Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

Love the seats - very retro race car…

What are they from?

There from a s1 Elise  :)

Back to the top
Long awaited update…..

Still been busy on the golf making progress but have been feeling that I am so close to finish but can't seem to cross the line!!! A bit like smudger maybe  :lol:

Anyway waistline trim is now fitted

Today I put in my new mint 2nd hand dash and wired in my gauges, oil pressure/oil temp/boost and momo wheel installed.

Gauges with lights off

And lights on

And the most exciting bit……. She's runs!!!!!!!

A long time coming, electrical problems were the biggest hold up and it was a combination of bad earths and an ecu wire which needs to see 12v at cranking and wasn't!

Anyway all electrics throughout are pretty much sorted and with the help of a mate we got the engine timed with my new strobe which I got from eBay. I bled the brakes in the week, so all what was left to do was take it for a short drive along the concrete roads around our site.

Gear change cables need adjusting and exhaust was knocking somewhere but I ran out of time today so that will need doing one evening, but I drove all of 3 miles and it felt great!

Here are a couple of pics in the sun!

The list of jobs are getting smaller and hopefully I can start thinking about putting her in for an Mot.

:)

Back to the top
Awesome car!like the engine work!

Back to the top
Heres a short vid of the 1st drive  :)

http://youtu.be/ar0trTst31w

Back to the top
Great to see it running, the car looks great!  :cool:

Nice gauge install too  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Great work Jimi, she sounds like a jet fighter!! can't wait to get mine running :)

Back to the top
Just read this thread from start to finish, all I can say is awesome work !!!

car looks amazing and some amazing mechanical on show as well

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Great to see it running, the car looks great!  :cool:

Thanks, definately a milestone!

RichG said

Great work Jimi, she sounds like a jet fighter!! can't wait to get mine running :)

Thanks Rich, I cant help myself from starting it everytime I go in the workshop, just love the sound from the g60. :)  

s1bar said

Just read this thread from start to finish, all I can say is awesome work !!!

car looks amazing and some amazing mechanical on show as well

Thanks for the kind words :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Jimi are you running without the ISV?

Back to the top

RichG said

Yes, no Isv! Idles a little rough when started but after a few seconds settles itself and even with the schrick cam it idles really smoothly. 

Back to the top

Jimievo said

RichG said

Yes, no Isv! Idles a little rough when started but after a few seconds settles itself and even with the schrick cam it idles really smoothly. 

So just blank off the throttle body. Does anything need to be done with the wiring?

Definitely makes it look neater :)

Back to the top
No, just blank it off and unplug it. I have left my Isv plug on the loom just incase I need to reverse it.

Back to the top
Car is looking and sounding sweet Jimi, you should be proud of your hard work dude, hats off :cool:

Andy.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Car is looking and sounding sweet Jimi, you should be proud of your hard work dude, hats off :cool:

Thanks Andy :thumbs:

Andy.

Back to the top
Had a few more nights on the golf to try and get closer to the finish.

Firstly fitted something every modified car should have!

Spent some time tidying the engine wiring loom and also have raised the ride height ast it was sitting like a $h!]ing dog! Also the exhaust was only around 75mm from the floor. Then I spent some time doing the front wheel alignment. The toe was done using the old fashioned method with a string line and the camber was done with a slightly more modern method, with a iphone app! 

Today i adjusted the exhaust, but it still knocks so will need more investigation  :(. Then I put another 30 miles on the clock to run the engine in, here are a few more pics.

Hopefully give it the first wash tomorrow as its very dusty!

:)

Back to the top
Such a nice look, very nice indeed  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking great Jimi. What exhaust do you have and are you running a supersprint manifold?

Back to the top

RichG said

Looking great Jimi. What exhaust do you have and are you running a supersprint manifold?

Thanks  :)

Its an ashley manifold and a jetex exhaust system.

Back to the top
Oh is that the 2.5 inch version jetex? How did you get on with the join between the manifold and exhaust?

Back to the top
The exhaust and manifold came with the car and there was a short joining piece to mate the two together, although im not sure who manufactured this part. I had to modify this part as where it mates to the jetex exhaust it stepped down slighty and was a sloppy fit, so i cut the end off and welded a larger diameter piece on to it. I also cut a section out and welded in a stainless flex to allow the engine to move freely on its mounts.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.