilst the panel was off i smoothed the towing eye hole  

test fitted

clamped up

finished corner just with some etch primer on needs a good going over with the da sander and some hand finishing but pretty pleased with how its gone.

needs a good going over with the da sander and some hand finishing but pretty pleased with how its gone.

started to design some custom little bits - but will be keeping them on the DL till they're done

more soon

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
updates - only small and fairly dull but progress all the same.

was thinking of stopping the updates untill i had a decent posts of some more interesting stuff - not just metal work / grinding.

anyway

Had a bit of rot on the rain gutter - no real way of fixing it properly without chopping the roof section out completely. so i did just that

I then bought an entire donor roof and parted out the section i needed to replace and split that into its relative layers so it could all go back in like it was originally constructed.

Krusted everything - etched + zinc'd

heres the inner skin and gutter return clamped up

Outer roof skin wedled in and gutter section welded back in and dressed

Da'd and etched + guide coat - No filler

from here - i'll block the section back by hand and then chase any high / low points with the body file / hammers until i'm happy its as good as it can be.

next up is stripping back the inner rear arches ready for extending the rears 10mm and seam welding the rear turrets - hope to have the metal work finished up by the new year  8O
Mike

Back to the top
Keep the pic's coming Mike,always interested in seeing what you have been up to.

Takes a brave man to tackle roof skins,any more pictures of tacking in the roof skin ,just curious to see how the skin is fixed .

Have you soured another engine yet?

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Was a little concerned about doing the roof skin - but as I say its only metal

Sorry don't have any more pics of the roof in progress. but basic idea is….

the first pic has the underneath of the gutter welded to the main roof structure.

The next section is the outer skin and vertical bit of the gutter - this sits in the return on the first section.

the final bit is the outer skin of the gutter - essential a folded staple that pins the inner skin and outer skin together.

New engine is sourced - only really want the crank and block have some special plans for this lump.

more updates soon

Back to the top
good stuff! coming along nicely 8)

Back to the top

mike_B said

New engine is sourced - only really want the crank and block have some special plans for this lump.

So come on then, what engine you gonna bung into that bay dude?

Back to the top
it will have xx valves and 25psi+ crammed down its neck  :D

Back to the top
Very Impressed with the repairs to the roof :wink:

Engine sounds intresting.

Pete

Back to the top
WOW!!!!

now i dont know whether to call you anal or inspirational….. il go with inspirational! haha

seriously though fella, that is an awesome amount of dedication, and i cannot wait to see the final product!

you have some serious skills!

much much much respect!

Back to the top
are you going to give anymore away about the engine dude?

Back to the top
Project is kind of on hold for the next we weeks as it pretty much has been for the past month - off getting married next weekend

hopefully hit the garage abit more once i'm back and get things back on track

engine wise - nothing is too secret - untill the custom bits start.

but i'll keep it all hush hush till theres some proper progress - better that way

thanks for the interest

mikeb

Back to the top
Right back after a brief project hiatus to get married

its now back on ( once all my tools find their way back to my garage :P )

Having anoher look at the bay ( with my consulants) - after hand finishing alot of the bulk head so its all nice smooth and flat

i've decided to bin it  :D   - there's only about 25 hours in that panel -   :lol:

Just too many ugly bits on a standard bulkhead that get left over when they are smoothed- labelled all the bits i didn't like and decided the majority needs to go

Have some  plans that if i can make them work will hopefully look a treat - somwhere between factory and fully custom and not like an ugly as sin brick wall flat panel  

updates soon ( ish)

Back to the top
spent about 10 hours on the new bulkhead pieces - got one tiny section hand formed ( well roughed out)

this section replaces where the original brake mechanism comes through the bulkhead on the drivers side - dimensional similar - just without the lumps and bumps 8)

now confident i can put my plans into action

step 1 - make hard wood hammer form - fibre glass resin to smooth the surface transitions

step 2 - sand

step3 clamp the sheet in place - drill reference holes for if the panel needs to come in and out the form

step 4 - hammer - here is he roughed out shape - about 30 more mins of hammer work was needed before it could come out of the form

getting there

now just need to chase all the hammer marks out with a hammer and dolly / anvil until its fully smooth - trim and ready for the new bulkhead

more updates once the bulkhead is nearing completion - this might be a while

mike

Back to the top
your putting in some shift on this car - will look great when done - keep at it! 8)

Back to the top
Still loving the work mate. You are truely skilled. Carn't wait to see how it turns out.

Back to the top
As always top stuff dude.

I know exactly what you mean about the bulkhead, i must have put 30+ hours into mine now and still not happy with it yet.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.lol

Back to the top
yeah its a tricky one

very fine balance between smooth and clean and too smooth and "fake" looking.

I like alot of the factory pressings - just i dislike alot of them too. I didn't want the bulkhead to look like a patch work quilt under the carpets so its better the whole thing comes out  :banghead:

you have a build thread for yours?

mike
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.